Contribute
Register

Black Screen with RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went to Catalina and subsequent beta updates, the screen always goes black during the update, but of course the computer is still updating. After 2 or 3 reboots, the screen comes back.

Unfortunately this isn't the case for me. :(

Anyone else with some ideas that I can try out?

I've attached a zipped copy of my EFI folder in post above. Let me know if there is any other piece of information that could help figuring out what goes wrong with my RX580 card.

Looks like you have a similar AMD card and similar (but newer) MOBO/CPU.

Would you mind sharing your config.plist and possibly EFI folder?

My motherboard is completely different, it is a z390 chipset, I do not think that the EFI would help you in any way as it is very customised with custom DSDT etc.

My honest opinion is that since you had stuff in Library/Extentions and you did not use the Vanilla method, it is pretty messed up.

You can find a more compatible guide & EFI here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-rx-580-10-13-4-10-14-4-10-15-0-ssdt.250028/

My motherboard is completely different, it is a z390 chipset, I do not think that the EFI would help you in any way as it is very customised with custom DSDT etc.

My honest opinion is that since you had stuff in Library/Extentions and you did not use the Vanilla method, it is pretty messed up.

You can find a more compatible guide & EFI here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-rx-580-10-13-4-10-14-4-10-15-0-ssdt.250028/

You are probably right.

My system worked just fine on High Sierra though, so I figured I would be able to get it working with little effort.

I've attached a revised efi folder which may work, but if not, will hopefully start you in the right direction. You'll need to work on the ports to keep within the 15 port limit (read about port limits and try Hackintool).

Attachments

• EFI user.zip
    22 MB · Views: 104
You are probably right.

My system worked just fine on High Sierra though, so I figured I would be able to get it working with little effort.
did you manage to deal with the problem?

did you manage to deal with the problem?

I actually just did! :D Just took me about 5 months or so....

I got inspired by the Apple keynote so figured I'd give it another go.

I added:

<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>

to config.plist which seemed to fix the black screen issue!

Now there seem to still be some issues where the tabs in Safari are acting up and the Download pop-up in the
dock is really slow (and seem to make everything slow), but at least I can get into Mojave!

I've attached a revised efi folder which may work, but if not, will hopefully start you in the right direction. You'll need to work on the ports to keep within the 15 port limit (read about port limits and try Hackintool).

Hi!

I finally got past the black screen! :)

It's still a bit iffy where the tabs on Safari are acting up, and the Download pop-up in the Dock seem to cripple the
UI completely. Any idea on what might be causing that by any chance ?

This is what I have under my Graphis section in config.plist nowadays, while running a RX580:

key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>EDID</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Orinoco</string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>