Contribute
Register

ATI Raedeon HD 6870 seen as RaedeonHD NI40 on 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
brendo234 said:
Has anyone resolved this? I'm having the same issue. I boot with the option "GraphicsEnabler=No", but this results in my XFX Radeon 6870 showing as ATI Radeon HD NI40.

I unfortuntely don't have a 2nd monitor to (yet) to test if both DVI ports are working.

I ordered a Custombeast from Tony in the hopes that he could find a way to get all ports working on the 6870. Alas, even he can't do it. The best we can get is one dvi, hdmi, and the two mini display ports if you want the card to be detected properly.

HoosierInFL said:
brendo234 said:
Has anyone resolved this? I'm having the same issue. I boot with the option "GraphicsEnabler=No", but this results in my XFX Radeon 6870 showing as ATI Radeon HD NI40.

I unfortuntely don't have a 2nd monitor to (yet) to test if both DVI ports are working.

I ordered a Custombeast from Tony in the hopes that he could find a way to get all ports working on the 6870. Alas, even he can't do it. The best we can get is one dvi, hdmi, and the two mini display ports if you want the card to be detected properly.

:banghead: What a bummer. I'm sure it will work eventually. Maybe after the official release of Lion.

maybe i shouldnt by a XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 then? But im still running 10.6.7 because of sleep issues

In my opinion, I don't see the big deal. There's still 4 ports active. I'm still running three monitors. All it takes is an active mini displayport to vga or dvi adapter.

HoosierInFL said:
In my opinion, I don't see the big deal. There's still 4 ports active. I'm still running three monitors. All it takes is an active mini displayport to vga or dvi adapter.

yeah not really a big deal since i use 1 dvi and then dvi to hdmi adapter now.

My two cents, I have a XFX 6870 HD687AZDFC on 10.6.8. If I have PCIRoot = 0, it detects as a 6870 but my Second DVI does not function as others have noted. PCIRoot = 1 lets all the ports function but it detects as NI40 which seems to break a lot of things as mentioned. Couple I found to add to the list were Geekbench and Steam games using Source Engine. Easy solution is to use the Display Ports but I ran into another issue there where the display is garbled on every reboot on my DP connected monitors until I reconnect the wire or change the res on that screen and then back. (Yes, I am using "active" DP adaptors) Pretty annoying, about to make a new post about that.

akasurreal said:
My two cents, I have a XFX 6870 HD687AZDFC on 10.6.8. If I have PCIRoot = 0, it detects as a 6870 but my Second DVI does not function as others have noted. PCIRoot = 1 lets all the ports function but it detects as NI40 which seems to break a lot of things as mentioned. Couple I found to add to the list were Geekbench and Steam games using Source Engine. Easy solution is to use the Display Ports but I ran into another issue there where the display is garbled on every reboot on my DP connected monitors until I reconnect the wire or change the res on that screen and then back. (Yes, I am using "active" DP adaptors) Pretty annoying, about to make a new post about that.

I had the same problem. The problem was the adapter I was using. I switched to the Apple branded one and the problem went way.

I may have found some useful information. I've been looking at getting the gigabyte 6870 but I've read on these boards that not all the ports are working. Here's a post claiming that the 2nd DVI and the HDMI port are shared, and thus it is normal that the 2nd DVI port does not work when you have the HDMI pluged in:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion/index.php?t42016.html

Has anyone tried running ONLY the two DVI ports with no other ports connected? I wonder if the lack of the 2nd DVI port reported here is due to running multiple monitors with the HDMI plugged in. If so, then the card is actually fully functional, and this lack of a 2nd DVI port is not an actual lack of functionality due to OSX, but a built-in aspect of the card.

tomhukk said:
I may have found some useful information. I've been looking at getting the gigabyte 6870 but I've read on these boards that not all the ports are working. Here's a post claiming that the 2nd DVI and the HDMI port are shared, and thus it is normal that the 2nd DVI port does not work when you have the HDMI pluged in:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion/index.php?t42016.html

Has anyone tried running ONLY the two DVI ports with no other ports connected? I wonder if the lack of the 2nd DVI port reported here is due to running multiple monitors with the HDMI plugged in. If so, then the card is actually fully functional, and this lack of a 2nd DVI port is not an actual lack of functionality due to OSX, but a built-in aspect of the card.

I only had two Apple displays plugged into the DVI ports on my XFX 6870 and with GE=yes, only one DVI/monitor would work. It would boot through white apple screen with 2 monitors, then only one monitor would receive signal when the desktop came up. Changing GE=no enabled both monitors, but profiler showed NI40 and certain apps would crash (steam games, geekbench, etc...). Picked up two MDP to DVI adapters at monoprice, switched back to GE=yes and framebuffer= gibba, and everything works perfectly. (In fact, was able to play Portal 2 coop one one monitor and stream the world cup on the other.)

Also was able to get the above to work with one DVI and one DVI-HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back