Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello @CaseySJ Thanks your support

Now that I was looking at the Azus Z690 ProArt Board, there is an option to put the BT using this solution from the BCM94360NG 802.11, and in this case, as the board has 3 pci slots, I can use it with the 3 things
I need:
1 .video board
2. highpoint 3742
3. Titan Ridge (even if asus already has support, using something native would be better)

Do you agree with what I wrote?
Yes absolutely. We can replace the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module with Fenvi BCM94360NG and save a PCIe slot.

Reactions: Rag
One question about Pro tools. Why is better than logic pro or others?
They are different tools for different work. I could not mix a movie without a eucon surface like an s3 or s6. I do post pro. Logic is more music oriented. I will not enter a DAW debate.

anything that doesnt work ?
It was easier than my Designare builds fiddling through different BIOS and fixing the Thunderbolt. I will post here if anything shows up. However, I don't use wifi, Bluetooth, internal audio, sleep or iCloud. I use 3 screens, dante network and MTRX, and import and deliver a lot of stems on a server on a 10gig network. I still feel more comfortable with an Intel hack than with Mac studio for Rosetta software despite the energy issues. The ProArt Creator is very quiet with the Noctua NH-D15.

Yes absolutely. We can replace the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module with Fenvi BCM94360NG and save a PCIe slot.
Very good @CaseySJ

Some doubts because I've already decided that I'm going to bring everything from the USA, I'm going to buy the z690 ProArt.
I have a 5700RX card, will it work fine in this hack or would I need a 6800RX?

Do you think that having 64 or 128 would help performance as I use Parallels on occasion.

Another important issue, I have Samsung's M2 970 Pro, running with Z390, they run fine on this new card.

And I already ordered the new 13900K, I see that there is KS, buying the KS that is without video would lose some performance.

The memories, despite recommending G.Skill, 5800, what do you think of Corsair or another brand would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for the help.

I have a 5700RX card, will it work fine in this hack or would I need a 6800RX?
Just the same.
Do you think that having 64 or 128 would help performance as I use Parallels on occasion.
That depends on your precise workload. But the more the better I suppose.
Another important issue, I have Samsung's M2 970 Pro, running with Z390, they run fine on this new card.
Samsung SSDs are not the current recommendation—and this does not depend on the motherboard, it's between macOS and the SSD controller.
And I already ordered the new 13900K, I see that there is KS, buying the KS that is without video would lose some performance.
iGPU-less is 'F'. 'KS' is the top bin for extreme overclockers—with insane price tag to match. If this is a work machine and you're not overclocking, do NOT go for a 'KS'—and even not for a 'K' if there's a closely matching "regular" model. 'F' are all fine if you do not expect to ever run Windows or Linux, since the iGPU is not supported by macOS and will certainly never get support.
With the new generation Raptor Lake on Z690, you'll be a pioneer: Please report! But I expect this to just work.

Reactions: Rag
Just the same.

That depends on your precise workload. But the more the better I suppose.

Samsung SSDs are not the current recommendation—and this does not depend on the motherboard, it's between macOS and the SSD controller.

iGPU-less is 'F'. 'KS' is the top bin for extreme overclockers—with insane price tag to match. If this is a work machine and you're not overclocking, do NOT go for a 'KS'—and even not for a 'K' if there's a closely matching "regular" model. 'F' are all fine if you do not expect to ever run Windows or Linux, since the iGPU is not supported by macOS and will certainly never get support.
With the new generation Raptor Lake on Z690, you'll be a pioneer: Please report! But I expect this to just work.
Thank you very much @etorix

I have two doubts:

As for the M2 SSD on amazon by the link suggested on the build page there are 4 models, which one would be the best?

And as for the 13900, I didn't quite understand your answer either, would it be better to buy the K or KF?

Thanks

Attachments

• Captura de tela 05.10.2022 às 17.54.22 PM.png
    Captura de tela 05.10.2022 às 17.54.22 PM.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
K is basically like high performing, overclockable version while KF is the same thing without integrated gpu intel uhd 770 or whatever it cones with

As for the M2 SSD on amazon by the link suggested on the build page there are 4 models, which one would be the best?
The "regular" SN850 is known to work. I had not heard of the SN850X before and WD is short on technical details (different controller? just a different firmware?). Anyway, out of safety, I'd stick to the SN850.
With or without heatsink is your call, depending whether you motherboard provides one.

And as for the 13900, I didn't quite understand your answer either, would it be better to buy the K or KF?
For macOS it's the same since the iGPU will never work anyway.
If you ever plan to dual boot the build into another OS (Linux, Windows,…) it may be helpful to have a working iGPU (and the price difference is minimal for an i9).
If you're confident that the build is macOS only, you may as well get the 'F'.

This is the most I could dig up from a Google Search. WD doesn't disclose whether it (SN850X) uses a new controller or keeps the same one in the non-X version.
The biggest difference of the WD_BLACK SN850X is the use of BiCS5 flash memory. This generation of TLC 3D NAND is designed for 112-layer stacking. In contrast, the WD_BLACK SN850 was launched with 96-layer BiCS4 products. BiCS5 has improved capacity density and access performance.

Here's what WD has to say about this BiCS5 flash memory:

Second-generation multi-tier memory hole technology, improved engineering processes and other 3D NAND cell enhancements significantly increase cell array density horizontally across the wafer. These "lateral scaling" advancements in combination with 112 layers of vertical memory capability enables BiCS5 to offer up to 40 percent* more bits of storage capacity per wafer compared to Western Digital's 96-layer BiCS4 technology, while optimizing cost. New design enhancements also accelerate performance, enabling BiCS5 to offer up to 50 percent faster I/O performance compared to BiCS4.**
BiCS5 technology was developed jointly with technology and manufacturing partner Kioxia Corporation. It will be manufactured at the joint venture fabrication facilities in Yokkaichi in Mie Prefecture, Japan and Kitakami City, Iwate Prefecture, Japan.

I would opt for the version with the lowest available price per GB. If the 850X costs significantly less it's worth taking a chance and being an early adopter. If it doesn't work well with macOS it's not difficult to switch to the non-X version.

1665054817436.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much @etorix

I have two doubts:

Thanks
I have the SN850X in my external enclosure, and it runs perfectly in MacOS within the enclosure.

See here.

Last edited:
Back