Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

** Thread Update **

Because the Asus Z690 ProArt is no longer available, having been replaced by the Z790 ProArt, and because the EFI configuration provided here is generally applicable to the Z790 variant, I've added this note to the top of Post 1:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 043152.png

Consequently, I hope this thread remains current and relevant to what's available on the market. I'll adapt the build guide in Post 1 to any Z790-specific requirements as we discover them.

Any issues with the Mac OS 14.3 update, or is it safe to use?

What is the best option for WiFi & Bluetooth on Sonoma 14.3 for the most continuity compatibility?

I am currently running Monterey (12.6.3) and looking to upgrade to Sonoma 14.3 (using CaseySJ's guide). I use a Fenvi T919 PCIE card currently with the original Intel card still installed but disabled.

It seems the options are:
1. Revert to the original Intel card but lose most continuity features except Handoff and Clipboard
2. Continue using the Fenvi T919 with an OCLP patch that disables some SIP - continuity level after ?? Seems like maybe everything should continue to work?
3. USB WiFi - Chris1111 option - continuity level after ??
4. Some other PCIE option?

Just wondering if there are any other current options known?

What is the best option for WiFi & Bluetooth on Sonoma 14.3 for the most continuity compatibility?

I am currently running Monterey (12.6.3) and looking to upgrade to Sonoma 14.3 (using CaseySJ's guide). I use a Fenvi T919 PCIE card currently with the original Intel card still installed but disabled.

It seems the options are:
1. Revert to the original Intel card but lose most continuity features except Handoff and Clipboard
2. Continue using the Fenvi T919 with an OCLP patch that disables some SIP - continuity level after ?? Seems like maybe everything should continue to work?
3. USB WiFi - Chris1111 option - continuity level after ??
4. Some other PCIE option?

Just wondering if there are any other current options known?
Unfortunately the only option at this time that provides Continuity features beyond Handoff and Clipboard is number 2 (OCLP patch).

** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4 public beta, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome in my experience, as follows:
  • Designare Z390 -- installation completes, but system crashes and reboots after login screen
  • Asus Z690 ROG STRIX mini-ITX -- installation fails and returns to 14.3
  • Asus X670E Gene (AMD Ryzen) -- installation fails and returns to 14.3

UPDATE:
Thanks to this post by @AmigaOS, we can install 14.4 after doing this:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not default)
  • Disable all WiFi kexts if any
  • Disable all Bluetooth kexts if any
When installation is done we can re-enable SecureBootModel and the kexts, but AirportItlwm should remain disabled until a patch or new version is released!

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt, but I need a little hardware advice. I'm running that build (though with an RX 5700XT) with 2 displayport monitors and it works like a charm.

I'm pondering on buying a Thunderbolt 4 dock( this one). I was wondering if anyone has used it with this build and if so, with what results. (long shot, I know)

Also I am quite curious (and ignorant) on the display part of Thunderbolt. If I use that dock to connect my 2 27" monitors (not 4k), will it work ? Will it use the GPU and send the signal through Thunderbolt ? Will I loose display performance ? Sorry if my questions are a bit naïve, but I have never ever used a Thunderbolt device...

Thanx in advance !

Also I am quite curious (and ignorant) on the display part of Thunderbolt. If I use that dock to connect my 2 27" monitors (not 4k), will it work ? Will it use the GPU and send the signal through Thunderbolt ? Will I loose display performance ?
Well, the display signal will NOT jump into Thunderbolt wires by magic: You have to plug the outputs from your GPU into the Display Port inputs on the motherboard backpanel. No less cables, merely the ability to use shorter cables.
And then, of course, display signal will use part of the available Thunderbolt bandwidth so you'll lose performance elsewhere.

@etorix I naïvely thought the pcie of the GPU would share the video signal to the thunderbolt system. (like I said, I know nothing about it) Of course now having read the manual of the motherboard, the cable situation is more clear !

Shorter cables or segmenting longer cables is what I'm after really, for very practical and topographical questions :)

Loosing thunderbolt bandwidth is fine by me, i don't plan to have a ton plugged in at the same time. (and if there is a ton, it will be only very little things)

Thanx for your clarifications ! Do you have any idea if that setup would work with a hackintosh ? Maybe there are no reasons for it not to work, but I'd like to reach a comfortable level of certainty (let's say above 60%) ;) before ordering that 400€ equipment...

Back