Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

** AppleALC 1.6.9 (Official) Now Includes Layout 13 for ALC-S1220A **
OpenCore 0.7.8 has been released along with a number of auxiliary kexts

Link
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 10.48.34 AM.png

Adobe Premiere update.
So after doing some testing this weekend, apparently there are many experiencing issues with the latest Adobe Premiere (21.1.2) and MacOS 12.2. Whether Adobe is acknowledging it yet is another story. I can confirm the issue exists on real Mac hardware. Luckily I was able to test on my z390 Hack which is still on 12.1 and the latest Premiere is running smooth as butter. I have also re-purposed my beta drive to re-install MacOS 12.1 on my Z690 machine and so far everything is running MUCH smoother as even basic projects were having issues on 12.2. Hopefully we'll have a fix from Adobe soon!

Adobe Premiere update.
So after doing some testing this weekend, apparently there are many experiencing issues with the latest Adobe Premiere (21.1.2) and MacOS 12.2. Whether Adobe is acknowledging it yet is another story. I can confirm the issue exists on real Mac hardware. Luckily I was able to test on my z390 Hack which is still on 12.1 and the latest Premiere is running smooth as butter. I have also re-purposed my beta drive to re-install MacOS 12.1 on my Z690 machine and so far everything is running MUCH smoother as even basic projects were having issues on 12.2. Hopefully we'll have a fix from Adobe soon!
Good to know this is not a Z690 issue, but an Adobe issue on 12.2.

Interesting. Curious to see if the same driver works. We can make this change, which is included in the modified aura_led.py attached.

View attachment 541421
So the driver does work for some of the dynamic commands, like rainbow, spectrum_cycle_wave, off. But other commands like breathing for example only work on one RGB channel (on the IO cover), but the channels go dark.

So the driver does work for some of the dynamic commands, like rainbow, spectrum_cycle_wave, off. But other commands like breathing for example only work on one RGB channel (on the IO cover), but the channels go dark.
The Asus Z690 Maximus Formula also has 1 AURA RGB header and 3 Addressable RGB headers.
  • If you can identify the color modes that work, I can modify the driver accordingly.
  • When you say other channels go dark, does that mean:
    • Some dynamic commands (rainbow, spectrum_cycle_wave) work on all channels
    • Other dynamic commands (breathing) work on one channel because other channels turn off
    • Static mode works okay on all channels and can set colors independently?
Regarding other channels turning off, please try this:
  • Uncomment these 3 lines by removing the leading # mark
  • Then see if breathing works without turning off other channels
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.54.57 PM.png

The Asus Z690 Maximus Formula also has 1 AURA RGB header and 3 Addressable RGB headers.
  • If you can identify the color modes that work, I can modify the driver accordingly.
  • When you say other channels go dark, does that mean:
    • Some dynamic commands (rainbow, spectrum_cycle_wave) work on all channels
    • Other dynamic commands (breathing) work on one channel because other channels turn off
    • Static mode works okay on all channels and can set colors independently?
Regarding other channels turning off, please try this:
  • Uncomment these 3 lines by removing the leading # mark
  • Then see if breathing works without turning off other channels
View attachment 541445
I will test later. Thanks so much!

However, I meant some commands like breathing for example, only work on one channel because the other ARGB channels turn off. Connected for the test are two RGB strips on two of the 3 addressable RGB headers.

** OpenCore 0.7.8 for Asus ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi Alder Lake **
Supports Big Sur and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Also available from the HackinDROM App

** NOTE **

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0 or next version and ensure that it's set to
0.7.8 Development Configuration or 0.7.8 Release Configuration

When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted​

Windows Users:
If you are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Monterey -- What Does Not Work:
  • Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle not working at this time.
  • If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.
    • This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it.
  • Crucial P2 NVMe SSDs (only P2 series) also suffer from trim issues in Monterey.

This Update Includes:
  • OpenCore 0.7.8
  • AppleALC 1.6.9 (officially supports Layout 13 for Asus ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi)
  • Lilu 1.6.0
  • WhateverGreen 1.5.7
  • RestrictEvents 1.0.7
This update also includes the following configuration changes:
  • Includes Marvell (Aquantia) 10GbE kernel patch v3 for Monterey 12.3 and newer. The correct kernel patch is automatically selected. When booting previous versions of macOS, patch v2 is applied automatically.
  • AppleALC layout ID changed from 8 to 13 in NVRAM boot arguments.
  • Includes new SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-AURA-LED.aml for those wishing to experiment with new Asus Aura LED driver for liquidctl, which is not yet officially released.

Caveat:
macOS does not recognize the difference between P-cores and E-cores. Tasks will be scheduled on both types of cores as if they were all the same type.

Your Tasks:
To use this EFI folder please make the following changes to config.plist.

Set ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0 if Resizable BAR Support is enabled in BIOS. System will boot to black screen if this is not set properly.
OCC - Booter - ResizeAppleGpuBars.png

Copy PlatformInfo credentials:
OCC - PlatformInfo.png

By default, a 15-port USB port map is selected. If you're using a different port map, select it from the list.
OCC - ACPI.png

To show proper CPU name in About this Mac, set the following string accordingly. By default it is set to 12-Core Intel i7-12700K.
OCC - NVRAM - RevCpuName.png

Specify your GPU Name:
OCC - Dev Prop - GPU.png

Specify your GPU name once more:
OCC - Dev Prop -GPU Audio.png

The Marvell (Aquantia) kernel patch section does not require any modifications. It looks like this:
OCC - Kernel - Patch.png

Updates:
  • 16 Feb 2022: Change prev-lang:kbd in NVRAM section to type DATA. This allows the macOS installer to start up properly! Thanks to @starghost1100 for pointing out this error.

Attachments

• EFI-078-ASUS-Z690-PROART-CREATOR-WIFI.zip
    44.5 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

In the process of updating to the latest EFI... does the Maple Ridge hot plug SSDT have any effect on patched Titan Ridge? I've had it disabled since I disabled Maple Ridge in BIOS. The SSDT from Hackindrom for Z690 Titan Ridge should include any hot plug capabilities for thunderbolt, correct?

@CaseySJ

In the process of updating to the latest EFI... does the Maple Ridge hot plug SSDT have any effect on patched Titan Ridge? I've had it disabled since I disabled Maple Ridge in BIOS.
Correct -- the Maple Ridge SSDT operates only on RP05, so it won't affect other root ports.

The SSDT from Hackindrom for Z690 Titan Ridge should include any hot plug capabilities for thunderbolt, correct?
Correct.

This has my full endorsement!

On motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt (i.e. Thunderbolt on PCH instead of PCI) we believe that Maple Ridge firmware resides in the BIOS chip instead of a dedicated flash ROM. We might be able to hack an Asus BIOS file, which is the expertise of @Elias64Fr. :)

But PCIe cards such as GC-Maple Ridge do have dedicated flash ROMs. The GC-Maple Ridge has the old familiar Winbond chip. Our attempts at modifying Maple Ridge firmware on these devices did not succeed.
@CaseySJ,

You're right, after seeing on last firmware ProArt Z690 Creator wifi 1003 version, I have found it on GUID EED54281-1C11-4358-BF5A-F64995FBF11B freeform (RAW data). :)

I have attached this file of this motherboard.

This Thunderbolt firmware GUID is used by 2 Drivers and one Application (all included on BIOS firmware) :
  • a driver with guid D312F13E-9D2A-4E53-89B7-F6E9A810C92A, which include the following string DevFwUpdatedDone
  • a driver with guid CCF23F50-F7C1-4F00-8E70-13643C37E8B0, which include the following strings :
BIOS is updating Thunderbolt Nvm firmware.
Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure.
TbtNvmDrvSetImage: Invalid arguments

Image write started:

Got a FATAL error, exiting...
ImageSize : 0x%05x
Written so far : 0x%05x bytes
Got a error at offset 0x%08x!!!!

Image write finished.

Got an error while writing the image. As a recovery, starting again

Image write wasn't successful due to a device error
Image was updated successfully and passed the authentication
  • an Application with GUID 5EDCCC1A-F4CA-42F4-8D3E-CA4C0B396BF7, which include the following strings :
Press any key to continue . . .
NVM.binCan't find NVM.bin.
Can't find %S.

* ASUS TbtNvmDrvShellUpdate tool V1.6 *
Support TBT module: Maple ridge
Support Platform: %s

Command: TbtNvmDrvShellUpdate.efi [Nvm.bin]

NVM file is not illegal,please check NVM file.

This file NVM version is %x.%x

This platform don't support Tbt NVM update so far
Please check BIOS version and contact Asus customer service

Please Unplug all device from Thunderbolt before update

Check file is valid and prepare for update, please wait a moment...

Can't get Thunderbolt device!! please make sure it work normally.
If you make sure it work normally, but it's still fail,
that mean this platform don't support Tbt NVM update so far.
Please check BIOS version and contact Asus customer service.

Current NVM is newer!! no need update.

Update fail!!
Please check file is valid or contact Asus customer service
Update done!!, please reset now

Attachments

• Asus_ProArt_Z690_Creator_Wifi_MAPLE_RIDGE_Thunderbolt_firmware.zip
    222.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back