Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ ;

Still not a lot of success on my z690 with a TB LG 5k Ultrafine. Again, I am also using a DP LG, so two-screens here.

I updated the BIOS to 3101. Updated MacOS to 14.4.1. The moment you restart with the SSDT it kills the LG. I found that I can get it back by booting into Windows (using OC), and unnplugging/replugging in the TB cable. Then, once established that way using Windows, a shutdown and boot into Mac will USUALLY get me a two-monitor with TB Node functioning in Mac... that is, until you reboot.

I may experiment more when time allows, but given the LG 5K Ultrafine functions great without TB node activated, I'm going back to the original SSDT on this machine. I suppose it would be great if someone else out there with a TB monitor could also test.

Thank you again!
j

FYI the later BIOS versions 3302 and 3401 are totally buggy with my LG 5K thunderbolt display. Every time I shutdown I loose the thunderbolt initialization and have to boot into windows twice to get it back. On 3101 its flawless. I also tried with the new SSDT and its no good.

FYI the later BIOS versions 3302 and 3401 are totally buggy with my LG 5K thunderbolt display. Every time I shutdown I loose the thunderbolt initialization and have to boot into windows twice to get it back. On 3101 its flawless. I also tried with the new SSDT and its no good.
When you say it's flawless with BIOS 3101, is that with Thunderbolt Local Node enabled or disabled?

Gentlemen, I have been on hiatus. I just tested the new TB4 SSDT on z690 formula, BIOS 3401, tb4 NVM 36.58 macOS 12.6.8...

Excellent progress I notice.

Thunderbolt Bus activated for the first time on Maple Ridge, no firmware modification necessary. Note I am on NVM36 because it is necessary in order for USB4 devices based on the AsMedia ASM2464PD controller chip to attach to the system. The USB4 devices don't work with NVM31...

As can be seen, I have two such USB4 enclosures attached to the system. Hot plugging is working.

Extremely interesting progress, that Thunderbolt Bus was possible all along.... at least on Asus Intel z690/z790.

1713049226242.png

1713049490657.png

Now you know why I posted this in the Gigabyte Z390 Designare thread:

View attachment 581361

When you say it's flawless with BIOS 3101, is that with Thunderbolt Local Node enabled or disabled?
I mean that the Thunderbolt monitor works without issues, it boots shows BIOS post image, webcam, sound & microphone work. I can sleep the machine as well but on wake I loose webcam sound and mic on monitor but image is fine. Later BIOS revision's you loose BIOS post and monitor USB function (webcam, sound, mic) until you boot into windows twice and loose it every shutdown on macOS.

Thank you! Great to know that I should stick with 3101!

Casey, sorry for the question, probably you told us hundred times… which version of BIOS do you recommend for Asus ProArt Z690-Creator?

Thanks in advance
That is actually a good question. The answer depends on:
  • Are you planning to use 13th Gen Intel CPU any time soon?
  • Are you using any USB4 devices? If so, what are the makes and models of those devices?
  • Are you planning to install 48GB or 96GB or 192GB memory any time soon?

Hi all, not sure what I am doing wrong but can't figure to get this installed

I am attaching photo of screen error right at book and after I select the install option it get's stuck with apple logo

I am trying to install Sonoma

System is:

Z-690 wifi Pro (Asus) - BIOS 1720
CPU - I9-12900k
GPU - msi RX 6800 xt

thank you in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11.47.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11.47.02 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240414_235120.jpg
    20240414_235120.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240414_233354.jpg
    20240414_233354.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • config.plist
    38.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That is actually a good question. The answer depends on:
  • Are you planning to use 13th Gen Intel CPU any time soon?
  • Are you using any USB4 devices? If so, what are the makes and models of those devices?
  • Are you planning to install 48GB or 96GB or 192GB memory any time soon?
I'm also curious about this. I have retired my old Thunderbolt 1/2 devices and am no longer concerned with the older NVM compatibility. I also can see myself upgrading the CPU from 12th Gen.

@dehjomz How are the newer BIOS files on the Formula? Wondering if there are new bugs afoot.

Hi all, not sure what I am doing wrong but can't figure to get this installed

I am attaching photo of screen error right at book and after I select the install option it get's stuck with apple logo

I am trying to install Sonoma

System is:

Z-690 wifi Pro (Asus) - BIOS 1720
CPU - I9-12900k
GPU - msi RX 6800 xt

thank you in advance
Try:
1) Disabling SSDT-AQUANTIA-AQC113C.AML
2) Disable ALL bluetooth kexts

Also:
1) Don't ever post your config with your serials
2) Depending on your BIOS version, add slide=0 to NVRAM