HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

Recently picked up a Dell 9020 USFF to give Monterey a go, and have had it booting nicely for about a week now thanks to trs96’s guide.

Currently trying to get bluetooth going with a AW-CE123H (BCM94352HMB) card that I salvaged from my previous Dell 7010 USFF running Catalina.
I've got the following kexts installed and enabled in my OC plist :
AirportBrcmFixup
BluetoolFixup
BrcmFirmwareData
BrcmPatchRAM3

Which has gotten wifi working nicely.
BT shows up as present, but doesn't switch on.
I tried an NVRAM reset after installing the kexts above and once since to no avail.

I recall on my 7010USFF my BT card showed as attached to an internal USB header in Hackintool, but it doesn't appear to in Monterey.
Do I need to update USB mapping?
Or might the mini-pcie slot in the 9020USFF be not wired for USB like the 7010USFF was?

In which case I assume I'll need once of those usb breakout adaptors and a BCM94360CD or similar

EFI and a few screenshots attached incase I've missed something obvious....

Attachments

• IMG_2772.png
    IMG_2772.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2775.png
    IMG_2775.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2774.png
    IMG_2774.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2773.png
    IMG_2773.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 38
  • EFI.zip
    18 MB · Views: 40
Hi All,

Recently picked up a Dell 9020 USFF to give Monterey a go, and have had it booting nicely for about a week now thanks to trs96’s guide.

Currently trying to get bluetooth going with a AW-CE123H (BCM94352HMB) card that I salvaged from my previous Dell 7010 USFF running Catalina.
I've got the following kexts installed and enabled in my OC plist :
AirportBrcmFixup
BluetoolFixup
BrcmFirmwareData
BrcmPatchRAM3

Which has gotten wifi working nicely.
BT shows up as present, but doesn't switch on.
I tried an NVRAM reset after installing the kexts above and once since to no avail.

I recall on my 7010USFF my BT card showed as attached to an internal USB header in Hackintool, but it doesn't appear to in Monterey.
Do I need to update USB mapping?
Or might the mini-pcie slot in the 9020USFF be not wired for USB like the 7010USFF was?

In which case I assume I'll need once of those usb breakout adaptors and a BCM94360CD or similar

EFI and a few screenshots attached incase I've missed something obvious....
may need boot argument:
brcmfx-driver=

probably only need one of these enabled:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>ExecutablePath</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
                <string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>

may need boot argument:
brcmfx-driver=

probably only need one of these enabled:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>Any</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>
I thought I had dealt with the the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' (as it apparently causes issues in Monterey) by setting MaxKernel to 19.9.9, but it sounds like I can just remove the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' entry completely?

For the 'brcmfx-driver=' option it looks like 'brcmfx-driver=2' (for AirPortBrcmNIC) is my only option, on account of AirPortBrcm4360/AirPortBrcm4331/AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG all being listed as removed for macOS12.

Will try the above and report back :)

I thought I had dealt with the the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' (as it apparently causes issues in Monterey) by setting MaxKernel to 19.9.9, but it sounds like I can just remove the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' entry completely?

For the 'brcmfx-driver=' option it looks like 'brcmfx-driver=2' (for AirPortBrcmNIC) is my only option, on account of AirPortBrcm4360/AirPortBrcm4331/AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG all being listed as removed for macOS12.

Will try the above and report back :)
Hmmm, unfortunately brcmfx-driver=2 in boot-args doesn't appear to have changed the described bluetooth behaviour. Still shows as NULL in system info, appears as per the hackintool screenshots attached to the first post, and wont turn on with the toggles in System Preferences or the Menu Bar.

Admittedly, I haven't removed the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' entry in my config just yet, as everywhere I've seen only mentions setting MaxKernel to 19.9.9 for macOS 11 and up. I've heard OC is very picky about kexts and plist entries being 1:1 to the point of not booting if they're out of alignment.

Is there a way to remove the 'AirPortBrcm4360_Injector' from the main AirportBrcmFixup kext? I assume then I could remove the plist entry.

It looks like you are using a 7020/9020 SFF or MT USB Ports kext for your 9020 USFF. Would be wise to make one that is custom for your 9020 USFF which has only 6 USB ports. Find the one BT is using and set that to internal (255).

I never bought or tested the USFF version. I had used the 7020 SFF to create my USB ports kext. That model has many more USB ports than the USFF does. It works for the MT or SFF form factors. It somewhat works for the USFF but it's not an exact match.

Last edited:
Here's the mapping I did for the 7020 SFF. Shows the 4 extra HS ports that the USFF doesn't have. HS 7-10.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Here's all the ports in your USB kext. HS11 is set to internal.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

It looks like you are using a 7020/9020 SFF or MT USB Ports kext for your 9020 USFF. Would be wise to make one that is custom for your 9020 USFF which has only 6 USB ports. Find the one BT is using and set that to internal (255).

I never bought or tested the USFF version. I had used the 7020 SFF to create my USB ports kext. That model has many more USB ports than the USFF does. It works for the MT or SFF form factors. It somewhat works for the USFF but it's not an exact match.
Looks like this ended up being the ticket :thumbup: Thank you everyone for the advice and assistance.

Stumbled through the USBMap instructions, and seem to have all my ports mapped now, including the internal one for Bluetooth.
It now shows as Active (although as a 3rd party dongle) in system info, appears as per the hackintool screenshots attached to this post, and turns on and off with the toggles in System Preferences or the Menu Bar. Mapped USBPorts.kext attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.29.44 am.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.29.44 am.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.29.59 am.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.29.59 am.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.30.27 am.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.30.27 am.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 19
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 31