Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

if a Thunderbolt device is physically connected at warm reboot from the BIOS, or physically connected when the system goes to sleep, the Thunderbolt controller malfunctions, it dies, and is no longer detected anymore. Requiring a reboot.
I will add this happens when I connected any Thunderbolt 2 device with either the Apple Adapter or Startech adapter.
I have plenty of videos showcasing the controller dying when trying to connect so may send to ASUS.

Native Thunderbolt 3 device works with XMP enabled 5600, NVM38 (on my machine anyway).

How has your SN850X been performing since you updated its firmware? You're using it as a boot drive, correct?
Any issues?
I'm using an SN850 1TB as a boot drive with latest firmware and seems to work fine? 12.6.2 Monterey.
Also running an SN850X 2TB as a scratch drive for video editing, and that's working fine, too.

Not using an NVMEfix.kext either if that's useful information to you.

I will add this happens when i connected any Thunderbolt 2 device with either the Apple Adapter or Startech adapter.
I have plenty of videos showcasing the controller dying when trying to connect so may send to ASUS.

Native Thunderbolt 3 device works with XMP enabled 5600, NVM38 (on my machine anyway).
In terms of native TB3 devices, what about when you put the system to sleep (with XMP on), when you wake the system, do the devices remain connected… or do they disconnect?

In terms of native TB3 devices, what about when you put the system to sleep (with XMP on), when you wake the system, do the devices remain connected… or do they disconnect?
The only TB3 device I use is a UAD Apollo Twin X and that reconnects every time. No matter how many times I put it to sleep and wake it, it'll connect.

I'm using SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V1B btw.

The only TB3 device I use is a UAD Apollo Twin X and that reconnects every time. No matter how many times I put it to sleep and wake it, it'll connect.

I'm using SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V1B btw.
Great! My Thunderbolt TB3 devices (NVMe enclosures, 10 Gbps Ethernet) don’t reconnect. Even in Windows/Linux. Once XMP is enabled, when the system sleeps and awakens, the Thunderbolt controller dies. Same exact devices and cables worked properly on Z690 NVM31... no issues until 2204 and NVM36. I tested the Asus Hero z790 and had the same problems.

I would like to thank @CaseySJ once again for his time and effort in making the onboard Thunderbolt work. I just plugged in a 4 disk NVMe TB3 enclosure, and it just appeared on the desktop! :thumbup:

I’ve also been freeze up free all day as well. :clap:
Can confirm your TB3 NVMe enclosure reconnects after a sleep cycle?

@dehjomz Thunderbolt seems to bug out.

Is your speed running at 6000? And everything is stable?
Yes. Since I’ve moved the macOS drive to the CPU slot and dropped voltage to 1.285 and set line load to 6 I’ve been stable and freeze up free. (I probably just jinxed myself.) :silent:

On another note, although benchmarks are good in macOS, power management seems off in Windows and Ubuntu. I use hqplayer to upsample pcm to dsd512 and I get better results with my old 9900K and a Titan X than I do with the 13900K, so something is still not right somewhere. Gotta look into that.

I’ll check the sleep thing when I’m back at the computer. I don’t think sleep works for me... or the computer. :lol: I’ll unplug all USB stuff and try to sleep it and see if Thunderbolt comes back.

I used the onboard TB for the drive. I have a flashed Titan Ridge I use for a bridge to another Mac. I’ll try both and report back.

I noticed Asus updated its website description for z690 2204:

"Thunderbolt 1/2 devices will no longer be supported by BIOS 2204 due to a change made by Intel® regarding the update of Thunderbolt firmware to NVM 36"

I noticed Asus updated its website description for z690 2204:

"Thunderbolt 1/2 devices will no longer be supported by BIOS 2204 due to a change made by Intel® regarding the update of Thunderbolt firmware to NVM 36"
Yes, I got the 1/2 devices no longer supported for Thunderbolt EX4 card TB & PD Firmware Update.

Back