Contribute
Register

Big Bertha's Big Brother:Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Dual Xeon Broadwell v4 CPU's 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get the QHUY one? looks like it may is incompatible to the Z10 board with the wrong BIOS:
  • Asus Z10PE-D8 WS (BIOS 3204): cannot power on when the 2nd CPU is installed; supports V4 (pre-)QS or production processors for dual-CPU configuration
Ouch! - I have looked on the sellers compatibility list and the Z10PE-D8-WS is on the list as compatible but there is also an added note that certain boards need a firmware upgrade as in a replacement chip and not just a BIOS update. I can't see if these are QHUY CPU's or not though.

On the first Z10PE-D8 board I purchased it was returned as it wouldn't enter any OS including Linux so I assume this was probably one of the boards that couldn't cope with those QHUY or does this code not apply to my already running happily 2603's ?

BIOS = 3304 - I noticed early on that all ES are 0000 as CPUID and the QS are properly numbered 0x046F or something like that, these CPU's CPUZ report show as 0000 so should be (pre)QS versions

Martin

Last edited:
with tech you can only loose money :) what Bios version are you running your Asus board?
Computers are the only tech I know that depreciate faster than cars!

Martin

Good day Martin...

There is a interesting topic (35+ Pages) about Xeon V4 ES processors over at servethehome forum...
I read all and basically there are so many different version even of the same chip (E5 2667 V4 for example) but with so many different development versions steppings, etc... so you can't say automatically if one V4 ES works on one board than all will work... the best way to know what chip you get is by the 4 letter coder EG "QHUZ" cpus they should be all the same... si reading that Artistus runs 2xQHUZ on the motherboard relieves me somehow :)

a very good seller on eBay is bloommax... they have the in my opinion best documentation of their chips, including highest single core frequency and highest frequency all + they used to give you a bonus if you report them a working CPU on a new motherboard they haven't listed, if not they give you a refund so they actively try to get a as good as possible compatibility list...

Since im not living in the US i need to rely on this kind of information since i cannot sent stuff back... all i buy is a one way road :)

Anyway lets hope for the best for your CPU//board combination!
...Max

Last edited:
I was hoping to wait for QS versions, but their price basically doubled and the ES versions were selling to quick so I pretty much had to buy now. I ordered from icomputer_parts_international and the information provided is pretty thorough so I have more faith with the order after reading ArtistUs is using the doubtful serialised CPU's. That seller also insists you provide your motherboard details for compatibility checks before they will ship the item(s)

Martin

Not liking this long silence, hoping it's because you're busy enjoying your Saturday Artistus ....
If not, I just thought that maybe your BIOS settings are set to boot the Windows drive first and it might be what's causing the problem too.

Martin

Gentlemen,

What is the best performance per dollar Engineering Sample Haswell-E processor I should buy for a new dual processor system? I

I was thinking the E5-2690 V4 seems to be that, but if anyone has any better ideas or suggestions say a particular ES revision or even best place to buy?

@Panamamax if you waited 1.5 month for which version to come out?

Thanks!

Gentlemen,

What is the best performance per dollar Engineering Sample Haswell-E processor I should buy for a new dual processor system? I

I was thinking the E5-2690 V4 seems to be that, but if anyone has any better ideas or suggestions say a particular ES revision or even best place to buy?

@Panamamax [/SIZE]if you waited 1.5 month for which version to come out?

Thanks!

For me personally it's a threads x MaxTurboAllCores divided by fps (KS6) thing since the performance is pretty linear with my rendering package. My current CPU's produce approximately 100fps rendering the KS6 Benchmark Scene
so for me the solution is ...

12Cores x 1.7Ghz = 20.4Ghz (equivalence) divided by 100fps = .204 fps per 1Ghz (E5-2603v4 ES)

So by using the above formula my chosen CPU's theoretically will produce ...

64Threads x 2.4Ghz = 153.6Ghz (equivalence) x 204 / 100 = 313.344 fps (approximately) E5-2683 v4 ES

We shall wait n see if that is indeed the result until my CPUs arrive. My former hack was a Z9PE-D8 that produced 205 fps with 32Threads so the above figure looks about right, I get just over 50% performance increase.

Martin

I don't want to hijack this guy thread but later I will open a thread and detail the way I got my boot drive drive

The sause on this mainly laise on boot flags and efi driver also bios settings

I don't want to hijack this guy thread but later I will open a thread and detail the way I got my boot drive drive

The sause on this mainly laise on boot flags and efi driver also bios settings

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back