Contribute
Register

Big Sur native usb3.0 pcie cards - are there any?

I've bought an Inateck 5-port USB3 card from Amazon(Fresco chipset) in 2021. Worked fine in Mojave, still works fine in Big Sur. Cheap.
Hi @zipb -I have two of these cards in Big Sur and am not getting usb3 on all ports. Did yours work OOB with no mods?

Hi - I bought one of these to test - Big Sur 11.6.5 doesn't see it - are you running yours in Big Sur?
I have one of the older Inateck USB 3 expansion cards (FL1100) and I'm using it in an older Z68 motherboard. I'm not on Big Sur but they do work. One person in this thread mentioned that the M1 Mac mini uses Fresco Logic chips so theoretically it should work with Big Sur.

I purchased one of these USB3 cards from Amazon.co.uk - £29.99.

I have installed it in an old AMD Hack, into a spare PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.

This card works out of the box in Big Sur.

The card uses an Asmedia ASM3142 chip, which shows as an Asmedia ASM2142 chip in macOS. This is seen on a number of Asmedia USB cards in macOS and was reported to occur on some older Macs over at Mac Rumours.

I have tested the 2 x Type-A ports with a couple of pen drives and they work perfectly. Showing everywhere you would expect, except within the bottom USB window in Hackintool.

The two ports I tested had the appropriate speeds for the USB2, USB3.0 and USB3.2 Gen1 devices used, as can be seen in the two screenshots below.

View attachment 546182 View attachment 546183

Unfortunately I don't have any Type-c devices that I can use to test the 3 x Type-c ports on the card.

This is how the card appears in IORegistryExplorer.
View attachment 546181 Asmedia 2142 port USB card, PCIe x 4 device.

I shrank the port testing finds (red text), so all the ports from the card could be displayed on one screen. It attaches to AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext, which is a plugin for IOUSBHostFamily.kext within /S/L/E Folder.

The other Asmedia 1142 USB3 ports on this motherboard also work just fine in Big Sur and Monterey. These ports also attach to AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext.

This plugin contains entries for the two Asmedia controllers as shown below.
View attachment 546184
The AMD entry above the two Asmedia entries is for the USB Type-C port on an RX 6900 XT card.

This plugin kext also contains an entry for the Fresco Logic FL1100 controller.
View attachment 546185

Now just need to get my hands on a Type-c device to test the other three ports.

@Edhawk I have an ASM2142, but I'm only getting 5 Gb/s speeds. I can't seem to find any information on how to fix this.
USB mapping is correct, and I think everything is fine in IOReg and System Information.

I'm 100% sure that I'm using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) device for testing.

Any ideas?
Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 12.16.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 12.19.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Which device are you using?

Are you sure the cable connecting the device, if one is used, is also capable of working at 10Gb/s?

If you are using this Jeyi NVMe enclosure then it is not USB3.1 Gen 2.

Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 20.15.28.png

As shown in the main text block description for the enclosure.

Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 20.15.20.png This enclosure will only work at 5 Gb/s.

I bought one of these Type-C NVMe enclosures, which does work at 10 Gb/s.

Although I didn't pay the price shown now for this item.

Which device are you using?

Are you sure the cable connecting the device, if one is used, is also capable of working at 10Gb/s?

If you are using this Jeyi NVMe enclosure then it is not USB3.1 Gen 2.

View attachment 555947

As shown in the main text block description for the enclosure.

View attachment 555948 This enclosure will only work at 5 Gb/s.

I bought one of these Type-C NVMe enclosures, which does work at 10 Gb/s.

Although I didn't pay the price shown now for this item.
Hi @Edhawk, I can confirm with 100% certainty that the device + cable are capable of 10 Gb/s speeds from having tested them with Black Magic on a MacBook Pro.

The question then becomes is the USB port you are connecting the device through on your Hack set up correctly, i.e., to work as a Type-C 10 Gb/s port?

The question then becomes is the USB port you are connecting the device through on your Hack set up correctly, i.e., to work as a Type-C 10 Gb/s port?

I you're asking about port mapping, then yes I think it's all done correctly. Check out the screenshots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 2.08.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 2.08.41 PM.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 2.11.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 2.11.14 PM.png
    22 KB · Views: 35
A type-c port should have the connector Type (9) or (10) not USB 3. As shown in the table below.

Type Info Comments
0 USB 2.0 Type-A connector This is what macOS will default all ports to when no map is present
3 USB 3.0 Type-A connector 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 ports share the same Type
8 Type C connector - USB 2.0-only Mainly seen in phones
9 Type C connector - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 with Switch Flipping the device does not change the ACPI port
10 Type C connector - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 without Switch Flipping the device does change the ACPI port. generally seen on 3.1/2 motherboard headers
255 Proprietary connector For Internal USB ports like Bluetooth

The images don’t confirm you have the correct connector type set.

Back