Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi, I believe this is the same firmware embedded into Z690 Creator bios 2204. Do you have a link for that…?

Under Drivers and Utilities / Bios and firmware.

@mattbatt
I apologize I haven't contributed a response... been away...
I use Resolve daily (on multiple hackintoshes) and don't have issue. I'm typing this on my main work machine, which is a z790 Creator running OC 0.9.3 and Ventura 13.4. I use BM Desktop Video 12.4.2 on this machine, and on a z690 Creator, and on several z390 Designares. Notice the Casey theme??

All BM I/O devices are cards -- not Thunderbolt -- however. The key to getting Mac to recognize the BM cards is the little trick listed on that Designare thread which forces the installation of the DeckLink_Driver.kext. If you're using TB-based BM, I cannot help as we don't use those, but I did for awhile use a TB-2 Ultrastudio on a z390 Designare (non-flashed TB) and it functioned fairly well.
Best,
J

Thank you, I have the card, not Thunderbolt. I'm getting ready to build a 13900KF on a z790 and will see how everything goes!

Only the last two have native drivers.
Hello @CaseySJ thanks.

I have two questions:

1. this 7900xt is compatible ? (native)

2. I buy Hyper M2 X16 Gen 4 Card Asus
This card is possible use 4 slots m2 and Z690 ProArt ?

Thanks

Hello @CaseySJ thanks.

I have two questions:

1. this 7900xt is compatible ? (native)

Thanks
7900xt is not compatible

Reactions: Rag

Unfortunately this is not fully usable on the Z690 ProArt because it does not offer x4/x4/x4/x4 bifurcation on the x16 PCIe slot.

Please refer to this post on Asus website:

On Z690 ProArt we can only install one NVMe SSD in the Hyper M.2 card, which is useless!

An alternative, however, is the following card that uses ASM2824 chipset to provide on-board bifurcation. However, it connects to the computer via 8 lanes (x8).

And here's another alternative (lower profile because it's double-sided):

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is not fully usable on the Z690 ProArt because it does not offer x4/x4/x4/x4 bifurcation on the x16 PCIe slot.

Please refer to this post on Asus website:

On Z690 ProArt we can only install one NVMe SSD in the Hyper M.2 card, which is useless!

An alternative, however, is the following card that uses ASM2824 chipset to provide on-board bifurcation. However, it connects to the computer via 8 lanes (x8).

And here's another alternative (lower profile because it's double-sided):

Thanks @CaseySJ
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, the first option when you talk about X8 I would have some problem using it with a 5700xT or 6900XT.
Would there be any loss of performance?
From what I understand you recommend the first correct indication?

** New Build: Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi mini-ITX **
@CaseySJ
Thank you for an excellent write up. I just finished a build with this board and installation was easy and smooth. Used OC 0.9.3. Monterey and Ventura both installed fine, but stayed with Monterey. Geekbench scores were very low under Ventura, like half. Not sure what that was about, but I'll save Ventura for another day.

I have 2 issues.
first, the onboard sound is not working. Were you able to get it to work and if so how. Second. I replaced the wifi/bt module with a BRCM and BT is working, but there is an exclamation over the WIFI icon in the menu bar and I can't turn it on. Any idea why?

Again, thanks for a great build and any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.07.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.07.45 PM.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.15.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.15.19 PM.png
    37 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.11.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 1.11.02 PM.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 24
Hello @CaseySJ Thanks your support !

I've been thinking about changing my 5700XT card, because ever since I changed my old z390 card to the asus 690, I occasionally get crashes.

These crashes are weird, especially when I'm surfing the internet and 99% of the time, on sites with lots of videos and when I start scrolling through the pages, the machine becomes slow... until it crashes and restarts.

At first I thought it could be memory, usb, m2 over almost 1 year, I've been doing tests to try to find the problem without any solution.

Exchanges of memories, m2, cables etc.. nothing solved.

The only thing that crosses my mind now is that it could be the GPU, 5700XT, I tried to find out if anyone has had this problem but without success.

Here on this list, from what I could see, everyone no longer uses the 5700xt, did you ever see anyone having something similar to what I'm having?

Thanks.

Hello wise people. Have been reading this thread a lot, but still have some questions that you might help me with.

I got weirdly exited with the idea of such a build. Z690i Gaming wifi in an itx case with 4080 inside and 6900 XT connected through the M.2 SSD slot. I know this should work because I ran eGPU like this on my 2015 MacBook with adt link M.2 SSD eGPU adapter.

So, basically, I want to have dual boot system on 1 split in half wd SSD. 4080 in GPU slot and 6900 XT connected to second M.2 slot through adt link card.

The only disadvantages of this build, I think, will be able inability to use GC Titan Ridge or Fenvi WiFi card. Which is both OK since TB3/4 hot plug should work, and WiFi can be solved with onboard solution.

Any thoughts?

Confirmed!

With 10GbE cable connected, sleep works properly once again.

Manual sleep is working, but my system will not wake on timed sleep under MacOS 13.5.
Anyone else?

Back