Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@Azimuth1,

Are you planning to try BIOS 2004? If you do, please let us know how it goes. The new BIOS updates appear to be causing plenty of headaches.

@CaseySJ I guess you area talking of BIOS v. 2204 , and no I haven't updated so far. I'm just one version ahead of you, on v. 2103. If you need some information from this BIOS, just le me know and I will be glad to help.

My idea was that a new update of BIOS might fix the old problems on front USB-C port and it's PD 4.0/QC+ standard that causes those erratic disconnections/reconnections, but at the moment I'm reading that new BIOS version is causing more problems than before, as you wrote.

I guess something more profound is changing with these new versions of BIOS that supports Alder Lake chips and probably we had to rethink about our SSDTs or MMIO tables or SSDTs but all this stuff is beyond my knowledge.

Not even sure to upgrade to 13700K/KF because my main goal is to have stability over performance. Maybe I might end buying a 2nd-hand 12900K/KS if I need more performance.

I tried both classic ver and cloud ver they have the same issue, but lightroom ( not lightroom classic) and photoshop working normally. The problem is when you hit the develop tab then the error " An error occured when attempting to change module". Also you don't have the " Import " button in library tab, just have one " Export" button.

IMHO this is nothing to do with your Hackintosh. If you have the possibility you should go for creating a completely new user profile in your Mac/Hack. Delete the old one. And re-install from scratch the Adobe Suite. I guess this link can help you: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/error-changing-modules-lightroom.html

@CaseySJ I guess you area talking of BIOS v. 2204 , and no I haven't updated so far. I'm just one version ahead of you, on v. 2103. If you need some information from this BIOS, just le me know and I will be glad to help.
I was actually referring to 2004 because that’s what I’m currently using. Been very happy with that version. Yes, front panel USB-C eject issue remains, but I wonder if that’s a DSDT issue that could be patched.

My idea was that a new update of BIOS might fix the old problems on front USB-C port and it's PD 4.0/QC+ standard that causes those erratic disconnections/reconnections, but at the moment I'm reading that new BIOS version is causing more problems than before, as you wrote.

I guess something more profound is changing with these new versions of BIOS that supports Alder Lake chips and probably we had to rethink about our SSDTs or MMIO tables or SSDTs but all this stuff is beyond my knowledge.
Dortania has a guide on MMIO white listing. We need to do this on AMD AM5 and it works quite well. In fact AMD AM5 has turned out to be an excellent choice for Hackintosh. We have resolved nearly all issues on that platform other than Thunderbolt hot plug. Thunderbolt devices work when connected and powered before boot. My primary focus over the past 2 months has been on AM5. I just love that platform now.

Not even sure to upgrade to 13700K/KF because my main goal is to have stability over performance. Maybe I might end buying a 2nd-hand 12900K/KS if I need more performance.

Well, first trial and it has already failed :) I gave it a shot to boot with my RX 580 until I got my 6800 XT this week. But unfortunately white led is lighting on the board, which means failure with VGA and booting. Figured out that disabling CSM is simply solving it :) Now I can at least install it until the new card arrives :)

By the way, it came with the BIOS 2004 on it, also stumbled on the XMP issue @CatBus mentioned, disabling it solves the boot issue.

Last edited:
Ok so update, apart from my boot problems (which are not really related), it went crazily smooth! Thank you once again @CaseySJ I have used 0.8.0 version to start with, then upgraded to 0.8.3 and then upgraded to 0.8.7 manually (had to replace drivers as well). Installing Ventura now. Haven't tested many of the stuff yet, but on the paper pretty much everything looks like working (checking the validation part). When 10GbE LAN connected, sleep is interrupted (waking up direct after turning off fans etc.), but if not plugged in, even that seems to work.

I will keep you posted and send a detailed update in the following days. Tomorrow, I am getting 6800 XT, will switch the cards and start tests.

Last edited:
I tried both classic ver and cloud ver they have the same issue, but lightroom ( not lightroom classic) and photoshop working normally. The problem is when you hit the develop tab then the error " An error occured when attempting to change module". Also you don't have the " Import " button in library tab, just have one " Export" button.
I had the same problem on my z590 (now z690/13600K) system. Only solution is to revert back to LRC 11.1. On my other z690 system LRC works like a charm. Have tried literally everything I can think of to fix it, but no dice. Happens with a fresh install of OS as well for me. So might be a problem with AppleVTD-Thunderbolt (or a Adobe bug)

I had the same problem on my z590 (now z690/13600K) system. Only solution is to revert back to LRC 11.1. On my other z690 system LRC works like a charm. Have tried literally everything I can think of to fix it, but no dice. Happens with a fresh install of OS as well for me. So might be a problem with AppleVTD-Thunderbolt (or a Adobe bug)
Same problem here...but sooooo weird!

This is my post describing the problem... I was on the latest Lr 12, then Ventura screwed something...that even going back remais! https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ot-solving-even-reinstalling-monterey.323776/

Should the ME be updated before or after updating the BIOS?
Per the Asus website, it says before.

For example, for BIOS 2204:
“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020 to ensure optimized system settings.”

Please note that upgrading to 2204 also comes with a Thunderbolt NVM update to v36 which has some pluses (enhanced compatibility with older TB3 devices that never used to hot plug, but they now do after the NVM update) and minuses (Thunderbolt controller is not powered on after a warm reboot from within the BIOS or macOS; however, so long as the controller is powered on, then a warm reboot from Windows or Linux is fine).

Perhaps use 2103 or below for now. Up to you if you want to take the risk to 2204 maybe you don’t care about Thunderbolt. But make sure to update to the relevant Intel ME especially if you’re using Raptor Lake.

Last edited:
Per the Asus websiteV it says before.

For example, for bios 2204:
“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020 to ensure optimized system settings.”

Please note that upgrading to 2204 also comes with a Thunderbolt NVM update to v36 which has some pluses (enhanced compatibility with older TB3 devices that never used to hot plug, but they now do after the NVM update) and minuses (Thunderbolt controller is not powered on after a warm reboot from within the BIOS or macOS; however, so long as the controller is powered on, then a warm reboot from Windows or Linux is fine).

Perhaps use 2103 or below for now. Up to you if you want to take the risk to 2204 maybe you don’t care about Thunderbolt. But make sure to update to the relevant Intel ME especially if you’re using Raptor Lake.
I'm on BIOS 2103 and Thunderbolt is still running smoothly. I'm glad I heeded your warnings earlier!

Back