Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ
Thank you for an excellent write up. I just finished a build with this board and installation was easy and smooth. Used OC 0.9.3. Monterey and Ventura both installed fine, but stayed with Monterey. Geekbench scores were very low under Ventura, like half. Not sure what that was about, but I'll save Ventura for another day.

I have 2 issues.
first, the onboard sound is not working. Were you able to get it to work and if so how. Second. I replaced the wifi/bt module with a BRCM and BT is working, but there is an exclamation over the WIFI icon in the menu bar and I can't turn it on. Any idea why?

Again, thanks for a great build and any help you can provide.
Hello @moabyte,

On-board audio works properly. I'm posting this from my Z690-i Gaming WiFi system running Sonoma of all things, and Realtek audio is functioning:

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 9.38.17 AM.png

I simply use AppleALCU.kext, but that is not critical. What is critical, however, is that we enable the right USB Port because this motherboard uses USB audio. Please run IORegistryExplorer and check whether USB port HS08 is enabled (2nd screenshot below).

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 9.41.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 9.43.21 AM.png

For WiFi, we should start by disabling BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 in Kernel section of config.plist. Refer to the OpenCore Configurator screenshot above.

Hello @CaseySJ Thanks your support !

I've been thinking about changing my 5700XT card, because ever since I changed my old z390 card to the asus 690, I occasionally get crashes.

These crashes are weird, especially when I'm surfing the internet and 99% of the time, on sites with lots of videos and when I start scrolling through the pages, the machine becomes slow... until it crashes and restarts.

At first I thought it could be memory, usb, m2 over almost 1 year, I've been doing tests to try to find the problem without any solution.

Exchanges of memories, m2, cables etc.. nothing solved.

The only thing that crosses my mind now is that it could be the GPU, 5700XT, I tried to find out if anyone has had this problem but without success.

Here on this list, from what I could see, everyone no longer uses the 5700xt, did you ever see anyone having something similar to what I'm having?

Thanks.
I am still using the a 5700XT in one of my systems, but I don't experience any crashes. Some questions and suggestions:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Have you tried installing a fresh copy of macOS on a new APFS Volume or a spare SSD? Then check for crashes without installing any third-party applications

Reactions: Rag
Hello wise people. Have been reading this thread a lot, but still have some questions that you might help me with.

I got weirdly exited with the idea of such a build. Z690i Gaming wifi in an itx case with 4080 inside and 6900 XT connected through the M.2 SSD slot. I know this should work because I ran eGPU like this on my 2015 MacBook with adt link M.2 SSD eGPU adapter.

So, basically, I want to have dual boot system on 1 split in half wd SSD. 4080 in GPU slot and 6900 XT connected to second M.2 slot through adt link card.

The only disadvantages of this build, I think, will be able inability to use GC Titan Ridge or Fenvi WiFi card. Which is both OK since TB3/4 hot plug should work, and WiFi can be solved with onboard solution.

Any thoughts?
Several comments:
  • Although the ADT Link M.2 to eGPU adapter worked with a real MacBook, it is not likely to work with Hackintosh because eGPU requires Thunderbolt Bus, which is something we haven't been able to achieve on Z690/Maple Ridge motherboard
    • There is one exception, however, which is Big Sur
    • If we run Big Sur on an Asus Z690 motherboard that has on-board Maple Ridge controller, then Thunderbolt Bus will be activated by default
    • So you can test the ADT Link adapter with Big Sur

I am still using the a 5700XT in one of my systems, but I don't experience any crashes. Some questions and suggestions:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Have you tried installing a fresh copy of macOS on a new APFS Volume or a spare SSD? Then check for crashes without installing any third-party applications
Yeah it's @CaseySJ
All this I have already done, several copies .. installations of Zero. I've also tried installing from scratch with Monterey, Ventura and even the new Sonoma.
Always the same problem, for the test I open Safari or even Chrome, a page with many videos and I start to scroll the page and then it crashes, it is never at the same point, sometimes I need to go 10x for it to happen, in others 2 or 3x .
I just bought a Shaphire 6900xt today. It could be something on my board.
Because other things I've tried:
1. turn off ethernet ports
2. Don't use BT
3. swapping memories
4. turn off wifi
5. Don't use any USB port
6. exchanges of m2 ... I have several different brands, I changed positions.
7. I used Sata ssd as boot.. also had problem.

I come to the conclusion that I only have 3 alternatives:
1. or my motherboard would have some problem, but that doesn't happen in Windows, it works perfectly
2. or it is a problem with the video card, with some incorrect addressing for MACOS
3. or processor defect..

But I find it difficult to be processor or motherboard, because in this case it would be a problem in windows.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Manual sleep is working, but my system will not wake on timed sleep under MacOS 13.5.
Anyone else?
Unfortunate Update:

Today I booted the Z690 ProArt Creator and manually invoked Sleep from the Apple menu with 10GbE cable connected. Unfortunately, the system wakes up automatically after about 2 seconds. If left undisturbed, it attempts to go back to sleep, but wakes again after 2 seconds.

So we're not quite out of the woods...

UPDATE:
  • Auto sleep works properly with 10GbE connected! :) System wakes up just fine with a key press.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
  • Auto sleep works properly with 10GbE connected! :) System wakes up just fine with a key press.
Anything different or just simple 13.5 update?

28 July 2023 - Asus ProArt Z690-Creator build updated using Hackindrom v2.1.8

• Ventura 13.5 upgrade is successful.

Hello @moabyte,

On-board audio works properly. I'm posting this from my Z690-i Gaming WiFi system running Sonoma of all things, and Realtek audio is functioning:

View attachment 569639
I simply use AppleALCU.kext, but that is not critical. What is critical, however, is that we enable the right USB Port because this motherboard uses USB audio. Please run IORegistryExplorer and check whether USB port HS08 is enabled (2nd screenshot below).

View attachment 569640
View attachment 569641
For WiFi, we should start by disabling BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 in Kernel section of config.plist. Refer to the OpenCore Configurator screenshot above.
Got the Audio working, thanks for showing me what port its on. As for the Wifi, I do have both the kexts above disabled and removed from the EFI kext folder. I also removed the BlueToolFixup.kext. BT is working great, WIFI still shows and exclamation over the icon in menu bar. Thanks for your help.

Got the Audio working, thanks for showing me what port its on. As for the Wifi, I do have both the kexts above disabled and removed from the EFI kext folder. I also removed the BlueToolFixup.kext. BT is working great, WIFI still shows and exclamation over the icon in menu bar. Thanks for your help.
Please compress and post the EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo -> DataHub

Back