Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

This time the problem seems to be here:

0xffffffffdcd2ba60 : 0xffffff8015aa2332 com.zxystd.IntelBluetoothFirmware : __ZN19USBDeviceController16interruptHandlerEPvS0_ij + 0x20
0xffffffffdcd2ba90 : 0xffffff80161752f7 com.zxystd.IntelBTPatcher : __ZL17asyncIOCompletionPvS_ij + 0x207
0xffffffffdcd2bb00 : 0xffffff8014a29296 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily : __ZN17AppleUSBIORequest8completeEv + 0x1048
0xffffffffdcd2bcd0 : 0xffffff80133e5aef com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBCommon : __ZN24AppleUSBRequestCompleter20completeRequestQueueEP11queue_entry + 0x2d1
0xffffffffdcd2bee0 : 0xffffff80133e5801 com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBCommon : __ZN24AppleUSBRequestCompleter12checkForWorkEv + 0x1ed
0xffffffffdcd2bf20 : 0xffffff80122437be mach_kernel : __ZN10IOWorkLoop15runEventSourcesEv + 0x13e
0xffffffffdcd2bf60 : 0xffffff8012242de7 mach_kernel : __ZN10IOWorkLoop10threadMainEv + 0x37
0xffffffffdcd2bfa0 : 0xffffff8011a1c19e mach_kernel : _call_continuation + 0x2e

Some questions:
  • You stated earlier that Monterey 12.6.x had been running smoothly for a couple of months, but after a BIOS upgrade to 2004 these crashes started occurring. Is that correct? No.
  • Are you sure you installed BIOS 2004 and not 2204? It is not 2204. I am thinking to update.
I have an update on the issues. I think moving ssd from slot 2 to slot 1 helped with previous crashes. I have been running for 2-3 hrs already and machine seems to be stable. Also, moving ethernet cable from 10Gb to 2.5Gb fixed instant wake from sleep issue.

Z790 is three generations past the last supported Intel chipset that Apple used. Of course there will be potential problems.
Well, isn't it the purpose of this platform anyways? Finding potential solutions or figuring out that there are no solutions while hackintoshing :) I was thinking what kind of considerable problems could appear or if there would be any significant difference compared to Z690 MBs, which @etorix answered below anyway.

Points to consider:
Is it still worthwhile to build a hackintosh now? Intel support is likely to be dropped two or three releases from now.
Which additional feature of Z790 makes it desirable over Z690?

Early attempts with Z790 were immediately successful. But what we're seeing, especially with Gigabyte boards, is problems creeping in through BIOS updates (sleep issues, wilful removal of support for Titan Ridge)—and these are propagated back to Z690. Z690 has the benefit that there was a known good working state, whereas Z790 may ship with a "bad BIOS" from day 1.
If you have a use case for Z790, carefully go ahead. But be wary of BIOS updates ("if it ain't broken , don't fix it"). Newer is no longer necessarily better.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Feature-wise they seem pretty much identical actually. I was just thinking, if there would not be any significant differences/problems and if it would be better to go with a Z790 mobo and last gen Intel CPU. But as you said, it seems like there is no point of risking since it is more problematic with Z790 mobos. I will think a bit more, maybe go with Z790 setup and give it a try at least to share here my findings, thanks again for the answer.

I have an update on the issues. I think moving ssd from slot 2 to slot 1 helped with previous crashes. I have been running for 2-3 hrs already and machine seems to be stable. Also, moving ethernet cable from 10Gb to 2.5Gb fixed instant wake from sleep issue.
I wonder if we need to specify MMIO whitelist. Hmm...

Guys, I'm frustrated with the fact I can't make it to work.
So I got Z690, followed the tutorial, used the EFI, and got stuck on apfs_module_start 3005 and 3031.
I removed the m2 and put in another one. the same.
I tried to boot without any m2 or SSD, same error
Disabled the secure boot nothing, put on default, the same.

Tried many different config.plist with many variations of settings and so far nothing.
I created a boot drive with Monterey, tried to boot got a different message but get stuck as well.

I found this guy through google with the keyword apfs module start, but I can't figure out his solution.

Please, help me out.
I really need to make it to work. I'll follow any recommendations or guides to make it work.
If you have the build than me, please share anything.
Thanks

IMG_4118.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 3.02.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 3.02.41 AM.png
    287.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 3.14.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 3.14.32 AM.png
    489.2 KB · Views: 33
@fabrik,

Which version of BIOS is installed?

It's also helpful to list all the devices connected to motherboard.

A little bit of history: the very first installation of macOS Monterey 12.1 on slot 2 drive never resulted in KP, and, with network cable connected to 10Gb, sleep-wake worked OK. After that, I was mainly using Win 11, updating BIOS regularly, and the other day also updated Intel ME from official Asus support page. I did not do any hardware changes. With Monterey I only updated it to 12.4, and then to 12.6.2 and updated Safari. Updated OC from 0.8.0 to current 0.8 7. Enabled Intel Wi-Fi and BT.

Hey @CaseySJ
About the devices connected, h150i Corsair cooler, 32GB (2x16GB) Skyx, 2 TB m2 Kingston Fury, Sapphire 6800XT an old keyboard from razer and a cabled mouse. I'm using the Anker USB HUB connected to the frontal USB port)

I did not even connect the ethernet cable fearing any interference.
On Windows, works with everything (even Bluetooth and Wifi).
I updated the Bios to Version 2103.

Thanks for your support. I would like you to know although I appreciate your help, I'm doing my best to search for a solution, if you see my posts, I took the whole night (last night) trying, researching for it. Thank you

Last edited:
This does look like a MMIO issue. But since AppleVTD is active, DisableIoMapper is disabled and there's nothing to whitelist.
Has a BIOS update changed the DMAR table?

Or are you considering going back to activate DisableIoMapper, force the old i210 driver/patch the Aquantia dext to recover the network without AppleVTD, and try to whitelist as many IOMMU regions as possible (Ryzen-style)?

This does look like a MMIO issue. But since AppleVTD is active, DisableIoMapper is disabled and there's nothing to whitelist.
Has a BIOS update changed the DMAR table?

Or are you considering going back to activate DisableIoMapper, force the old i210 driver/patch the Aquantia dext to recover the network without AppleVTD, and try to whitelist as many IOMMU regions as possible (Ryzen-style)?
Yes this is the experiment I would try myself. The symptoms are indicative of MMIO address issues. Although there could be a different root cause, one should try to rule out MMIO.

Hey @CaseySJ
About the devices connected, h150i Corsair cooler, 32GB (2x16GB) Skyx, 2 TB m2 Kingston Fury, Sapphire 6800XT an old keyboard from razer and a cabled mouse. I'm using the Anker USB HUB connected to the frontal USB port)

I did not even connect the ethernet cable fearing any interference.
On Windows, works with everything (even Bluetooth and Wifi).
I updated the Bios to Version 2103.

Thanks for your support. I would like you to know although I appreciate your help, I'm doing my best to search for a solution, if you see my posts, I took the whole night (last night) trying, researching for it. Thank you
Some things to try:
  • Disconnect Corsair H150i from Internal USB port if it’s connected to it
  • Which M.2 slot is your SSD installed in? Consider moving to another slot
  • Consider BIOS 2004 to f you’re using 12th Gen CPU
Update: Just noticed you have 13th Gen CPU. Is BIOS 2103 the earliest one that supports 13th Gen? Currently traveling so my internet bandwidth is limited.

Back