Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I have onboard Intel WiFi working in Sonoma using AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext as described in the install mini-guide. However I can't get my previously working Broadcom PCIe Bluetooth card to work. Does this require specific kexts?
Our Broadcom Bluetooth modules should continue to work as long as the USB port associated with them is enabled. The ports are:
  • HS10 if using a Broadcom PCIe card with a USB cable plugged into on-board USB 2.0 header
  • HS14 if using a Broadcom M.2 module

Alternatively, can you recommend an Intel-based PCIe Wifi/Bluetooth card that would work?
  • If your Intel WiFi is working, then so will the Bluetooth component built onto the same PCIe or M.2 card
  • We need to apply Intel Bluetooth kexts as described in the Sonoma Mini-Guide referenced in Post 1
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.32.54 PM.png

Hi Casey, If I were to upgrade to Z790 ProArt, i7-13700K what changes should I make to your Z690 EFI. Also any issues on using Z790 with OpenCore? Thank you.

Hi Casey, If I were to upgrade to Z790 ProArt, i7-13700K what changes should I make to your Z690 EFI. Also any issues on using Z790 with OpenCore? Thank you.
Hello @steve20677

If you search this thread for keywords such as Z790 or 13700 you’ll find quite a bit of useful information.

Hi all and Hi @CaseySJ
I just upgraded my Z490 E gaming i9 10900k system to
Spec:
Z690 E gaming (Bought it on Amazon Australia for $350AUD what a price!)
i7 12700K
Ram Corsair Vengeance 32GB 5200
Red devil RX6600xt
Fenvi T919
WD SN850X 2tb

I am planning to use the Z690 Rog I gaming EFI from CaseySJ. I have a couple of questions before installing macOS I hope you can help me with

1, Can I use SSDTs from Z690 I gaming's EFI for my Z690 E gaming?
I saw a lot of SSDTs. I assume that I do not need SSDT-UIAC...Allports and SSDT-UIAC...15ports; if I map USB myself. Is this correct?

2 Regarding kexts, I am using Fenvi T919, and from the build guide on the first page, I need to use BrcmPatchRAM3, BrcmFirmwareData, BlueToolFixup. Is this correct? (I thought Fenvi T919 is supported by Apple so we don't need to use any kexts)

Also, do I need to use USBWakeFixup kext?

3, Regarding Device properties in config.plist, do I need to change anything (especially for Network Controller)? As I am afraid PCIRoot in Z690 E gaming and in Z690 I gaming are not the same.

Sorry for this long post. I hope to hear from you all soon.
Thank you very much!

Hi all and Hi @CaseySJ
I just upgraded my Z490 E gaming i9 10900k system to
Spec:
Z690 E gaming (Bought it on Amazon Australia for $350AUD what a price!)
i7 12700K
Ram Corsair Vengeance 32GB 5200
Red devil RX6600xt
Fenvi T919
WD SN850X 2tb
Hello @Vhdin2

This should be a nice upgrade from the Z490 system.

I am planning to use the Z690 Rog I gaming EFI from CaseySJ. I have a couple of questions before installing macOS I hope you can help me with

1, Can I use SSDTs from Z690 I gaming's EFI for my Z690 E gaming?
I saw a lot of SSDTs. I assume that I do not need SSDT-UIAC...Allports and SSDT-UIAC...15ports; if I map USB myself. Is this correct?
Correct. We should be able to reuse all or most of the existing SSDTs except for the USB port mapping SSDTs.

USB ports will need to be mapped specifically for the Z690E Gaming.

2 Regarding kexts, I am using Fenvi T919, and from the build guide on the first page, I need to use BrcmPatchRAM3, BrcmFirmwareData, BlueToolFixup. Is this correct? (I thought Fenvi T919 is supported by Apple so we don't need to use any kexts)

Also, do I need to use USBWakeFixup kext?
The three Brcm kexts are not necessary. We can enable them only if we encounter issues without them.

USBWakeFixup is a nice kext, but it works in conjunction with SSDT-USBW. It provides one-key wake from sleep. However this is optional.

3, Regarding Device properties in config.plist, do I need to change anything (especially for Network Controller)? As I am afraid PCIRoot in Z690 E gaming and in Z690 I gaming are not the same.
DeviceProperties these days are not strictly necessary except for certain very specific reasons. The network controller properties for i225 port need to be disabled or deleted in Monterey and newer.

Hello @Vhdin2

This should be a nice upgrade from the Z490 system.

Correct. We should be able to reuse all or most of the existing SSDTs except for the USB port mapping SSDTs.

USB ports will need to be mapped specifically for the Z690E Gaming.

The three Brcm kexts are not necessary. We can enable them only if we encounter issues without them.

USBWakeFixup is a nice kext, but it works in conjunction with SSDT-USBW. It provides one-key wake from sleep. However this is optional.

DeviceProperties these days are not strictly necessary except for certain very specific reasons. The network controller properties for i225 port need to be disabled or deleted in Monterey and newer.
Thank you very much for your help!
Attached are your Z690 I gaming device properties
I am just wondering whether I need to change the last device properties (BCM4360...) as in your Z690 I gaming system, you are not using Fenvi T919, right?

I will test my system and let you know if there are any issues.
Once again, thank you so much!

Attachments

• Z690 I gaming Device properties.png
    Z690 I gaming Device properties.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you very much for your help!
Attached are your Z690 I gaming device properties
I am just wondering whether I need to change the last device properties (BCM4360...) as in your Z690 I gaming system, you are not using Fenvi T919, right?

We can see that the i225 properties are commented out (disabled) because there’s a leading hash mark # in the PCI path.

We can add the same hash mark to all of the other device properties, including BCM4360. The properties we see here for BCM4360 are purely optional. They serve no functional purpose to the operating system. Instead, they provide a description of the device to the user when looking at System Information -> PCI.

Hi @CaseySJ,
I have other few questions for my Z690 E gaming build (they might be stupid) but I hope you can clarify.

1, Regarding kexts in your Z690 I gaming EFI, I see we have CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider. However, I am just wondering whether I can use these two kexts, because I am using i7 12700k (not i5 12600k as in your Z690 I gaming spec). Can I use CPUFriend, and CPUFriendDataProvider from your Z690 Pro Art's EFI (because you are using the same i7 12700k in that spec)

2, Also, if I map USB myself, can I disable USBInject_All kext?

3, I am planning to update Opencore from 0.9.2 to 0.9.5, there are some kexts that I don't need to update (they are: CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider, RestrictEvents, USBInjectAll, USBWakeFixUp). Is this correct?

4, Regarding AppleALC kext, should I use AppleALC or AppleALCU? when I used Z490 E gaming, I used AppleALC instead of AppleALCU (in your Z690 I gaming, I see you use AppleALCU).

5 Regarding Driver, are ext4_x64 and Ext4Dxe the same? (as I can not find ext4_x64 in the Opencore 0.9.5 folder, I can only find Ext4Dxe. I thought they are the same but not too sure:)) )

6, Regarding Tools, there are some tools that I do not see in the default file from Opencore Website (they are: CFGlock (enable), HdaCodeDump (not in config.plist), Memtest(enable), TbtNvmDrvShellUpdate( not in config.plist),

Could you please explain the functions of CFGlock and Memtest?
Can I use your CFGlock and Memtest from your Z690 I gaming's EFI for my Z690 E gaming?

7 Regarding config.plist, I am planning to install macOS Monterey 12.4, do I need to add e1000=0 in boot-arg to enable ethernet I225V

8 Also in config.plist, you did mention in the build guide that for prev-lang:kbd, we should use type=Data, instead of String, is this value: 656E2D55 533A30 corresponding to the English language?

9, Finally, should I set csr-active-config equal 0000000 or FF0F0000?
Could you tell me why you use FF0F0000 instead of 0000000?

I am so sorry for asking too many questions.
Hope to hear from you soon :))

Do you have the cable connected to 10GbE port?. Try disconnecting the cable from the 10GbE port and try sleep/wake. There is a known issue with 10GbE port and sleep. U need to update the firmware of 10GbE port to get the sleep working.

check out this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i7-12700k-amd-rx-6800-xt.318311/post-2381798
I have updated the firmware, no benefit? I also tried switching to the 2.5Gb port no difference? Still wont wake from sleep? The windows side works well other than the time switching time zones and an occasionally long boot up time from time to time?

Hi @CaseySJ,
I have other few questions for my Z690 E gaming build (they might be stupid) but I hope you can clarify.

1, Regarding kexts in your Z690 I gaming EFI, I see we have CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider. However, I am just wondering whether I can use these two kexts, because I am using i7 12700k (not i5 12600k as in your Z690 I gaming spec). Can I use CPUFriend, and CPUFriendDataProvider from your Z690 Pro Art's EFI (because you are using the same i7 12700k in that spec)
These CPUFriend kexts can be used on any of the 12th-gen processors. They can be used on 13th-gen as well, but may suffer some performance penalty.

2, Also, if I map USB myself, can I disable USBInject_All kext?
If you are using a USB port mapping guide that does not require USBInjectAll, then this kext can safely be disabled.

3, I am planning to update Opencore from 0.9.2 to 0.9.5, there are some kexts that I don't need to update (they are: CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider, RestrictEvents, USBInjectAll, USBWakeFixUp). Is this correct?
If you use HackinDROM App to update OpenCore, it will install new versions of these kexts if new versions exist. The existing versions are okay as well.

4, Regarding AppleALC kext, should I use AppleALC or AppleALCU? when I used Z490 E gaming, I used AppleALC instead of AppleALCU (in your Z690 I gaming, I see you use AppleALCU).
If you motherboard has USB-based audio then AppleALCU is used (U = USB). Otherwise we use standard AppleALC.

5 Regarding Driver, are ext4_x64 and Ext4Dxe the same? (as I can not find ext4_x64 in the Opencore 0.9.5 folder, I can only find Ext4Dxe. I thought they are the same but not too sure:)) )
This driver is not needed. It is only there for shell-access to Linux ext4 file system.

6, Regarding Tools, there are some tools that I do not see in the default file from Opencore Website (they are: CFGlock (enable), HdaCodeDump (not in config.plist), Memtest(enable), TbtNvmDrvShellUpdate( not in config.plist),
These are not strictly necessary. It's up to you to keep or remove any of them.

Could you please explain the functions of CFGlock and Memtest?
Can I use your CFGlock and Memtest from your Z690 I gaming's EFI for my Z690 E gaming?
CFGLock driver is no longer needed. Asus Z690 motherboards have CFG-Lock disabled by default. Memtest is useful in case we need to diagnose memory failures in the future.

7 Regarding config.plist, I am planning to install macOS Monterey 12.4, do I need to add e1000=0 in boot-arg to enable ethernet I225V
No, e1000=0 is not needed in Monterey on Asus Z690 because AppleVTD can be enabled by enabling VT-d in BIOS and unchecking kernel quirk DisableIoMapper.

8 Also in config.plist, you did mention in the build guide that for prev-lang:kbd, we should use type=Data, instead of String, is this value: 656E2D55 533A30 corresponding to the English language?
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 4.17.36 PM.png

9, Finally, should I set csr-active-config equal 0000000 or FF0F0000?
Could you tell me why you use FF0F0000 instead of 0000000?
To enable SIP we set csr-active-config to 00000000
To disable SIP we set it to FF0F0000

It is better to enable SIP.

Back