Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

A flashed GC-Titan Ridge should work well on Asus Z690 ProArt with Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. We should be able to connect both TB 2 and TB 3 devices.
i thought you couldn't use a PCIe Thunderbolt card if you have Thunderbolt onboard .. don't you need to connect to a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard. I'm pretty sure the ProArt doesn't have one since it has Thunderbolt ports already.

i thought you couldn't use a PCIe Thunderbolt card if you have Thunderbolt onboard .. don't you need to connect to a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard. I'm pretty sure the ProArt doesn't have one since it has Thunderbolt ports already.
We can certainly install a Thunderbolt add-in-card even if the motherboard has on-board Thunderbolt and no Thunderbolt header. This was demonstrated a couple of years ago in the Designare Z390 thread and re-verified on Asus Z690 motherboards with on-board Thunderbolt.

With a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge we bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header. This is sufficient to power on the card and obviates the need for a Thunderbolt header.

We then use the HackinDROM website to generate a custom Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT in which we assign a different Bus ID to the add-in-card. Every Thunderbolt controller must be given a unique Bus ID.

Last edited:
We can certainly install a Thunderbolt add-in-card even if the motherboard has on-board Thunderbolt and no Thunderbolt header. This was demonstrated a couple of years ago in the Designare Z390 thread and re-verified on Asus Z690 motherboards with on-board Thunderbolt.

With a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge we bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header. This is sufficient to power on the card and obviates the need for a Thunderbolt header.

We then use the HackinDROM website to generate a custom Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT in which we assign a different Bus ID to the add-in-card. Every Thunderbolt controller must be given a unique Bus ID.
ahh.. pretty cool

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 2.47.08 PM.png
I have the Z690 Creator. How do I create a USB port map SSDT that enable HS14?

View attachment 575260I have the Z690 Creator. How do I create a USB port map SSDT that enable HS14?
This is explained in the build guide in Post 1 (Tech Talk -> On-Board Devices). The short answer is this:
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 1.57.36 PM.png

Also uncheck XhciPortLimit when using the 15-port SSDT.

This is explained in the build guide in Post 1 (Tech Talk -> On-Board Devices). The short answer is this:
View attachment 575261

Also uncheck XhciPortLimit when using the 15-port SSDT.
Thanks so much! I've spent several hours looking for this and couldn't find it. I appreciate you taking the time to answer a question that you had already answered. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day!

So here are my findings on BIOS 2703 & AQC-113CS firmware 1.3.33
  • system goes to sleep one first sleep command, bam, no hesitations
  • when rebooting, the front Type-C port does not loose connection to whatever is connected to it (do you remember this post of yours CaseySJ? ...unfortunately, it is still not able to sleep when a Type-C device is connected to it :/
  • board is stable on 64GB DDR5 2x32GB 6400GT/s w/ OC tight timings and undervolt, whereas it did not happen on BIOS 2204 nor on BIOS 2103 using the same settings nor pushing voltages higher than now. pretty sure my board is limiting me from reaching higher frequencies, but this is another matter
If you are interested in upgrading firmware of your AQC-113CS, you can do so checking this thread on rog-forum.asus.com, where the user d5aqoep posted a firmware. I think the same firmware is on Dell website as well - check the thread. So 'credit' goes to d5aqoep so this little trick.

I finally decided to upgrade the AQC-113CS firmware of my Asus Z690 ProArt. I downloaded the file from Dell, which apparently is the same as the one posted by d5aqoep. From a Windows 11 PowerShell, I ran the update utility and it went through without any issue.

And we can see that the firmware has been upgraded to 1.3.33 (it used to be 1.3.15). Sleep and wake in latest Sonoma 14.2 public beta is working well with cable connected.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 4.38.16 PM.png

What is the consensus on OpenCore 0.96 ? Haven't seen @CaseySJ mention it. Are there any problems using Hackindrom to update?

What is the consensus on OpenCore 0.96 ? Haven't seen @CaseySJ mention it. Are there any problems using Hackindrom to update?
I have updated all of my systems to OpenCore 0.9.6 without any issues.

I finally decided to upgrade the AQC-113CS firmware of my Asus Z690 ProArt….Sleep and wake in latest Sonoma 14.2 public beta is working well with cable connected….
Hey CaseySJ! I am very glad that I was able to give back to the community (especially you) a tiny fraction of what I got from you guys. :)
Yes, sleep has been working each and every time. This firmware update in pretty much the cherry on the cake haha.

Back