Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hey, Casey, thanks for this great Guide. As mentioned in the Z390 Designaire thread a couple days ago, I've developed the itch to build a newer Hackintosh. This one looks like a good candidate. I have a couple of questions before starting the component procurement process, however. Hoping the answers are easy (anyone else with knowledge to share, please chime in, too!):

1. What is the most current AMD framebuffer I could put in this build? I'm thinking Radeon 6950XT is probably most 'current', but not neccessarily most recent. Yes? Any issues using, say, an MSI Radeon 6950XT X Trio vs. a reference board?
  2. Assuming a 6950XT is possible, and reading the last few posts, there doesn't seem to be a need to spoof the framebuffer ID. Is my understanding of that accurate?
The 6950 XT is the most powerful GPU for macOS. We may have to spoof the Device ID (not the frame buffer), which is easy enough to do.

1. I've been using the Fenvi PCI WiFi/Bluetooth solution in my last three Hackintosh builds. Assuming I go with a fresh Sonoma OSX install on this build, it seems the Fenvi is no longer fully supported/enableable and really isn't needed as the Intel board that comes with the mobo works. Is this correct? Will I have WiFi and Bluetooth with Intel? (Note: not interested in using the onboard ethernet)
We can use:
  • Intel Wi-Fi and Intel Bluetooth
  • Intel Wi-Fi and Fenvi Bluetooth
However, most macOS Continuity features are not supported with Intel Wi-Fi.

1. You've specified the EVGA SuperNova G6 (full bridge, 140mm) power supply in the components list. Do you foresee any issues if I opt to use an EVGA SuperNova P6 (also full bridge and 140mm) instead?
No issues.

1. Do you foresee any issues using an i9-13900K in lieu of the i7-12700K CPU?
13th Gen processors require one of the newer BIOS versions, which may already be installed on the motherboard.

Do you foresee any issues using an i9-13900K in lieu of the i7-12700K CPU?
I can add that:

1) It may be tougher (or even more expensive) to procure a z690 ProArt MB. Plus, if you DO find a z690, you'll want to upgrade its firmware to allow for a 13th-series processor, if it hasn't been already. It's not rocket-science, but it's definitely a bit of a process if out-of-the-box it's not compatible with 13th-series. I did it on my first build (z690 ProArt with a 13700k). I do find that system is perhaps a tad less stable than the next one I built which is a 13900k on a z790 ProArt. THAT machine (the one I'm typing from now) is an absolute gem. I'm still on the BIOS it came with (0814) BTW. I would not hesitate ONE BIT to instead build with the z790 using this guide!

Any issues running Win11 in a dual-boot configuration with these components/BIOS?
I run dual-boot Win11 on BOTH aforementioned machines and it's wonderful -- a far better experience than Win10 on my z390s, simply select Windows instead of Mac in open canopy and go!

As far as GPUs, ACT FAST! I would imagine a 6950xt will be easier to find than a 6900xt, and you'll definitely have to Device ID spoof a 6950xt from what I know, and you 'might' even have to spoof it even its a 6900xt but non-reference. As @CaseySJ said, it's easily doable... if I can do it, you can! Or -- per the comments a few up from this -- wait and see if a 7900 can be a go.

Choose carefully on memory, as it seems to have been an achilles heel on these generations, and if you want 4 sticks or larger than normal capacity, pay extra attention.

Final note; consider an LGA 1700 contact frame. I bought a Thermalright from Amazon for like $15. Many many people say it's not needed, but I chose to use one anyway.

Good luck,
j

First, to @CaseySJ thanks for the response!

I can add that:

1) It may be tougher (or even more expensive) to procure a z690 ProArt MB. Plus, if you DO find a z690, you'll want to upgrade its firmware to allow for a 13th-series processor, if it hasn't been already. It's not rocket-science, but it's definitely a bit of a process if out-of-the-box it's not compatible with 13th-series. I did it on my first build (z690 ProArt with a 13700k). I do find that system is perhaps a tad less stable than the next one I built which is a 13900k on a z790 ProArt. THAT machine (the one I'm typing from now) is an absolute gem. I'm still on the BIOS it came with (0814) BTW. I would not hesitate ONE BIT to instead build with the z790 using this guide!

I run dual-boot Win11 on BOTH aforementioned machines and it's wonderful -- a far better experience than Win10 on my z390s, simply select Windows instead of Mac in open canopy and go!

As far as GPUs, ACT FAST! I would imagine a 6950xt will be easier to find than a 6900xt, and you'll definitely have to Device ID spoof a 6950xt from what I know, and you 'might' even have to spoof it even its a 6900xt but non-reference. As @CaseySJ said, it's easily doable... if I can do it, you can! Or -- per the comments a few up from this -- wait and see if a 7900 can be a go.

Choose carefully on memory, as it seems to have been an achilles heel on these generations, and if you want 4 sticks or larger than normal capacity, pay extra attention.

Final note; consider an LGA 1700 contact frame. I bought a Thermalright from Amazon for like $15. Many many people say it's not needed, but I chose to use one anyway.

Good luck,
j

Appreciate the input. As I was off shopping for components tonight, I discovered that the Z690 is, indeed, more expensive and much harder to source than the Z790. I was just coming back here to ask if it was usable in this build. I compared the specs and they look *almost* identical, so I figured it would likely work, but might provide an opportunity for additional learning. ;) So, you've set my mind at ease there.

The GPU situation is similar. I had settled on that MSI RX 6950 XT, but the only way to get one is to buy used it seems. I did find an XRX (I think was the brand) that has good reviews on. It's more easily gettable, so I downloaded the manual to see if it was going to be too big to fit in the 011 Air MINI. Looks like it will fit with about 20-22mm to spare. As a side note, I was reading a review of the newer 7900 boards, and the conclusion was that the 6950 XT actually is about 13% better, performance-wise. Could be down to drivers not yet being optimized, I suppose. But, the 7900 seems like it's currently a no-go for the Hackintosh anyway, so...

Good point about RAM. I ran in to that problem on a Windows build for one of my sons. Even though I crosschecked the RAM I bought with the mobo vendor list, it still didn't work. Some internet spelunking turned up that several others had run in to the same problem. So, that RAM went back and we went with a different brand. All worked. I have "crosscheck RAM with Z790 approved vendor list" on my to-do for tomorrow.

Will look in to the contact frame. Thanks for mentioning it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @CaseySJ, I would like to ask your help/tip. I have pretty same build as yours, just with ASUS ROG B660I motherboard. And everything works just fine, but today I have tried to update my BIOS to latest version and with this latest version I can not boot macOS anymore. I get login screen, but when I type my password and hit enter my macOS just stuck on login screen, it not even showing loading bar, just stuck with user photo and I have to force restart.

iMacPro1,1
OC: 0.9.3
macOS: 13.6
FileVault: ON

Old stable BIOS version: 2212
Current last working BIOS version: 2603
Latest BIOS version (NOT WORKING!): 2802 (2611 doesn't work as well)

Where should I try to look for the solution? What can cause such a problem?

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Hello @CaseySJ, I would like to ask your help/tip. I have pretty same build as yours, just with ASUS ROG B660I motherboard. And everything works just fine, but today I have tried to update my BIOS to latest version and with this latest version I can not boot macOS anymore. I get login screen, but when I type my password and hit enter my macOS just stuck on login screen, it not even showing loading bar, just stuck with user photo and I have to force restart.

iMacPro1,1
OC: 0.9.3
macOS: 13.6
FileVault: ON

Old stable BIOS version: 2212
Current last working BIOS version: 2603
Latest BIOS version (NOT WORKING!): 2802 (2611 doesn't work as well)

Where should I try to look for the solution? What can cause such a problem?

THANKS IN ADVANCE !
Hello @f1zzas

In many cases it’s not necessary to upgrade the BIOS. We have encountered problems with some of the newer versions coming out recently.

If you can downgrade back to 2603, it may be good to do that.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the new BIOS, try looking for:
  • Above 4G MMIO
  • Above 4G Decoding
If they exist, enable them. No guarantees, however…

Okey, I will try to check for those. Yes, I did downgrade to 2603 at the moment, I wanned to keep BIOS up to date, because BIOS changelog says it is security patch update.

Hi @CaseySJ I'm using Sonoma, and returned with my Intel/BT Wifi card.
Where there is any documentation for using Intel WIFI, I tried to generate a new EFI with Hackindrom, but it only allows Broadcom EFI.
If you can help me. Thanks.

Hi @CaseySJ I'm using Sonoma, and returned with my Intel/BT Wifi card.
Where there is any documentation for using Intel WIFI, I tried to generate a new EFI with Hackindrom, but it only allows Broadcom EFI.
If you can help me. Thanks.
As referenced in Post #1, here's the info you need.

Well, after a lot of struggle, I managed to get the WiFi and BT to work, but only in one way... the WiFi was activated by the Intel motherboard, and then the BT wouldn't work at all. I took my Fenvi 919 and put the BT to work. But Airdrop still doesn't work. There are things that are never explained much in these tutorials, in general, the position of the Kexts when loading is extremely important, if you put them in the wrong position, the result... will not load the drivers in the correct way. And that doesn't comment...
Interestingly, both the Hack and the iPhone show Airdrop... they find the devices... but when they get a file and try to send it... it doesn't send it... I believe it's something that needs to be changed in the config.plist... I already had read somewhere about this. But now I don't remember.

Attachments

• Captura de tela 06.10.2023 às 12.51.20 PM.png
    Captura de tela 06.10.2023 às 12.51.20 PM.png
    70 KB · Views: 23
Back