Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@moomshooter good point about the wires, I was thinking from an old motherboard for which the wires were long enough. Btw, where did you find this adapter ? I never found one with a flat connector like that, it seems very neat and allow the shroud, by mounting the module somewhere else :)

@etorix Can you elaborate more and tell me which Gigabyte z690/790 motherboards have lost the support for Titan Ridge?
At some point I made this summary of the problems that were reported here and there. I don't know if there's a comprehensive, updated, list somewhere.

Short take: If you're planning a 600/700-series build which requires working Thunderbolt, get a GC-Titan Ridge card but a non-Gigabyte motherboard.
If you already have a Gigabyte motherboard, be VERY wary with BIOS updates, always make sure you can revert to an old, working, BIOS and be prepared to pester Gigabyte to get TR support back. (No guarantee that Gigabyte wiil change policy, or even provide you with a custom updated BIOS with TR support, as @ori69 got for his Z690 Gaming X.)

I'm on Ventura 13.2.1 ... I don't use beta version. The reconnection of usb.c devices works with both V1B and V2 but, at the monent, I'm using V2 because of the NHI spoof.
I have no clue with it doesn't happen here. I believe I tried it in 13.2.1 as well but I can not be sure about it.

Can I have more info on that?
Long story short, Ori69 and a few other people some months ago noticed that TB support was being dropped from latest Gigabyte BIOSes. etorix, very active on this forum, noticed users reporting it so dropped Gigabyte boards from his recommendations. Fast forward, Ori69 contacted Gigabyte support and asked to bring support back to the BIOS of his Gaming X DDR4 (which I really wanted to love, but I could not get it to work reliably months ago...). Check this post.

I have written to Gigabyte support many times. This made me the only one who wrote BIOSes for Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and Z690 UD DDR5 with Titan Ridge support.
Can you upload it somewhere if I decide to go back to a Gaming X DDR4?

Last edited:
I have no clue with it doesn't happen here. I believe I tried it in 13.2.1 as well but I can not be sure about it.

Long story short, Ori69 and a few other people some months ago noticed that TB support was being dropped from latest Gigabyte BIOSes. etorix, very active on this forum, noticed users reporting it so dropped Gigabyte boards from his recommendations. Fast forward, Ori69 contacted Gigabyte support and asked to bring support back to the BIOS of his Gaming X DDR4 (which I really wanted to love, but I could not get it to work reliably months ago...). Check this post.

Can you upload it somewhere if I decide to go back to a Gaming X DDR4?

Attachments

• Z690GAMINGXDDR4GC.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 50
Z790 ProArt has a new BIOS version out, 0816.
Release notes state "-Support high-capacity DDR5 memory kits", and thats it.

Should i attempt to update? If that's the only improvement then i don't really need to atm.. It would be more of a "see if the bios works" experiment.

Has anyone else updated yet?

Z790 ProArt has a new BIOS version out, 0816.
Release notes state "-Support high-capacity DDR5 memory kits", and thats it.

Should i attempt to update? If that's the only improvement then i don't really need to atm.. It would be more of a "see if the bios works" experiment.

They’ve changed ACPI and I get constant kernel panics, didn’t pinpoint cause yet.

I am on 816. I went straight to 816 before I updated the ME. My problem with the nvme seems to have been location. Don’t use the lower right side nvme for macOS.

After I moved the NVMe things got better. The 2 freeze ups I experienced after haven’t happened today. Computer was running and used for 6-7 hours without a restart.

I have since lowered my core voltage to 1.28500 and set line load to level 6.

XMP is enabled. RAM is DDR5-6000 (2x32).

Temps are good.
Core usage seems better.

I’ll try it like this for a bit. Haven’t tried any other OSes yet. Well except for a brief run in Windows to update the ME and BIOS when I first did the build.

Edit: Added images. Since changing voltage and line load, i've had no freezeups and no beachballs. processor was hitting 5.8ghz and temps never went above 80c.

Attachments

• GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
  • PowerGadget GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    PowerGadget GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 39
  • istat GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    istat GB5 1.285v Lvl6.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Try to disable “Unlock with iPhone” setting on your iphone passcode menu. That worked for me.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine was off already but I tried with it on and off again. Still no luck.

@ori69
Thanks! I would love to give a try to Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X AX but at this point I can only know if it supports Thunderbolt from BIOS screenshots I guess... uhm....

Back