Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @CaseySJ, @dehjomz :)

My Gigabyte GC-AQC113C add-in-card has firmware version 1.3.27
My Asus Z690 ProArt's built-in AQC-113 has firmware version 1.3.15
Pretty sure I had firmware 1.3.15 as well..

I’ll have to check my firmware version but the aqc113cs from owc works natively with macOS, even on apple silicon. No need for any patches. And it also supports airplay.
TBH I was really annoyed by the onboard 10GBe controller: at times, it seemed others could get the Z690 Creator to sleep while I could not on the same firmware, macOS version... And, even when I could, it was cursed by the auto awake from sleep the very first time I tried to put my hack to sleep. As everyone's is. So I started to do some testing... upgraded BIOS... dug the net... and I managed to upgrade firmware of the onboard AQC-113CS :O:)

So here are my findings on BIOS 2703 & AQC-113CS firmware 1.3.33
  • system goes to sleep one first sleep command, bam, no hesitations
  • when rebooting, the front Type-C port does not loose connection to whatever is connected to it (do you remember this post of yours CaseySJ? ...unfortunately, it is still not able to sleep when a Type-C device is connected to it :/
  • board is stable on 64GB DDR5 2x32GB 6400GT/s w/ OC tight timings and undervolt, whereas it did not happen on BIOS 2204 nor on BIOS 2103 using the same settings nor pushing voltages higher than now. pretty sure my board is limiting me from reaching higher frequencies, but this is another matter
If you are interested in upgrading firmware of your AQC-113CS, you can do so checking this thread on rog-forum.asus.com, where the user d5aqoep posted a firmware. I think the same firmware is on Dell website as well - check the thread. So 'credit' goes to d5aqoep so this little trick.

yay.png

I am having a little issue with a Thunderbolt dock at the moment for which I would like to ask your help @CaseySJ @dehjomz , but I need to do some more testing to check whether I can solve it by myself or not...

PS well, I put my system to sleep just a few times so far and it always worked on first attempt, but if you would like me to, I can try different conditions (I believe I tried both cold booting and warm reboot from Windows).

PPS this hackintosh works sooooo well at the moment haha. thanks to everyone for making it possible...

PPPS another thing which I thought it was not possible:
yay2.png

I am somewhat sure I tried it on previous BIOSes and it did not show up as being linked at 20 Gb/s, but I might be mistaken on this

Last edited:
@m4rk0,

Thanks for posting a link to the updated AQC-113 firmware! It seems very simple to install through Windows. As for USB 20Gbps, I'll have to check that on my ProArt soon...

@m4rk0,

Thanks for posting a link to the updated AQC-113 firmware! It seems very simple to install through Windows.
Yes. Straight forward. Just double click, give it admin permission and it goes through.
Before that one, I tried some others to be run under command prompt but they couldn’t recognise the onboard controller. This is the real deal.

On a side note, I downloaded and flashed the one on Dell website, too (if you check the following posts on rog-forum.asus.com, you will see someone mentioned it). But it did not make any difference. It could well be that they have the same MD5.

As for USB 20Gbps, I'll have to check that on my ProArt soon...
Yes please.

Hmm. I don't seem to have that device? On BIOS 2103

USB.jpg

Uhm, and which enclosure did you connect?

I didn't connect any device to the front USB-C port because I thought we were looking at port properties instead of device properties. Anyway, I'll connect USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 device shortly and try again.

Okay, I also get 20Gbps with a proper USB-C to USB-C cable. In this case I'm using a Thunderbolt cable.
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 1.02.24 PM.png

Okay, I also get 20Gbps with a proper USB-C to USB-C cable. In this case I'm using a Thunderbolt cable.[..]
Good.
I am sure I made a test about a month and a half ago, connecting the same enclosure but did not get this speed. In the meantime, we had 13.5.1 and 13.5.2 updates, could they have had any influence? Regardless, it’s good we can take advantage of it if we need to :)

Hello @ummario,

Broadcom WiFi does not work in Sonoma -- we can try the OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) method or use Intel WiFi.

However, Ethernet should work properly if AppleVTD is enabled. Are you referring to 1GbE, 2.5GbE or 10GbE? What is the model number of the Ethernet port in question?

Hey @CaseySJ

Was thinking the same about Ethernet.... I've checked and I have AppleVTD enabled on BIOS, but my Hackintosh can't detect any of the Ethernet ports. I should mention that if I boot in Windows, they work fine.

I'm referring to both Ethernet ports of my Asus Z690 ProArt Creator Wifi. With Ethernet cable connected to the 10GB port (AQC), I don't see any lights. When connected to the 2,5 GB Port (Intel), I see one light only. On both of them macOS does not detect network.

I also have a QNAP Thunderbolt 10Gb Ethernet adapter. I can connect it to the thunderbolt port, but it can't detect Ethernet, as well.

I took a picture of the screen of my system.... (I can't use internet to send proper print screen.)

About WiFi, I will try OCLP later.

Thanks.

IMG_9246.jpg

Last edited:
Back