Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Twin X is Thunderbolt 3 so you shouldn't have any problems. the z690 motherboard is Thunderbolt 4 which, by the TB4 spec, is backwards compatible to TB3 devices and NOT TB2 and TB1 devices

I'm running an older Thunderbolt 2 Apollo. I just ordered a TB3 option card so hopefully that will allow me to upgrade my macOS beyond Big Sur, without upgrading my interface. But the problem then will be my TB2 satellite might not work.. wish me luck, lol ... worst case, I can just revert back to Big Sur again. So it's not the end of the world.

FYI this is all just because of PC thunderbolt ports.. I have tested the Thunderbolt 2 Apollo on a Thunderbolt 4 M1 MacBook Pro with Sonoma with a Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter. (UAD says the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter doesn't work.) It worked flawlessly.. so that's good news for anyone wondering.
When I built my z790 at the beginning of this year, I went through strenuous testing trying to get my Apollo MK2 (TB2) to work, tried every adapter, every kext, every method you could imagine when starting the machine in order to recognize it, with no luck, it forced me to purchase the Twin X (TB3). So believe me when I say I know full well that TB1/2 devices DON'T WORK, not even Lacie TB2 HDDs.

Reason why I'm asking what version UAD software is, because the latest updates the firmware and what to know if it works before doing so.

When I built my z790 at the beginning of this year, I went through strenuous testing trying to get my Apollo MK2 (TB2) to work, tried every adapter, every kext, every method you could imagine when starting the machine in order to recognize it, with no luck, it forced me to purchase the Twin X (TB3). So believe me when I say I know full well that TB1/2 devices DON'T WORK, not even Lacie TB2 HDDs.

Reason why I'm asking what version UAD software is, because the latest updates the firmware and what to know if it works before doing so.
I have a z690 ProArt like the build in this thread. However, it requires reverting the BIOS to revert the firmware for the Thunderbolt 4 ports, which then you spoof the Thunderbolt 4 ports to work with TB2 devices. The only problem is I am stuck at Big Sur with that old BIOS since, when you upgrade to Monterey, the spoof no longer works. There are also more cons, such as I cannot run my RAM at XMP spec. I have to run it slower, but it's working! I didn't want to have to upgrade my interface, and, thankfully, UAD sells a TB3 card so it should work. However it's hackintosh so I'm not gonna be that upset if it doesn't, LOL, and i'll just keep the Tthunderbolt card and Big Sur.

I'm also looking at updating my graphics card, which it seems the affordable 6600 (or maybe 6650 XT if it works) only works with Monterey. So, if it can upgrade, I'll be a lot happier in lots of ways! Including software updates!

Wish me luck.

Few questions;

What UAD version are you running?
What OS are you running?
What Thunderbolt Kext are you running?
What BIOS version?

Thanks
1. UAD VERSION: 11.0.0
2. OS: Sonoma 14.1.1
3. KEXT: SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml
4. BIOS: Ver. 2802

(basically is all updated).

I have a z690 ProArt like the build in this thread. However, it requires reverting the BIOS to revert the firmware for the Thunderbolt 4 ports, which then you spoof the Thunderbolt 4 ports to work with TB2 devices. The only problem is I am stuck at Big Sur with that old BIOS since, when you upgrade to Monterey, the spoof no longer works. There are also more cons, such as I cannot run my RAM at XMP spec. I have to run it slower, but it's working! I didn't want to have to upgrade my interface, and, thankfully, UAD sells a TB3 card so it should work. However it's hackintosh so I'm not gonna be that upset if it doesn't, LOL, and i'll just keep the Tthunderbolt card and Big Sur.

I'm also looking at updating my graphics card, which it seems the affordable 6600 (or maybe 6650 XT if it works) only works with Monterey. So, if it can upgrade, I'll be a lot happier in lots of ways! Including software updates!

Wish me luck.
I, too, reverted to older BIOSand reverted the Thunderbolt firmware. I am on macOS 13.6.1 using my Apogee Symphony MKII (which is a Thunderbolt 2 device), and it works great.

I'm trying to update to Sonoma but finding some issues on sleep and wake. On my Ventura side all good, EFI basically the same just with the mod about the WiFi. On Sonoma system goes on sleep, and, after 10 min, the light on power switch keeps flashing as it hibernating. Once the mouse or keyboard is touched, nothing happens. When pressing the power switch system comes live but frozen and no keyboard or mouse moves....any one could share some light.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I, too, reverted to older BIOSand reverted the Thunderbolt firmware. I am on macOS 13.6.1 using my Apogee Symphony MKII (which is a Thunderbolt 2 device), and it works great.
Interesting, I lost Thunderbolt 2 connection with Monterey. I didn't try Ventura but wasn't expecting that to work?

Interesting, I lost Thunderbolt 2 connection with Monterey. I didn't try Ventura but wasn't expecting that to work?
It's not about the OS, it's the version of BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware. It's all explained in this post #2,870
I use XMP on my 2x32@GB RAM as well.

It's not about the OS, it's the version of BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware. It's all explained in this post #2,870
I use XMP on my 2x32@GB RAM as well.
I have followed that, and I am using the old Thunderbolt firmware. I believe @CaseySJ even said Monterey broke the ability to use the older spoofed Thunderbolt. I tried searching this thread to show you what he said, but there's so many posts. LOL.

I just ordered a TB3 option card so hopefully that will allow me to upgrade my macOS beyond Big Sur, without upgrading my interface. But the problem then will be my TB2 satellite might not work.. wish me luck, lol ... worst case, I can just revert back to Big Sur again. So it's not the end of the world.

A flashed GC-Titan Ridge should work well on Asus Z690 ProArt with Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. We should be able to connect both TB 2 and TB 3 devices.

I managed to get my audio interface working with buying a Thunderbolt 3 option card for the UAD Apollo. I just tested Monterey today again, and it's fully functional! It didn't work without the Thunderbolt 3 option card.

Now I'm scared, but I want to try to update the z690 ProArt BIOS to the most current. In theory, it should work since Thunderbolt 4 is backwards compatible to Thunderbolt 3. The only problem is my Thunderbolt UAD Satellite might not work. But it's working currently as I have rerouted so it's PC TB4 > TB4 cable > Audio interface with TB3 option card > TB3 to TB2 adapter > TB2 cable to TB2 UAD Satellite.

One thing to note. I still can't get my interface to work in Windows.. with TB2 or TB3. I can see the device in device manager. But it's not recognized with UAD software, and I can't pick it in the sound device options. Oh well...Windows isn't that important to me but it would be nice if i could use my interface with Windows. it's possible the latest Thunderbolt driver for the z690 ProArt might be for the latest firmware only and not totally functional with older firmware.

Or maybe it has something to do with booting through OpenCore and not directly to the Windows drive.

-----FYI----
I just installed Ventura 13.6.1 and so far everything seems to be working smoothly... i still haven't upgraded the bios yet

Last edited:
Back