Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello @starghost1100

Does the 1 minute boot delay occur with flashed TB3 card on the B660 Creator? If the Thunderbolt header is connected to motherboard, have you tried disconnecting the header cable and using a jumper wire to force-enable the TB3 card (connecting the top and middle pins of vertical 5-pin J1 header)?
Flashing the expansion board ThunderboltEX 3-tr gives the effect of a boot delay of 1 minute. I've tried unplugging the 14 pin connector from the board, but the only thing that seems to matter is that the expansion board is plugged into the slot on the motherboard and is transmitting that firmware information. I can't make a jumper for the 5-pin connector because there are 14 pins for connecting to the motherboard and 9 pins for USB.

If we send the included hack to sleep, and then bring it out, then the Thunderbolt board will disappear, and it will not be visible until the PC is completely disconnected from the power source. But before the power is turned off, in the absence of a visible Thunderbolt, there is no turn-on delay.

At the moment, I'm waiting for the case to assemble another build with the B660-creator and insert an unflashed ThunderboltEX 3-tr expansion board into it. Now it is not so important that the PC does not wait 1 minute before booting, it is important that the ThunderboltEX 3-tr works with hot plug.

I have 3 expansion boards ThunderboltEX 3-tr. One flashed and killed by the firmware. (It seems that this instance did not initially have ports working and its behavior differed from the flashed card that was used in the assembly with the B660-Creator.) I will probably need to flash it back and take it to the store under warranty.
The second and third are currently clean with no changes. I will try to flash one, and leave the other in stock. I would be helped by one more attempt to create the correct DSDT for my case board + expansion board.

12.4 beta seems to have resolved or at least addressed the Thunderbolt hot plug bug that arose in 12.2.x and 12.3.x. Hotplugging was working fine in Big Sur and 12.0.x and 12.1. With 12.4 beta, hot plugging seems to work again, which is welcome good news that Apple is making progress.

Last edited:
Benchmarks
These benchmarks are based on Mac Pro 7,1 with CPUFriend using frequency vectors from iMac Pro 1,1. Processor is Intel i7-12700K with 8 P-Cores and 4 E-Cores.

Performance Comparison.png

Cinebench R23 CPU Multi-Core: 22180 (all cores, all threads)
Cinebench R23 CPU Multi-Core: 18800 (P-cores and Hyper-Threads only)

SOLVED!!! - Turbo in bios was set to Auto. Needs to be enabled. Thanks for letting me harass you.

*Scratches head*

I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm in the 1400/13000 range on mine. Could I trouble you for a quick audit?

Could it possibly be the info in NVRAM-->Delete that I never added (I'm mobile until the morning). Thats silly but a thought.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.40.25 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI 080 2.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
@CaseySJ , would you recommend upgrading from the Z490 Vision D to this build? Will there be much gains in upgrading?

My hardware configuration is an exact match: Z690 ProArt, i7 12700k, Titan RX 6800 XT, Memory is 2 x 16 GB 6000 MHz G SKill, WDN Nvm2.4. The USB drive flashed it (as per step) with Monterey 12.3.1, OC 0.79 (Made changes), mac pro 7,1. i followed step by step per the guide by @CaseySJ incl bios setting and so on. When booting up it shows the Monterey installer. The installation starts with the apple bar and then this shows up on the screen. After which it remains there. I was super excited with the config. I tried installing windows on the build on a separate drive that works fine but cannot move beyone this.

Attachments

• IMG-3533.jpeg
    IMG-3533.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
My hardware configuration is an exact match: Z690 ProArt, i7 12700k, Titan RX 6800 XT, Memory is 2 x 16 GB 6000 MHz G SKill, WDN Nvm2.4. The USB drive flashed it (as per step) with Monterey 12.3.1, OC 0.79 (Made changes), mac pro 7,1. i followed step by step per the guide by @CaseySJ incl bios setting and so on. When booting up it shows the Monterey installer. The installation starts with the apple bar and then this shows up on the screen. After which it remains there. I was super excited with the config. I tried installing windows on the build on a separate drive that works fine but cannot move beyone this.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

The installation starts with the apple bar and then this shows up on the screen.
No keyboard has been detected and the image is reminding you that if you have a bluetooth keyboard then you should switch it on.

Try pressing the spacebar on your wired keyboard.
If this does not help then plug the keyboard into a different port and repeat.

macOS has a USB port limit of 15 unless you use the patch to disable the port limit so some of the USB ports will be disabled after the kernel loads. Ensure your USB peripherals like your mouse, keyboard, et al. are connected to a USB port that macOS has loaded.

Last edited:
Might try plugging keyboard/mouse into USB port right next to top Thunderbolt port.

Might try plugging keyboard/mouse into USB port right next to top Thunderbolt port.
Yes that fixed it. Leveraged the ones under Thunderbolt...Installation has started...So important not to miss that 1 step...Spent a whole day trying to crack this. Probably another hour before I complete. Thanks a ton @gandem & @dehjomz

I got it all installed, and it is now booting. I don't have an external Bluetooth card as recommended...Need to figure that one out

Last edited:
Back