Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Dear community!

Currently I use a super stable but outdated 10.14.6 Mojave build using i7-9700K and Gigabyte Z390 Designare with no videocard. I do music production and my DAW of choice, Logic Pro (and some other music-related software like UAD) requires newer OS to receive updates. I consider installing macOS all new, but my setup is not that fresh and macOS transition to ARM arch applies some limitations I guess.

So my question is: what macOS version should I take for a fresh system? Can it be the latest version, Ventura, or should I use some older version like Monterey? Do you suggest using new OpenCore bootloader or to stick to old trusted Clover? Thanks so much for your replies.

Dear community!

Currently I use a super stable but outdated 10.14.6 Mojave build using i7-9700K and Gigabyte Z390 Designare with no videocard. I do music production and my DAW of choice, Logic Pro (and some other music-related software like UAD) requires newer OS to receive updates. I consider installing macOS all new, but my setup is not that fresh and macOS transition to ARM arch applies some limitations I guess.

So my question is: what macOS version should I take for a fresh system? Can it be the latest version, Ventura, or should I use some older version like Monterey? Do you suggest using new OpenCore bootloader or to stick to old trusted Clover? Thanks so much for your replies.
use opencore

Monterey or Ventura, making sure your audio products work fine with those versions

use opencore

Monterey or Ventura, making sure your audio products work fine with those versions
Thanks, I guess I'll try Ventura first just for the experiment sake.

Thanks, I guess I'll try Ventura first just for the experiment sake.
good guide here:

Dear community!

Due to your software requirements, you need to run a newer MacOS, and provided the software you use supports and works with Monterey or Ventura, you should aim for those two. You will need to use OpenCore as the bootloader.

I use the same motherboard as you (with a slightly different CPU with no integrated graphics and a RX 580 GPU), but for me the "best" MacOS version is the older High Sierra and Mojave. Why? Because the software I run (VMware Fusion 11.5.3) works great on them.

There are newer versions of VMware Fusion for the newer MacOS versions, but those versions impose a severe performance penalty compared with what I have (due to what I consider "deficiencies" in the newer MacOS versions), so I have neither desire nor need to upgrade. I will stay with High Sierra and Mojave for the life of the hardware.

What I want to say is, the "best" MacOS version depends on what software you need to run. There is no single answer that will satisfy all of us.

One more thing. I strongly suggest you keep the "super stable" older MacOS Mojave installation, and attempt to install MacOS Ventura or Monterey on a new disk (but remove the old Mojave disk first). If your installation attempts meet with problems you will still have your old Mojave to turn back to.

Still on Mojave as I run Reaper or Studio One depending on my needs. Also have a lot of 32 bits plug-ins I don’t want to loose. The Z390 Designare/Mojave combo is running like a clockwork for me…

Edit: sorry, missed the part that you have to upgrade because of Logic!

Still on Mojave as I run Reaper or Studio One depending on my needs. Also have a lot of 32 bits plug-ins I don’t want to loose. The Z390 Designare/Mojave combo is running like a clockwork for me…

Edit: sorry, missed the part that you have to upgrade because of Logic!
am a huge fan of Mojave as well, it is just so responsive and stable
There have been issues running certain applications (R language, Python 3, VirtualBox as examples) which need tweaking and updating Xcode, but i've been relishing the work and the challenge to maintain this old lady :)

The main purpose of my hack is DAW use. I'm on Monterey now. Better than Big Sur, as that has a broken third party kext check. I needed to do a bunch of plug-in reauthorisations which is weird because I didn't change any hardware.

After this hurdle, smooth sailing.

My second hack is on Mojave so I can run older stuff with 32-bit plug-ins etc.

Using Logic Pro X, Cubase, Bitwig mostly.

Yes! I absolutely love this chipset. Like many of you, I'm still on Mojave. I also can run Catalina, but personally I'm not yet ready to give up certain 32bit software.

Would anyone care to share their EFI if running Monterey? I'm hoping I can run a dual-boot setup so I can dabble with a new verison of Logic.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to be so kind!

Would anyone care to share their EFI if running Monterey? I'm hoping I can run a dual-boot setup so I can dabble with a new verison of Logic.
hi @B-San
hv you looked thru the authoritative guide on this board from CaseySJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back