Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5800
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am an editor and (trying) to build a Hackintosh so I can edit in FCP. I prefer Avid, but some people insist on an editor using FCP. I'd like to be able to run both on my Hack.

Anybody here running Avid MC4 or MC5 on their machine?

Hey charlzm, I am actually currently building a hackintosh for Avid MC5
here's my specs:

Gigabyte Ga-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 @ 4.00 GHz (overclock :))
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
HAL 932 Case
Cooler Master 850W

what about you?

imfunny said:

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still trying to get my hardware build optimized and I don't want to bug people with noob questions, like, "How exactly do I get my video card running properly?"

I mainly built this rig for FCP7, but I really prefer Avid and hopefully can run both in Snow Leopard. If not, I'll make the machine a dual boot and run Avid under Windows 7 Professional.

Mainly, I want to run CS5, Avid MC5, FCP7 and Pro Tools. This will be my freelance editor rig when I finish getting it squared away.

Hardware details are in my sig. If I can't get my video card to run properly, I may downgrade and swap the ATI into a Windows-only box I have.

imfunny said:
here's my specs:

Gigabyte Ga-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 @ 4.00 GHz (overclock :))
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
HAL 932 Case
Cooler Master 850W

what about you?

The actual editing software ran great, but I finally gave up on MC5 - it would never authorize properly. Some kind of problem with the "MachineID" value, whatever that is. I went around and around with Avid customer service (a call center in India) for three weeks, trying all of their suggested fixes until I finally had enough. I just gave up on having it on my Mac and put it on my Windows 7 installation (different HD, same system) where it installed perfectly and runs fine.

An aside: I'm having so much trouble getting my Hackintosh set up and configured properly that I may just give up on the whole Hackintosh thing. I've been trying to get it right for over two months and right now, it's badly gimped. I'm in the middle of a project in FCP7 that I may have to finish on a borrowed computer.

Update: I installed Windows 7 on the same machine and run MC5 on that. Turns out all my Mac problems seem to be related to having the MBox2 connected. Once stumbled on that solution, everything's been stable.

I have Just completed my hackintosh, and have successfully run FCP, abobe, and AVID MC 5 with mojo. I have a GA-H55-USB3 Board. do not let the computer go into sleep. it will not wake up with the mojo connected, if it is connected and you try to wake it your motherboard bios will be corrupted. I tried this 2x. and it needs to reload it's bios. anybody have any suggestions for a 1394B card?
Rob

what was the part # from microcenter

I'm running MC5, and PT9 (with an Mbox2 connected), with Adobe CS5 MS, Office 2011 for Mac.
The problem mentioned about not getting the machine ID usually comes from the system not seeing the MAC of the NIC properly. you will need to add this string to your com.apple.boot.plist in /extra
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>

I'm not having any problem with any of them. I had a problem with the nVidia video card, but fixed that issue with an ATI5870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back