ATI Radeon 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It has been reported today (Sept. 26) that a bash / shellshock vulnerability is present in every form of linux/unix system including OSX. For those not in the know, Bash is a ubiquitous bit of software; a command interpreter, or "shell," that provides a basic text-on-a-green-screen interface to POSIX/UNIX and Unix-like systems. Bash is present on every Linux distribution, almost every UNIX system, many Android phones, thousands upon thousands of embedded OS versions on hardware devices -- and on every version of Mac OSX ever shipped.

According to TUAW:
"If your Mac shipped with Mountain Lion or Mavericks (i.e. you bought it in the last two years), it's highly unlikely your Apache web server is turned on. It also probably got turned off if you upgraded to a current OS X edition, so if you didn't take steps to reactivate it, your potential attack surface for Shellshock is smaller than it would be otherwise. (Not sure if your Mac's web server is on or off? Try visiting http://localhost/ in your browser. No page available = off, anything else such as "It works!" = on."

Read more here.

The questions is: Are hackintosh units even more vulnerable to this bash/shellshock bug?

I've seen a lot about it earlier I'm not worried until something happens tbh just make sure you have your firewall turned on also make sure your hack/mac is password protected

Thanks for the link. But, I'm not fond of downloading system files from sources I don't know and not coming from Apple themselves. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this shellshock vulnerability doesn't affect my system in any way. Hopefully, Apple will send an update for this problem.

Thanks for the link. But, I'm not fond of downloading system files from sources I don't know and not coming from Apple themselves. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this shellshock vulnerability doesn't affect my system in any way. Hopefully, Apple will send an update for this problem.
gnu.org is where Apple gets its sources for many commandline utilities..
opensource.apple.com is where apple puts up its open source code..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back