Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

The “ForceAquantiaEthernet” kernel quirk was updated for Sonoma in OpenCore 0.9.4. So that is the minimum required version of OC.

Can confirm that the Corsair Vengeance 192GB (4 x 48GB) set works
Running Ventura 13.4 on a z790 ProArt
Do you remember how long it took for BIOS to post? Also did you try 2 set first and then insert the remaining in there after BIOS post?

Good work! If you can post a simple step-by-step guide, I’ll link it to Post 1.

I confirm that I can use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Mouse on both macOS and Windows in dual boot.

The problem is that it doesn't' work during boot on BIOS or OpenCore Boot picker. Which defeats the propose to have one mouse and keyboard for both systems, since we can't even select which system to boot at OC Boot picker. Of course we can always plug a usb keyboard for this task, but it really does not make sense :)

Apparently there are some cards (like my old Fenvi) that allows to use Bluetooth with BIOS, and others doesn't as it seems the Intel Bluetooth of the Asus z690.

In this case probably will switch to a Logitech mouse and keyboard with a dongle, that is known to work well.

Anyhow if anyone interested in the above scenario I can post a link for a small guide that followed from a user at another forum, but would like to know if I'm allowed to do it or if I should make a small resume instead.

Sure, it is attached.

TBH it was stressing me quite a bit so I really wanted to test Sonoma to make sure it wasn't the firmware upgrade causing you issues. Please be aware I freshly installed Sonoma, the latest one which can be obtained from Apple servers.

@CaseySJ
Hi, it was a while I was thinking to ask for a little help, could you please have a quick look at my EFI, especially the stuff related to Fenvi T919 card? This is what I noticed so far:
  • I rarely put my system to sleep but when I do it, I notice that there are (there might be, so to speak) a couple of bluetoothhd crashes in Crash Reports during Dark Wake
  • I had my hack running for a few days straight, and all of a sudden, the system became unresponsive and it froze; as soon as I rebooted it, I notices that Console app was flooded with bluetoothhd process crashes, which happened a few minutes before becoming unresponsive. Happened a few times so far.
  • This is another funny one... system works perfectly but, at some point, I am unable to open System Preferences nor System Information because they crash upon opening and I get crash reports in Console app; everything else works. They both give this result, which I googled and seems to be related to physical memory, is it right?
    Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_MEMORY_ERROR at 0x00007ff818d19f18
    Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000a, 0x00007ff818d19f18

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 10 Bus error: 10
    Terminating Process: exc handler [10698] <- this differs on the specific crash
  • Last but not least, have you ever tried installing Sonoma on the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 enclosure you have, when connected to the front Type-C port? Today I tried three times, when testing it for rbmanian75, and it always got stuck or gave me error at different stages, not to mention the fact it was painfully slow; as soon as I connected the same enclosure to the Type-C port of my TS3+, it went straight through, despite being just 5Gbps it was definitively faster.
All in all, I am planning on installing a fresh Ventura on a new SN850x which I bough recently, but still it would be nice to know what's happening as I have been having these issues on and off for a few weeks.
Alas, troubleshooting sleep problems is my least favorite topic! :( So I created this mini-guide some time ago:

** macOS Sonoma Installation Mini-Guide **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety; post a link or excerpt instead​

Introduction:
Fortunately, macOS Sonoma (kernel version 23.x.x) is fairly straightforward to install. But regrettably, the Broadcom WiFi modules we use are no longer supported. Broadcom Bluetooth is still supported, but we need to use Intel WiFi or USB WiFi.

In this guide I will discuss only the Intel WiFi option. Instructions for USB WiFi can be found by searching the web for Chris1111.

If you have replaced the on-board Intel M.2 module with a Broadcom BCM94360NG, then your options are:

1. Reinstall the Intel M.2 module
2. Use USB WiFi
3. Purchase and install an Intel-based PCIe add-in-card

AMD Ryzen Users:
Download and install the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches from here (click the green Code button and download the ZIP). Follow the instructions to modify the first 4 kernel patches with the number of physical CPU cores on your processor. Then proceed with the steps below.

Enabling Intel WiFi:
If your motherboard has an Intel WiFi module, it is relatively easy to activate it as follows:

• If using Gigabyte Z390 Designare, disable SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml as shown:
View attachment 571483
  • Download the latest preview build of AirportItlwm from here (currently Preview 05):
View attachment 571484

• Rename the kext to AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext, copy it to EFI/OC/Kext, and add it to config.plist as shown:
    • BundlePath: AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext
    • ExecutablePath: Contents/MacOS/AirportItlwm
    • PlistPath: Contents/Info.plist
    • MinKernel: 23.0.0
    • MaxKernel: 23.99.99
    • Enabled: True
View attachment 571485

Enabling Intel Bluetooth:
  • If you wish to disable Broadcom Bluetooth and use Intel Bluetooth, do the following:
    • Use a USB port map SSDT that enables HS14 or whatever USB port that Intel Bluetooth is on
    • Either disable the USB port that Broadcom Bluetooth is on, or disconnect the Broadcom Bluetooth USB cable
    • Then add these kexts for Intel Bluetooth:
      1. BlueToolFixup.kext
      2. IntelBTPatcher.kext
      3. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
    • The first kext (BlueToolFixup) is available from BrcmPatchRAM package
    • The last two kexts are available from IntelBluetooth package
    • Copy all 3 files to EFI/OC/Kexts and add them to config.plist as shown:
View attachment 571486

Intel i225-V or i226-V Motherboards (if AppleVTD is not enabled or available):
  • If your motherboard has one of these 2.5GbE ports, follow this procedure to install AppleIGC.kext.

Updating OpenCore:
  • Update to latest version of OpenCore. We can use @Inqnuam's HackinDROM App to upgrade from OC 0.6.6 or newer to latest OpenCore version

Make a Full Bootable Backup:
  • This must not be avoided!
  • If you fail to make a full bootable backup and the upgrade to Sonoma fails badly, it's very likely that we won't be able to assist -- you will be on your own, so make a full bootable backup
  • The procedure for this is located here (using Carbon Copy Cloner)

Now you should be able to perform either an in-place upgrade or a fresh installation of Sonoma. Good luck!
As always thanks for authoring this and providing insight into a successful transition into Sonoma. I'm only updating systems that have Intel Wireless/ Bluetooth cards at this point. One thing I noted was after installing Sonoma on my Z790 system my Geekbench 6 scores plummeted and the system acted kind of flaky, turns out I missed updating CPUFriend.kext to the latest which is needed with the update.

Last edited:
Hello @Zamani91,

When you say your Thunderbolt ports aren't working, what symptom(s) do you see? If you are looking at System Information -> Thunderbolt, then it will say No drivers are loaded. This is normal with an unflashed Thunderbolt firmware.
Hey @CaseySJ, I think I got it figured out! I guess I need to restart my system if I plug something into the thunderbolt ports for it to get recognized. Not sure if that’s technically correct but I can’t complain. Still having issues with over locking though.

Also thanks for your guide with the z690i! I somewhat based my build off of it when buying things. Appreciate all the help you’ve posted here!

Last edited:
Hers a question that I'm not sure has been asked before but here goes... I have the AMD 6800XT and currently have all 4 ports occupied on it. I have a 5th monitor I'd like to attach. When booting into Windows, it works, but it somehow overrides my BIOS setting to use PEG1 for grfx and switches it to CPU. However, when I reboot into macOS, I obviously get a an error / crash.

Is it possible to lock the BIOS and use my 5th monitor plugged into my OWC TB4 Dock, or am I limited to the 4 monitor connections?

I am extremely grateful for to this build as everything is working smooth as butter all except for the occasional TB hiccup which a quick reboot quickly resolves.

Hey @CaseySJ, I think I got it figured out! I guess I need to restart my system if I plug something into the thunderbolt ports for it to get recognized. Not sure if that’s technically correct but I can’t complain. Still having issues with over locking though.

Also thanks for your guide with the z690i! I somewhat based my build off of it when buying things. Appreciate all the help you’ve posted here!
That's known as "Warm Boot" and is necessary when Hot Plug is not, or cannot be, enabled. Totally normal, have any thunderbolt devices plugged in and then boot from the system being completely off, then reboot and thunderbolt devices should work.

The above guide can also be referenced from Post 1:

View attachment 571490
Hi, I suspect the AMD patches for Ventura 13.3+ used to work with Sonoma betas but no longer with the final release. I'm unable to boot the Sonoma installer but tweaking with "max kernel" values on those patches takes me further in the boot process, still not to GUI territory.

Hi, I suspect the AMD patches for Ventura 13.3+ used to work with Sonoma betas but no longer with the final release. I'm unable to boot the Sonoma installer but tweaking with "max kernel" values on those patches takes me further in the boot process, still not to GUI territory.
With the release version of Sonoma I did not encounter any problem with the current AMD-OSX kernel patches (from June 2023).

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 2.28.44 PM.png

Back