Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Anyone could share the process replacing the wifi/BT onboard by the Fenvi one?

tks
Hello @Malenca,

Which motherboard are you referring to?
  • Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
  • Asus ROG String Z690-i Gaming

This build looks great @CaseySJ !!!

Ive been rocking a MSI Z590i Unify with 10850k for my daily driver... in a NZXT H1 (new riser cable) for awhile... the 2 TB ports are filling my needs... will rock this mobo until Apple decides to retire x86 support entirely.

Last edited:

This build looks great @CaseySJ !!!

Ive been rocking a MSI Z590i Unify with 10850k for my daily driver... in a NZXT H1 (new riser cable) for awhile... the 2 TB ports is filling my needs... will rock this mobo until Apple decides to retire x86 support entirely.
Agreed -- it's good to hold on to the still relatively recent MSI Z590i. It's been two days since assembling the mini-ITX system and I'm really satisfied with the form factor. My plan is to hold on to the following 4 systems:
  1. Asus ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi (Lian Li O11 Air mini)
  2. Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi (Meshlicious mini-ITX case)
  3. Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (BeQuiet PureBase 500DX)
  4. Gigabyte B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen in NZXT H510i)
This means retiring the following systems soon:
  1. Gigabyte Z390 Designare (Phanteks Evolv X)
  2. Gigabyte Z390 Test Bench (open air test bench)
  3. Gigabyte Z690 Aero G (NZXT H510)
  4. Asus X99 Deluxe II (mid tower)

Last edited:
lol.. you have way too many computers. :)

My Z390 Designare is also something i will hang on until the end.. its my main music puter.. its been rock solid for the past 4 years... no slow downs on any of my projects

lol.. you have way too many computers. :)
First step in recovery is to admit I have a problem! :)

My Z390 Designare is also something i will hang on until the end...
This is the little engine that could. Together, we broke through so many walls with this system:
  • Figured out how to enable on-board HDMI port.
  • Enabled Thunderbolt Bus.
  • Decoded Thunderbolt DROM; figured out how to assign Bus IDs to different controllers; figured out how to compute CRC checksums.
  • Enabled AppleVTD without killing WiFi (by removing "Reserved Memory" regions in DMAR table).
  • Enabled use of Antelope's Thunderbolt-based audio interfaces.
  • Incorporated Apple's Thunderbolt NHI DXE into the PEI section of BIOS, which eliminates the need for externally-supplied DROM similar to all real Macs (BIOS generates DROM).
I may retire it, but I won't get rid of it.

First step in recovery is to admit I have a problem! :)

This is the little engine that could. Together, we broke through so many walls with this system:
  • Figured out how to enable on-board HDMI port.
  • Enabled Thunderbolt Bus.
  • Decoded Thunderbolt DROM; figured out how to assign Bus IDs to different controllers; figured out how to compute CRC checksums.
  • Enabled AppleVTD without killing WiFi (by removing "Reserved Memory" regions in DMAR table).
  • Enabled use of Antelope's Thunderbolt-based audio interfaces.
  • Incorporated Apple's Thunderbolt NHI DXE into the PEI section of BIOS, which eliminates the need for externally-supplied DROM similar to all real Macs (BIOS generates DROM).
I may retire it, but I won't get rid of it.
Which platform is your favorite, z390, z490, z690, b550?

Which platform is your favorite, z390, z490, z690, b550?
Z690 is my favorite for several reasons:
  • More PCIe lanes; hence fewer constraints on which slots and ports can and cannot be used in what combination.
  • Faster CPUs; After years of stagnation at 14nm++++++, Alder Lake represents a solid breakout.
  • Thunderbolt Bus activates on Asus Z590 and Z690 boards that have built-in Maple Ridge controllers by simply adding a simple SSDT (Big Sur only, however).
  • Ability to replace on-board Intel WiFi/BT module with Broadcom BCM94360NG.
  • Supports PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 add-in-cards even though there are hardly any PCIe 5.0 offerings at the moment.
  • BIOS contains DMAR table without any Reserved Memory Regions, hence we can enable AppleVTD without removing and replacing the default DMAR table.

Z690 is my favorite for several reasons:
  • More PCIe lanes; hence fewer constraints on which slots and ports can and cannot be used in what combination.
  • Faster CPUs; After years of stagnation at 14nm++++++, Alder Lake represents a solid breakout.
  • Thunderbolt Bus activates on Asus Z590 and Z690 boards that have built-in Maple Ridge controllers by simply adding a simple SSDT (Big Sur only, however).
  • Ability to replace on-board Intel WiFi/BT module with Broadcom BCM94360NG.
  • Supports PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 add-in-cards even though there are hardly any PCIe 5.0 offerings at the moment.
  • BIOS contains DMAR table without any Reserved Memory Regions, hence we can enable AppleVTD without removing and replacing the default DMAR table.
Yes I like z690. too. Competition from AMD coupled with Apple‘s exit seems to have forced Intel to wake up. Z690 is Refined, Alder Lake is the biggest launch in years with serious performance uplifts. just yesterday Intel announced the HX mobile series sku for mobile workstations and gaming laptops with up to 16 cores and 24 threads. Intel essentially took the desktop version of alder lake and thinned it down to fit in a mobile form factor. Brings PCIe 5 to mobile for the first time.

And I have much less issues than on z590. On my z590 box, for example, whenever I restart from macOS (say to install updates), the Thunderbolt bus is dead so I have to power cycle. My macOS disk is on a NVMe enclosure connected via Thunderbolt so as you can imagine it’s frustrating. On z690, no such issues It works as intended, and thunderbolt hot plug is working well with macOS unlike z590 gigabyte.

Looking forward to next gen AMD zen4 later this year as well as Intel Raptor Lake and then Meteor Lake. I wonder if macOS 13 will eventually gain support for next gen RDNA3 ? Only time will tell but overall I am happy to see both companies firing on all cylinders.

@dehjomz

With regard to Raptor Lake, if the main attraction is an increase in the number of E-Cores, then it’s a bit disappointing. On the M1 Pro and Max, Apple actually reduced the number of E-cores by half in order to increase the number of P-Cores.

Back