Contribute
Register

boot0 Error: The Official Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orleck said:
Just what I was looking for...

Question:
The con says having to use terminal, is that a con because you have to enter the command every time you want to boot from the drive? or is this a one time deal post-install/OS Update?

Probably because using the Terminal is not something most people feel comfortable with...

Once done it should be permanent, with no need to re-enter

dd if=/Volumes/"Unibeast Volume Name"/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

How does this command work if the drive is not mounted, i just get no such file or directory.

So I just ran into this problem, and I'm trying to do solution 2. I ran multibeast and reinstalled Chimera but it didn't work. I'm still getting the boot0 error although mine looks like this :
boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: done

Is there another option I should be clicking on in multibeast? It just seemed a little vague in the instructions to "4. Run MultiBeast, targeting System 1's drive"

I apologize in advance if the above is a stupid question, but I had the system built for me last year and I cannot get ahold of the guy who made it for me. I'm just trying to fix it myself because I don't really have any other options.

So I even copied the boot1h file off of a thumb drive that it can boot from, but I'm still getting the same error. Can anyone shine some light on this? Thanks!

i am having a similar issue. I guess i don't quite understand how you unmount the 1TB hard drive that lion was installed on. The option for unmount is grayed out when i select that Partition.

When i enter the code i get a permission denied error.

How do i unmount the drive that OS is installed on?

thanks

rml360 said:
How do i unmount the drive that OS is installed on?

thanks
You need to boot from installer media (Lion installer), Step 4.

Booya said:
Here the work around for those who don't have a sata to usb adapter. This method work for Snow as well.

Required a working hack or mac.
SATA cable.
USB flash drive - I use 1G.

1. Connect your drive to a working hack or mac via internal available SATA on your mobo.
2. Power on. Your drive will show up as and external drive.
3. Open terminal and type "diskutil list" without the quote.
4. Make note of the drive volume.
5. Go to disk utility and unmount the drive you just connected (not the drive you currently boot)
6. Format your usb flash drive as you would to work for a mac or PC and name it "boot"
7. Download the attached file, unzip and move it to your USB flash drive.
8. Open terminal and type
dd if=/Volumes/boot/loader/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Make sure you change the disk0s2 to the drive you noted on step 4.

9.Exit terminal and you are done.
10. Shut down and move your drive back and boot as normal.

If you don't have don't have another working mac or hack, just use unibeast to boot and make a clone of your drive. Install chimera and target the clone drive, boot into your clone drive and follow step 3-10.

If you do not have a spare drive to mack clone, use unibeast to boot into your main drive, go to disk utility and add a new partition, clone your drive to the new partition, install chimera and reboot into the clone drive.
Follow step 3-9. reboot and you than you can delete the partition you just made.

GL

This worked for me. I used one of the toaster style hard drive bays with my functional Mac Book Pro and used my Unibeast lion installer disk to get the file.

For other complete noobs the missing piece of information is this: this command copies a little piece of code from the unibeast disk to the new install disk. See the great instructions above about how to get your disk-id and watch out for spaces in the names of your drive (use \ and a space instead)

dd if=/Volumes/YOUR-UNIBEAST-DISK-NAME-HERE/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/YOUR-INSTALL-DISK-ID-HERE

thanks for all the help guys!

hey sorry , i m new to mac, how do I Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS Lion on.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:..................

please explain....., i believe everything is great except this error in my first boot to disk....

tthanks

edit: ok already found terminal. but how or where do I unmount my Lion drive?

how come people dont use this method which is so easy?? It seems like a lot easier than the large steps one above

Manually copying the boot1h file didn't work for me.
I started getting my error after doing a migration from my hackintosh to a MBP.

Interestingly, I still get the error with my carbon copy disks too when attached by usb. I'm downloading Lion again currently to make a unibeast thumb drive (lost my original), so we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back