Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I have a 6900XT as well and it shows "Metal 3".

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-02 um 08.21.33.png

I'm using an AMD RX 6900 XT 16 GB which works well but I only have Metal v2.2 support. I thought Mac OS 13 and 14 would allow Metal 3 with supported GPUs? Has anyone been able to get full Metal 3 support? I'm currently using Mac OS 14 but had the same issue with the previous version.

I've followed the advice on this forum regarding the GPU and OpenCore settings, but the system thinks it is "AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype".

Any help is much appreciated.
Hi, yes Metal 3 active on Sonoma.
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 2.27.05 AM.png

How do you have the GPU configured in OpenCore? Could you share the DeviceProperties settings please? What ACPI/SSDT are you using?
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I feel I can contribute a bit... I went through kind of a similar thing, and although I never discovered definitive answers, here's what I can share.

First, I have a z690 ProArt with a Reference AMD 6900xt, a z790 ProArt with a Reference AMD 6900xt, and a z390 Designare with a Reference AMD 6950xt. All using WhateverGreen.

On both ProArts, I've commented out the open core Device Preferences for the 6900s, because, as you are discovering, manually identifying them (to me) seems to trigger the Framebuffer confusion. I DO believe it's mostly cosmetic 'tho. When I DID have them ID'd in DP of config, however, I received a Metal "Supported" indication in System Profiler, so I'm wondering if you are not using a Reference AMD GPU, but a third-party version because you are received Metal 2 reports. Either way, if you haven't already, try commenting out the DP ID's in config and test it out. I saw no speed benefit on my end either way, and 'suspected' it ran a tad better commented out. I don't use all the ports on my GPU I should mention, and it's my understanding having the definitions COULD help Whatever Green's patching when doing so. It's my understanding that Mac OS is using the correct Framebuffer OOtheBox with these reference cards, which, under Navi21 for 6900 should be Belknap.

On the Designare, I had to spoof the 6950 and that led to a exploration of how to do so, so on that machine, I have a custom SSDT, but there I've noticed that because I have to define the card, my System Profiler just shows "AMD Radeon Navi 21." By doing the spoof through the SSDT (and not OC DP), my System Profiler ALSO shows Metal 3. Again, if I spoof through OC DP, it would change "Metal" to Supported instead of Metal 3.

I also took the time to define the EC path on all three machines, as opposed to leaving it as an undefined bridge, which, if I remember, is not needed with a supported GPU, but was necessary with the 6950.

Hope that shed at least 'some' light for ya.
j

Last edited:
I also took the time to define the EC path on all three machines, as opposed to leaving it as an undefined bridge, which, if I remember, is not needed with a supported GPU, but was necessary with the 6950.

Thank you. Very helpful. Could you explain what you meant by the EC path?

When I DID have them ID'd in DP of config, however, I received a Metal "Supported" indication in System Profiler, so I'm wondering if you are not using a Reference AMD GPU, but a third-party version because you are received Metal 2 reports. Either way, if you haven't already, try commenting out the DP ID's in config and test it out. I saw no speed benefit on my end either way, and 'suspected' it ran a tad better commented out.

I commented out the Display Properties in OpenCore and now System Information reports Metal 3 support. To test this I tried running No Man's Sky. It runs perfectly in Windows 11 on this machine with very high quality settings, but previously the Mac OS version was unplayable. Now it runs very well so clearly something has changed.

My GeekBench 6 GPU (Metal) score has gone up from 201055 to 228544.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.18.53 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.18.53 pm.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thank you. Very helpful. Could you explain what you meant by the EC path?
It's been a bit since I did all of this, and looking back into it just now, I realized that the reason why I sought out fixing the embedded controller path was NOT for the 6950 but for another reason and it was on the ProArts NOT the Designare (pretty sure I was investigating USB power delivery). The 6950 spoof had nothing to do with that, so my apologies -- I'm certainly no expert on this stuff!!

How do you have the GPU configured in OpenCore? Could you share the DeviceProperties settings please? What ACPI/SSDT are you using?

Hi! You can see what I did here.

and I used the info from Byteminer on page #104 in that thread.

Basically, boot into a Linux.
Go to techpowerup and find new GPU bios for your card.
Extract a copy of original BIOS before flashing and save, just in case.
Flash new BIOS onto GPU.
Voila.

Hey, Casey, thanks for this great Guide. As mentioned in the Z390 Designaire thread a couple days ago, I've developed the itch to build a newer Hackintosh. This one looks like a good candidate. I have a couple of questions before starting the component procurement process, however. Hoping the answers are easy (anyone else with knowledge to share, please chime in, too!):

1. What is the most current AMD framebuffer I could put in this build? I'm thinking Radeon 6950XT is probably most 'current', but not neccessarily most recent. Yes? Any issues using, say, an MSI Radeon 6950XT X Trio vs. a reference board?
  2. Assuming a 6950XT is possible, and reading the last few posts, there doesn't seem to be a need to spoof the framebuffer ID. Is my understanding of that accurate?
  3. I've been using the Fenvi PCI WiFi/Bluetooth solution in my last three Hackintosh builds. Assuming I go with a fresh Sonoma OSX install on this build, it seems the Fenvi is no longer fully supported/enableable and really isn't needed as the Intel board that comes with the mobo works. Is this correct? Will I have WiFi and Bluetooth with Intel? (Note: not interested in using the onboard ethernet)
  4. You've specified the EVGA SuperNova G6 (full bridge, 140mm) power supply in the components list. Do you foresee any issues if I opt to use an EVGA SuperNova P6 (also full bridge and 140mm) instead?
  5. Do you foresee any issues using an i9-13900K in lieu of the i7-12700K CPU?
  6. (edit to add) Any issues running Win11 in a dual-boot configuration with these components/BIOS? My Z390 build is limited to Win10 currently, as there is some BIOS setting that's disabled for OSX to work, but needs to be enabled for Win11 (can't remember which one)?
Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Last edited:

Attachments

• Artifacts (Complete Navi 22 support ).zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back