Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

But I'm not going to argue with iFixit!
It is possible that during the pandemic chip supply shortage they could have used different vendors, sourcing from whomever could supply them at the time. The bottom line is that our older socketed Brcm cards are past history as far as Apple is concerned. Hopefully the OCLP folk come up with a better solution than what we have now. I have 4 different Brcm Wifi/BT cards in various hacks that I'd like to keep functioning for a while.

They don't use Broadcom wifi/bt chips exclusively in the latest Macs that are Sonoma capable. iFixit teardowns show that they use a soldered on USI made Wifi/BT module and some from other companies. Apple's website never lists the 3rd party manufacturers of the chips they use. Even desktop Macs like Mac mini and Mac studio have these wifi/bt modules soldered to the logic board.

View attachment 571779
I wasn't suggesting that only Broadcom chips are used in the Sonoma-capable Macs. I have a Mac from 2019, Wifi Radio has PCI-id 0x14e4, which is Broadcom. All I was saying is the Broadcom chips that are supported by Sonoma aren't available for purchase from 3rd parties... we can't buy them on Amazon and use them on Hackintosh, as far as I'm aware. I use ethernet anyways... but I definitely can understand the frustration of losing native Wifi support.

Mac M2 Studio
Bluetooth Controler:
Chipset: BCM_4388
Wifi:
Card Type: Wi-Fi (0x14E4, 0x4388)

Hey! I'm new here. I just did a Monterey install, and everything seems to be working except my Thunderbolt ports. They are enabled in BIOS. I'm just wondering if I missed something. Also, my CPU speed doesn't reflect what its set to in BIOS. I set it to the ai overclock. I think its at 5.5GHz? How do I get it to be the correct speed? Thanks for any help!

Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi
Intel core i7-13700kf 3.4 ghz 16 core processor
Amd radeon Rx 6800
Samsung 980 pro 2 tb m.2
Teamgroup T-create expert 64gb ddr5-6000
Hello @Zamani91,

When you say your Thunderbolt ports aren't working, what symptom(s) do you see? If you are looking at System Information -> Thunderbolt, then it will say No drivers are loaded. This is normal with an unflashed Thunderbolt firmware.

Note that Bluetooth continues to work in Sonoma with the Broadcom cards and modules we use today in Hackintosh, such as Fenvi FV-T919 and BCM94360NG. It is only the WiFi component that does not work.

Apple Silicon Macs today still use Broadcom for both WiFi and Bluetooth, but they use soldered modules that carry different Product IDs. I have tried spoofing the device IDs of our Broadcom modules without success.

Hi @CaseySJ

Sorry to insist... any idea why Ethernert and Wifi are not working after updating to Sonoma?

Thanks
Hello @ummario,

Broadcom WiFi does not work in Sonoma -- we can try the OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) method or use Intel WiFi.

However, Ethernet should work properly if AppleVTD is enabled. Are you referring to 1GbE, 2.5GbE or 10GbE? What is the model number of the Ethernet port in question?

Last edited:
Macs today still use Broadcom for both WiFi and Bluetooth, but they use soldered modules that carry different Product IDs. I have tried spoofing the device IDs of our Broadcom modules without success.
Is this because the Brcm cards we use are all wireless AC and today's Macs use AX ? What about trying a newer PCIe wireless AX Broadcom card and faking the product ID ? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Is this because the Brcm cards we use are all wireless AC and today's Macs use AX ? What about trying a newer socketed wireless AX Broadcom card and faking the product ID ? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMDZ888/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Sonoma supports Intel MacBook Pros from 2018 and 2019, which have 802.11ac with soldered Broadcom chips. It's just a matter of (a) soldered versus (b) socketed. Sonoma supports (a).

It's just a matter of (a) soldered versus (b) socketed. Sonoma supports (a).
Why and how are the drivers different for soldered wifi/bt modules ?

Why and how are the drivers different for soldered wifi/bt modules ?
The following is my best guess:
  • We can spoof GPU IDs between very similar GPU models such as AMD RX 6600 and 6650, or 6900 and 6950
  • But we cannot spoof GPU IDs between RX 6600 and 6800 or, more to the point, between RX 6800/6600 (which are supported in macOS) and RX 6700 (which is not supported)
  • It is therefore likely that each Broadcom WiFi module requires its own dedicated driver, and Device ID spoofing may not work at all
In Sonoma, Apple removed 80211LegacyFamiliy.kext, which contained drivers for the various Broadcom modules we use in Hackintosh. This kext works closely with IOSkywalkFamily.kext, which was also modified. This is why the OpenCore Legacy Patcher attempts to reinstate both of these older kexts.

Back