Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@moabyte

There's no sign of the WiFi module in IOReg. This probably means that on-board WiFi is disabled in BIOS -- please have a look at BIOS -> Onboard Devices.
Bluetooth and wifi connectivity are set to Enabled in BIOS. I've ordered another wifi/BT card, I think this one has bad wifi. I can't think of anything else it could be, unless its the screw issue I've come across.

Hey, everybody. I wanted to clarify at the moment the latest version of BIOS 2602. Can I install Ventura on it?
I had installed version 2305, but I read in the chat ( post-2363988 ) that it is necessary to downgrade and use BIOS version 9901 correct?

Hey, everybody. I wanted to clarify at the moment the latest version of BIOS 2602. Can I install Ventura on it?
I had installed version 2305, but I read in the chat ( post-2363988 ) that it is necessary to downgrade and use BIOS version 9901 correct?
If you don’t use Thunderbolt devices you probably will be fine.

Bios 2204 and above will update the TB firmware nvm to 36. It should be pointed out that 2305 and above are regression locked, and unless unlocked, will not downgrade to 2204 or 9901.

You only need to Use 9901 to downgrade the thunderbolt nvm from 36 back to 31. Why downgrade? As of nvm36, Tb2 devices are no longer compatible with maple ridge. Also, bios 2204 had a bug on some mobo models, where if xmp was enabled, the tb controller would malfunction if a tb device was physically connected, and the system woke from sleep. 2602 has resolved that nasty bug. Also, 2602 updated the cypress pd controller firmware, which addressed some weird connectivity issues (on the z690 formula at least) when the system was powered off and usb-c devices are physically connected to the system. On old firmware, the devices would connect/disconnect ad-infinitum. On the new firmware, this doesn’t happen any more.

But nvm36 + 2602 still has some bugs, particularly if a goshen ridge dock (with 3 downstream tb4 ports) is connected during post. Sometimes the maple ridge controller malfunctions, and tb devices connected to the bus aren’t detected In the preboot environment. Nvm31 has no such problem. The only issue with nvm31 is that some older alpine ridge (jhl6240) devices don’t hotplug properly, they need to be connected before booting the system (nvm36 rectifies this hotplug issue but introduces other issues).

Last edited:
If you don’t use thunderbolt devices you probably will be fine.

Bios 2204 and above will update the tb firmware nvm to 36. It should be pointed out that 2305 and above are regression locked, and unless unlocked, will not downgrade to 2204 or 9901.

You only need to Use 9901 to downgrade the thunderbolt nvm from 36 back to 31. Why downgrade? As of nvm36, Tb2 devices are no longer compatible with maple ridge. Also, bios 2204 had a bug on some mobo models, where if xmp was enabled, the tb controller would malfunction if a tb device was physically connected, and the system woke from sleep. 2602 has resolved that nasty bug. Also, 2602 updated the cypress pd controller firmware, which addressed some weird connectivity issues (on the z690 formula at least) when the system was powered off and usb-c devices are physically connected to the system. On old firmware, the devices would connect/disconnect ad-infinitum. On the new firmware, this doesn’t happen any more.

But nvm36 + 2602 still has some bugs, particularly if a goshen ridge dock (with 3 downstream tb4 ports) is connected during post. Sometimes the maple ridge controller malfunctions, and tb devices connected to the bus aren’t detected In the preboot environment. Nvm31 has no such problem. The only issue with nvm31 is that some older alpine ridge (jhl6240) devices don’t hotplug properly, they need to be connected before booting the system (nvm36 rectifies this hotplug issue but introduces other issues).
Thank you for your detailed response

If you don’t use Thunderbolt devices you probably will be fine.

Bios 2204 and above will update the TB firmware nvm to 36. It should be pointed out that 2305 and above are regression locked, and unless unlocked, will not downgrade to 2204 or 9901.

A link to this post has been added to top of Post 1:

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 8.36.57 AM.png

Hello @rialbdc,

Are you connecting a USB 2 or USB 3 device to the back of your LG monitor?
@CaseySJ USB 2 devices. What also seems to happen is the USB functionality seems to disappear entirely after a while. Whenever the keyboard is connected it will work for a period of time but then drop out and won't return – even after a reboot and a cold start. Wanting to be able to use various Thunderbolt devices but with this glitch, I've turned to other workflows. Thoughts?

I bought a dock for m2 that should work at 20GB (2000mb/s) but everyone I've tested on the z690 only manages to deliver 10GB (1000mb/s) both in window and in Mac (hack) .. has anyone tested the two usb ports- c/Thunderbolt which is said to be 40gb (4000mb/s). And have speeds above 1000mb/s?

I bought a dock for m2 that should work at 20GB (2000mb/s) but everyone I've tested on the z690 only manages to deliver 10GB (1000mb/s) both in window and in Mac (hack) .. has anyone tested the two usb ports- c/Thunderbolt which is said to be 40gb (4000mb/s). And have speeds above 1000mb/s?
I asked a similar question, mine only gives from each port 10gbps even if I plug in a TB4 OWC dock or M2 iPad Pro into the port

Reactions: Rag
@Rag @suren6791

Here are my previous posts with speedtest results concerning external M2 speeds.
This week I received an Acasis TBU405Pro enclosure and have a SN850X 4TB inside. I'm seeing 2700mb/s read and write in this unit, using the latest WD firmware for the drive. One note on this drive, speed definitely improved with the versions of firmware. This new Acasis enclosure has a built in fan which I'm hoping will improve sustained speed as this thing gets HOT when pushed!

Original post with benchmarks

Updated post

Back