UHD 620
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just purchased a Z97 Gryphon from ASUS. As soon as the new Devil's Canyon CPUs come out, I will get one (the 4790k) and try my hand at building a hackintosh on the new motherboard. I will reuse the following items from my current build:
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II
16GB G.Skill Ares 1866 RAM 8x2
256GB San Disk SSD

I will let you all know how it goes...

Hi - I am almost ready to begin my build using the ASUS z97 Gryphon motherboard. Has anyone else used this motherboard yet? If you have (or if you have used the z87 Gryphon), please let me know how your build went and if you had to do anything out of the ordinary to get it working correctly (like editing your DSDT)...

Thanks!
Andrew

I'm also very interested in this! Please keep us posted!

Just ordered this board, will have it next week.
The TB_Header is the main reason I want it.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning on doing an mATX build with 2-way SLI, and this seems this seems to really be the only viable candidate for that, other than the Asus Maximus VII Gene which is a good bit more expensive.

Since Apple doesn't currently support the Z97 chip-set, a better choice might be the Gryphon Z87 and upgrade the bios to 2004 which supports the new processors...

I do have a couple questions though regarding compatibility. I know that on the site, Gigabyte motherboards are the preferred options due to greater compatibility. From what I can tell about the Z97 Gryphon, it has compatible lan, audio, USB3... what I would like to know is, other than the general question about z97 chipset compatibility, what other compatibility issues should I keep an eye out for? Is there an issue with the UEFI implementation that could cause issues?

I am curious about the specifics on what makes a motherboard compatible, apart from compatible features (lan, audio, etc)

Thanks!

I do have a couple questions though regarding compatibility. I know that on the site, Gigabyte motherboards are the preferred options due to greater compatibility. From what I can tell about the Z97 Gryphon, it has compatible lan, audio, USB3... what I would like to know is, other than the general question about z97 chipset compatibility, what other compatibility issues should I keep an eye out for? Is there an issue with the UEFI implementation that could cause issues?

I am curious about the specifics on what makes a motherboard compatible, apart from compatible features (lan, audio, etc)

Thanks!

Asus 8 series and later dont natively boot from Chimera using the standard install, so when using them you have to use a slightly different method to install to the EFI partition instead. That is simple to do and is documented here. Alternatively you can use Clover instead.

Your ram and ssd look fine, as do the components on that board.

Asus 8 series and later dont natively boot from Chimera using the standard install, so when using them you have to use a slightly different method to install to the EFI partition instead. That is simple to do and is documented here. Alternatively you can use Clover instead.

Your ram and ssd look fine, as do the components on that board.

Thanks WD (and thanks for the PM - REALLY appreciate it.... I am unable to reply directly). I will definitely follow the instructions in the link, but my question I guess is more general, and more for my education rather than this specific build.

My question probably should go in a different thread/category... basically what I am trying to figure out is what determines motherboard compatibility? From what I have gleaned from the forum, the following seem to be the most common factors:
- Drivers for motherboard features (LAN, Audio, USB, etc.)
- DSDT
- Power management support (AICPM?)

What constitutes a "native" OS X install? Is there anything else? Some kind of "secret sauce"? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back