Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

One display input should work, but I have no idea how the dock would handle two display streams coming from its single upstream link. Or maybe each of the two inputs go to a different Thunderbolt port on the motherboard?

One display input should work, but I have no idea how the dock would handle two display streams coming from its single upstream link. Or maybe each of the two inputs go to a different Thunderbolt port on the motherboard?
How I understand it is : GPU Display port to Motherboard DisplayPort X2. Then, from that it **should** work like advertised on the Caldigit website, that being one single Thunderbolt 4 cable from the motherboard to the dock and then a monitor plugged in the DisplayPort port and the second monitor plugged into a Thunderbolt4/USBC4 via a displayport adapter... Though, I have to look into it better to see what kind of dual screen Caldigit speaks of, is it two independent displays or a simple mirroring? From the screen shots it looks like 2 independent displays...

Just the fact of getting to the bottom of it makes me want to get it :lol:

(If only Apple would accept MST, the monitors could be daisy chained and that would be more simple...)

How I understand it is : Gpu Display port to Motherboard display port X2. Then from that it **should** work like advertised on the Caldigit website, that being one single thunderbolt 4 cable from the motherboard to the dock and then a monitor plugged in the displayport port and the second monitor plugged into a thunderbolt4/USBC4 via a displayport adapter... Though, I have to look into it better to see what kind of dual screen Caldigit speaks of, is it two independent displays or a simple mirroring? From the screen shots it looks like 2 independent displays...

Just the fact of getting to the bottom of it makes me want to get it :lol:

(If only Apple would accept MST, the monitors could be daisy chained and that would be more simple...)
macOS does not support multi stream transport so to do dual display you need to connect one display to the DisplayPort/HDMI output of the dock and the other display shall be connected to one of the downstream Thunderbolt ports.

I don’t know if one DisplayPort output from your video card (plugged into your motherboard’s DisplayPort input) will result in dual display support. You can try and see.

But why do you need to do dual display from the dock when you could simply connect the second monitor directly to the video card? Also, if I recall correctly, the dock allows one monitor to run at a high refresh rate like 144 Hz and the other one is capped to 60 Hz (at least that is how it functions when connected to Apple silicon).

I've been using the ASUS Z790 ProArt motherboard for almost half a year now. In this CaseySJ thread, I successfully installed Ventura, and so far, I haven't encountered any issues!

@dehjomz Thanx for the answer.

Respectively :
  1. Yes that is what I planned on doing, and what is recommended by Caldigit.
  2. One or 2 cables from the GPU to the motherboard, that is a question I asked myself right away. I have to dig deeper, but both ways are not a problem, it's merely a Displayport patch cable more or less.
  3. I plan to have my computer about 2.5-3 meters away from the desk (which is a raising desk). So I wanted a beefy dock to avoid threading multiple USB wires in my wall (Apple Thunderbolt 9.8ft cable mandatory, or maybe an active and longer wire). I found the Caldigit Dock, which would allow me to avoid threading 2 Displayport cables as well. And with the raising and lowering desk having the Displayport cables plugged into the dock is less messy. Hence the monitor shenanigans.
  4. You recall correctly, 1 monitor at 144Hz and 1 à 60Hz. And The answer to that problem is easy, both my monitors are 60Hz... Not a gaming rig by any means !

So yes, maybe talking about it put things in perspective and that solution sounds a bit overkill, but it tickles my fancy ;) And wort scenario, the Caldigit will still be a very comprehensive and powerful dock.

@dehjomz Thanx for the answer.

Respectively :
  1. Yes that is what I planned on doing, and what is recommended by Caldigit.
  2. One or 2 cables from the GPU to the motherboard, that is a question I asked myself right away. I have to dig deeper, but both ways are not a problem, it's merely a Displayport patch cable more or less.
  3. I plan to have my computer about 2.5-3 meters away from the desk (which is a raising desk). So I wanted a beefy dock to avoid threading multiple USB wires in my wall (Apple Thunderbolt 9.8ft cable mandatory, or maybe an active and longer wire). I found the Caldigit Dock, which would allow me to avoid threading 2 Displayport cables as well. And with the raising and lowering desk having the Displayport cables plugged into the dock is less messy. Hence the monitor shenanigans.
  4. You recall correctly, 1 monitor at 144Hz and 1 à 60Hz. And The answer to that problem is easy, both my monitors are 60Hz... Not a gaming rig by any means !

So yes, maybe talking about it put things in perspective and that solution sounds a bit overkill, but it tickles my fancy ;) And wort scenario, the Caldigit will still be a very comprehensive and powerful dock.
Understood! Makes sense!

What I don’t remember though is whether the one DisplayPort cable will, in macOS, enable dual display output. In Windows, yes. But I can’t remember if it does so in macOS. At the worst, just get a long DisplayPort or HDMI cable and route it from your GPU to the other monitor.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my hackintoshes for the last time till I make the switch to Apple Silicon. My systems now are 9th gen with z390 Designares and they are working great for professional work since 2019 (and ofc for the man behind this success, CaseySJ who have saved me many times when I had issues with them)! I have a small production company running by me and my wife most of the time and we use programs that have to do mainly with video editing (Fcpx, Resolve) and photography (PS, LR). So as of 2024 my hackintoshes are getting slow and the demand of today's standards forces me to upgrade the systems. Regarding hardware I'm thinking to go with 14th gen cpus (14900k & 14700k) and for motherboards ofc 2x Asus Proart Z790. I haven't seen a hackintosh build with Proart z790 but from my research I have come to conclusion that they are identical with z690. Correct me ofc if I'm wrong. Essential for me is to have smooth TB3 support and the 10Gbe lan port to work properly w/o issues as I'm going to use it with my Qnap Nas system. Can you please enlighten me about what issues may I encounter going that route and what is going to play and what not? Airdrop/Continuity/Wifi/BT, USB mapping, support etc. Mainly if the config.plist from Proart z690 is going to work with Proart z790! I have to mention that if anything wrong with onboard wifi/bt, I have also a couple of Fenvi T919 cards. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my hackintoshes for the last time till I make the switch to Apple Silicon. My systems now are 9th gen with z390 Designares and they are working great for professional work since 2019 (and ofc for the man behind this success, CaseySJ who have saved me many times when I had issues with them)! I have a small production company running by me and my wife most of the time and we use programs that have to do mainly with video editing (Fcpx, Resolve) and photography (PS, LR). So as of 2024 my hackintoshes are getting slow and the demand of today's standards forces me to upgrade the systems. Regarding hardware I'm thinking to go with 14th gen cpus (14900k & 14700k) and for motherboards ofc 2x Asus Proart Z790. I haven't seen a hackintosh build with Proart z790 but from my research I have come to conclusion that they are identical with z690. Correct me ofc if I'm wrong. Essential for me is to have smooth TB3 support and the 10Gbe lan port to work properly w/o issues as I'm going to use it with my Qnap Nas system. Can you please enlighten me about what issues may I encounter going that route and what is going to play and what not? Airdrop/Continuity/Wifi/BT, USB mapping, support etc. Mainly if the config.plist from Proart z690 is going to work with Proart z790! I have to mention that if anything wrong with onboard wifi/bt, I have also a couple of Fenvi T919 cards. Thanks in advance!
Hello @skroutz999,

Yes the venerable Z390 Designare is getting old! In some ways it is still the benchmark for compatibility with macOS. After all, not a single new motherboard on the market today has a Thunderbolt controller that we can flash.

That leads me to the following points:
  • If you search this thread for keyword Z790 you will find quite a few hits; one of them is this:
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 2.51.09 PM.png

• We can search this thread by clicking the Search field at the very top of the webpage (scroll to top and look at the right side):
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 2.50.44 PM.png

• Asus Z790 ProArt has an on-board Maple Ridge controller (not Titan Ridge) so:
    • Thunderbolt Bus is not available
    • Thunderbolt Hot Plug is problematic (unreliable)
  • Thunderbolt devices will work if they are connected and powered before boot
  • If your QNAP NAS is connected via 10GbE (not via Thunderbolt) then Thunderbolt Bus is not necessary
  • The on-board 10GbE network port on Z790 ProArt works properly
  • Regarding WiFi:
    • With Sonoma, Broadcom WiFi cards no longer work
    • With Sonoma, even Intel WiFi (using OpenIntelWireless driver -- AirportItlwm) does not currently work, but we expect a patch soon
    • Both Broadcom and Intel WiFi cards work properly with Ventura and older versions of macOS
  • The config.plist from Asus Z690 ProArt should be usable/workable on Z790 ProArt
    • If there are problems, we can ask Z790 ProArt users for help
  • If Thunderbolt hot plug is required, the only known option is to install a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge
    • If the card is not flashed, hot plug may still work (but hot plug may not be reliable time and time again)

Last edited:
Hello @skroutz999,

Yes the venerable Z390 Designare is getting old! In some ways it is still the benchmark for compatibility with macOS. After all, not a single new motherboard on the market today has a Thunderbolt controller that we can flash.

That leads me to the following points:
  • If you search this thread for keyboard Z790 you will find quite a few hits; one of them is this:
View attachment 578540
  • We can search this thread by clicking the Search field at the very top of the webpage (scroll to top and look at the right side):
View attachment 578541
  • Asus Z790 ProArt has an on-board Maple Ridgecontroller (not Titan Ridge) so:
    • Thunderbolt Bus is not available
    • Thunderbolt Hot Plug is problematic (unreliable)
  • Thunderbolt devices will work if they are connected and powered before boot
  • If your QNAP NAS is connected via 10GbE (not via Thunderbolt) then Thunderbolt Bus is not necessary
  • The on-board 10GbE network port on Z790 ProArt works properly
  • Regarding WiFi:
    • With Sonoma, Broadcom WiFi cards no longer work
    • With Sonoma, even Intel WiFi (using OpenIntelWireless driver -- AirportItlwm) does not currently work, but we expect a patch soon
    • Both Broadcom and Intel WiFi cards work properly with Ventura and older versions of macOS
  • The config.plistfrom Asus Z690 ProArt should be usable/workable on Z790 ProArt
    • If there are problems, we can ask Z790 ProArt users for help
  • If Thunderbolt hot plug is required, the only known option is to install a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge
    • If the card is not flashed, hot plug may still work (but hot plug may not be reliable time and time again)
Thank you for your time again CaseySJ! hot plug for TB3 isn't required as I will use my Lacie 2BiG for Backup from my NAS, and it will be online all the time.
Is there any PCI-ex add-on card that provides good WiFi/BT with today's standards such as WiFi 6E, etc.? That's why my z390 systems are still running Ventura... I don't want to bring troubles yet!
As I'm reading from your setup, only Sidecar is not supported which is great news as I'm using Airdrop, continuity a lot between my systems! I think that if the next macOS will bring Intel support, I can steal 4-5 years with in mind 2 years old OS that have support with then software...

About the Broadcom and Intel WiFi cards in Sonoma 14.4 Beta, there is an issue causing boot failures. In severe cases, reinstalling the system may be necessary. It is understood that the reason for the boot failure is due to the rewriting of the core network configuration environment by APPLE in the 14.4 system version, requiring an update to replace the IOSkywalkFamily.kext. At the same time, patching with OCLP 1.4.4 (nightly) version has been tested, and the issue has been resolved successfully!

Download:OCLP 14.4

INTEL BT/WiFI:
AirportItlwm-Sonoma-v2.3.0-DEBUG-alpha-3e1624d.zip

According to my testing, AirportItlwm 2.3.0 build 3e1642d only supports Sonoma 14.3.1 version and does not support 14.4 Beta 3. Once the system is upgraded to 14.4 Beta 3, it will lead to a crash when trying to enter the system. The solution is to disable the AirportItlwm.kext first and use the version of AirportItlwm.kext modified by zxystd for 14.4 Beta 3.

Sonoma_14.4Beta.zip

Attachments

• IOSkywalkFamily.kext.zip
    186.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back