Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

Recently re-installed OSX 10.6.6. onto a OCZ vertex 2 SSD and everything is running great.

64-bit mode now works and it is super fast with an overclock on my i7930 to 4ghz.

one thing that is a bit strange is I get a pretty bad geekbench score. Around 6000 for both 32bit and 64bit modes (64bit slightly higher).

This seems very strange for the power of my system. I have the tonymac nvidia driver and CUDA installed for my GTX470 also.

My specs are below.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4.01 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.9 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): G88451235J4
Hardware UUID: F078F900-0541-569A-9187-3EC760544D4C

Any ideas? The computer seems to be running very fast, just the benchmark is off?

That didn't seem to make any difference, still about 6000 points

That is strange. I have an almost identical setup except using a 950 at 4.0 (shouldn't be any different speed wise), GSkill SSD 60 GB (shouldn't make any difference speed wise), and a 5770 (your video card is significantly faster)-- and I get 11600 Geekbench on 32-bit and 13000+ on 64-bit.

Do you have HT turned on or off in BIOS?

Karacho, I looked at the settings but couldn't see anything that stood out. Apart from the fact I have all the thermal and power management options turned off.

I also have HT turned off for heat and stability reasons but that shouldn't make a difference right?

Is there another benchmarking program that I could try out? Maybe its a strange geekbench thing?

You may check if your p&c states are really generated with ioregexplorer (from xcode) for the keys. I can't guide you about it now as I'm on windows :thumbdown: but search for cstinfo and you'll find the P states under that key.

well interestingly, I turned on all the power management/thermal features in the advanced core settings and my score went up dramatically to about 12000.

So whats the deal with that? With an overclock those settings could make the system unstable right if its trying to manage the Vcore at 4ghz?

(haven't crashed yet mind you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back