1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Bad graphics performance - Mavericks and Sapphire 7950 CF FIXED

Hi

I recently treated myself to two upgrades - moving from 10.7 to 10.9 and upgrading from a 5970 to two 7950s in cross-fire.

The Mavericks upgrade I did fresh and works fine (apart from iMessage) but the graphics performance is awful.

Luxmark of 1000 (combined) rather than the 2800 ish I was expecting based on the database scores.

Unigine is benchmarking at a tenth of the speed of direct X in Windows (70fps Win, 7-8 Mac). I know the Unigine is switching from DX to OGL but that can't be it totally especially with the poor Luxmark score.

I am booting Graphics Enabler yes with AtiConfig of Hamachi and it is recognising both cards as 7950. I tried Luxmark before and after setting up the framebuffer and it had the same scores. I was hoping having the correct framebuffers would help things.

These are Sapphire 7950 boost PC version.

Should I be trying other framebuffers? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Attachments

• Mac_Pro_and_About_This_Mac.jpg
    Mac_Pro_and_About_This_Mac.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 506
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    751 bytes · Views: 318
  • Unigine.jpg
    Unigine.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 312
  • LuxMark_v2.1beta2.jpg
    LuxMark_v2.1beta2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 341
Take off the cross fire bridge and re-do the test and see if that changes the result?

Thanks for coming back. Just tried with the cards running independently. I got the same result.

Any other ideas?

Otherwise I can try running the graphics off the other card, or try running one card...

Gareth

OS X has no SLi or Crossfire support so with or without the bridge makes no difference. OpenCL will use ALL available OpenCL capable cards regardless of SLi or Crossfire.

As for performance, it is known that 7xxx performance is worse in OS X 10.9 vs OS X 10.8.5.

OS X has no SLi or Crossfire support so with or without the bridge makes no difference. OpenCL will use ALL available OpenCL capable cards regardless of SLi or Crossfire.

As for performance, it is known that 7xxx performance is worse in OS X 10.9 vs OS X 10.8.5.

Thanks for that. Didn't realise performance had gone down so badly. Heres waiting for 10.9.1.

Gareth

What do you mean by 'down so badly' ? Mine only went down slightly and only on the OpenCL performance which I don't even use anyhow.

My two cards are scoring less combined than one 7950 in the luxmark database.

I am getting 7fps in Heaven (Open GL) compared to 70 (DX under Windows). I would expect the Open GL to be lower but was surprised at the gap.

Gareth

I have 2x His IceQ x2 7950hd in CFX and while not having quite as bad performance as you, but compared to the last developer's previews, things are not the same; LuxMark refuses to start, I get 10fps less in Cinebench, and movie playback in VLC/XMBC is unwatchable (stutters). Heaven, Starcfaft II and WoW are showing a fps dip but not much.

I don't think that your problem comes from Mavericks, my 7870 XT on Mavericks and exactly same Heaven settings :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 0.15.01.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 0.15.01.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 308
My only thought is I may have the wrong framebuffer. The sapphire boost is non standard with a DP, an HDMI and two DVI posts (one digital). Is there a better buffer than Hamachi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back