Graphics
Radeon HD 7970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
basically I want to triple boot Linux, Windows, and OS X Yosemite. I already have three different boot drives but I want to be able use my WD Red 2 TB as a hard drive that is readable across all three Operating Systems. Is this possible in any way? I understand certain files such as .dmgs would not be able to be opened on windows but it would be useful for documents etc. Has anybody done this before?
Any advice is appreciated.

basically I want to triple boot Linux, Windows, and OS X Yosemite. I already have three different boot drives but I want to be able use my WD Red 2 TB as a hard drive that is readable across all three Operating Systems. Is this possible in any way? I understand certain files such as .dmgs would not be able to be opened on windows but it would be useful for documents etc. Has anybody done this before?
Any advice is appreciated.

Lots of folks have done this. The filesystem that is common across all three OS's OOB is FAT32, which is not without its problems (such as a file size limit of 4GB). ExFAT is another option that comes up a lot, but I believe it has some stability and performance issues. You can go with third party software and use NTFS, but if you can live with the 4GB file size limit I'd stick with FAT32.

I only use two operating systems - OS X and Windows 10 - I have found HFS + (for Windows) and NTFS for Mac to be excellent. Both available here: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

I have to say, I don't like paying for software if I can avoid it with a free alternative, but after the free trial, these were a no brainer for me. Never let me down.

I have my storage drive formatted as HFS and the Paragon software allows me to see the drive from Windows explorer and do with it whatever I need. I don't use the NTFS software for Mac so much, but essentially the same deal, Finder shows my Windows drive and gives full access if needed (caution advised!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back