Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Has anyone tried to install Windows 11 and came up against ‘a media driver your computer needs is missing…’

I have checked the driver & tools tab but I haven’t a clue what driver I need to get past this error. I tried downloading Chipset and SATA drivers but no joy getting past it.

Frustrating as hell

That's normal and in accordance with DDR5 specifications for Alder Lake: At 2 DIMMs per channel, speed drops to 4000 or 3600 MHz, depending on the number of ranks.
DRAMADL_575px.png

In the server/workstation world, such memory complications come in droves: Skylake Xeon W-2100 cannot use DIMMs with 32 GB per rank (32 GB in several ranks is fine); Cascade Lake Xeon W-2200 drop from 2933 MHz to 2666 MHz at 2 DPC; Cascade Lake Xeon Scalable also drops from 2933 to 2666 when using Optane DCPMM, and cannot use 1Rx8 DIMMs in this mode (1Rx4, 2Rx4 and 2Rx8 are still fine).
It's good to see that the consumer world is catching up. Why make it simple when one can make it complicated? :mrgreen:
Spot on, I don’t mind providing that I haven’t done anything to reduce the performance, I’m really happy with how it is running

Has anyone tried to install Windows 11 and came up against ‘a media driver your computer needs is missing…’

I have checked the driver & tools tab but I haven’t a clue what driver I need to get past this error. I tried downloading Chipset and SATA drivers but no joy getting past it.

Frustrating as hell
Is this happening before Windows begins copying files from USB to the destination? Or does it occur in a later stage of installation?

Have you tried disconnecting all macOS disks?

@CaseySJ

Thanks for this great guide.

I am building a PC with almost the same spec and parts as the one listed in the guide
Exceptions: i9 12900K, Sapphire RX 590, Fenvi FV-T919

Should I update to the latest bios ver 1003 (2022/01/27) or should I stick to the "Version 0811" specified in the guide?

Thanks again,
djk
Hello @Krimson

That a tricky question. BIOS 0811 works well so 1003 is optional. You may try installing 1003, but be warned that it may be necessary to perform CMOS Reset if you get into a boot loop.

Before inst
Is this happening before Windows begins copying files from USB to the destination? Or does it occur in a later stage of installation?

Have you tried disconnecting all macOS disks?
Its happening before installation begins.

I’ve tried disconnecting all devices apart from the installer USB and the disk I want to install windows on.

I’ve tried multiple USB ports and also tried to find the drivers from Asus but they don’t want to work
74B3F252-38A3-4005-8941-9F50DE81E277.jpeg

Attachments

• C9D467EE-B365-4148-A399-E12FADD0510F.jpeg
    C9D467EE-B365-4148-A399-E12FADD0510F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
Before inst

I’ve tried disconnecting all devices apart from the installer USB and the disk I want to install windows on.

I’ve tried multiple USB ports and also tried to find the drivers from Asus but they don’t want to workView attachment 542447
Are you using on-board RAID or Optane? Is Intel Rapid Storage (RST) and/or Volume Management Device (VMD) enabled in BIOS?

Are you using on-board RAID or Optane? Is Intel Rapid Storage (RST) and/or Volume Management Device (VMD) enabled in BIOS?
I will need to check when I get home, my BIOS is pretty much set to optimised apart from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is turned off

Should those be on or off?

I will need to check when I get home, my BIOS is pretty much set to optimised apart from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is turned off

Should those be on or off?
We should disable them. I haven’t done a fresh Windows 11 install on this system, but on the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G the process was quite smooth.

Before inst

I’ve tried multiple USB ports and also tried to find the drivers from Asus but they don’t want to workView attachment 542447
Try installing the Intel Rapid Storage Driver software and the missing driver should go away.
You can get the driver either on the Asus mainboard support page under Driver&Tools or via the Amoury Crate software (if installed).

Try installing the Intel Rapid Storage Driver software and the missing driver should go away.
You can get the driver either on the Asus mainboard support page under Driver&Tools or via the Amoury Crate software (if installed).
I tried installing the Intel Rapid Storage Driver, it looks like it is installing then comes up with an error (see my screenshots a few posts up) I haven’t tried the armoury crate software though

Back