ATI Radeon 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So i just updated ML 10.8.2 with the latest supplemental update. Lo and behold, what once took less than 10 seconds to boot (I use a samsung SSD) now takes more than a minute!! Please, anyone, tell me what could be going on here and how do I go about fixing it. Please !!!

Boot using -v and that should show you what it's getting stuck on.

My pc doesn't hang. It's just slow to boot. So that -v option won't do it. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Boot time takes almost 2 minutes after 10.8.2 supplemental update

So here's the latest deal with my hack. It now boots loooooooooooooonger!! ****!

Boots normally until the apple logo with a spinning indicator. After that, only a white screen appears with a cursor which I can still move around with my mouse (so definitely not a system hang). But at this point, that' when the looooooooooong boot takes place. It now goes for under 2 minutes before my desktop screen appears. HELP!

So here's the latest deal with my hack. It now boots loooooooooooooonger!! ****!

Boots normally until the apple logo with a spinning indicator. After that, only a white screen appears with a cursor which I can still move around with my mouse (so definitely not a system hang). But at this point, that' when the looooooooooong boot takes place. It now goes for under 2 minutes before my desktop screen appears. HELP!
Did you try making a clean installation? On my HP ProBook 4430s it takes about 37 seconds (I use HDD 5400 RPM).

Did you try making a clean installation? On my HP ProBook 4430s it takes about 37 seconds (I use HDD 5400 RPM).

This problem occured right after I installed the Supplementary update to ML 10.8.2
I use a 128 GB SSD (solid state drive)
My boot up time before the update was 5 seconds.

My pc doesn't hang. It's just slow to boot. So that -v option won't do it. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

That is why Mr_Pie_Guy1234 recommended to boot with -v :yawn:
You could see where it slows down. And that info could be helpful...

That is why Mr_Pie_Guy1234 recommended to boot with -v :yawn:
You could see where it slows down. And that info could be helpful...

The verbose mode lets you see command lines for tracing. The delay occurs right before the desktop screen appears. It takes about 2 minutes after the last command line and the desktop screen where there is only a white screen that shows up (no command lines appear at this point). That -v is not helpful, you dig?

Try looking at the system.log file, it is located in the /var/log folder. As soon as you can get to the desktop open a terminal and type "cd /var/log" then "cat system.log". Scoll backwards up the file until you see BOOT_TIME then scroll forward in time through the boot process - you will eventually see a large gap of time (where you are hanging). It will probably have some service that timeouts and that will be your problem area. When I had a long boot time and USB ports not working correctly I had to reflash my bios. It seemed that during my update from the app store something corrupted the bios table. Anyway, look at the system.log, it will show you more info than booting with -v.

The verbose mode lets you see command lines for tracing. The delay occurs right before the desktop screen appears. It takes about 2 minutes after the last command line and the desktop screen where there is only a white screen that shows up (no command lines appear at this point). That -v is not helpful, you dig?

Ah you´re right. You stated that after his reply which I didn´t read in detail. Anyway the way you describe it now makes it a little bit clearer.
So this seems not to be related to a changed kext as the supplementary update only has three modified ones, IOHIDFamily, IOPCIFamily and webcontentfilter.kext.
But quite a couple of frameworks, launch agents and deamons have changed. Maybe you could find more details in the console logs during startup (assuming logging is already active at that stage that you describe) which would help to identify which of the items from the update package could be a candidate for a rollback to the previous version.

Edit: ...I was interrupted while typing this response, so that´s basically what tjohnson5 already mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back