Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

DDR5 is really meant to be operated with one DIMM per channel. Speed dropping with 4 modules is exactly according to specification. Nothing to complain about.

DDR5 is really meant to be operated with one DIMM per channel. Speed dropping with 4 modules is exactly according to specification. Nothing to complain about.
Hi Casey. there are some negative feedback about Asus z690 ProArt Creator on newegg. Like, Cons: There are some real issues with this board: - Most importantly, XMP does NOT work when using 4 DDR5 chips. It works with 2, but not 4. If you have 4 RAM sticks installed and turn XMP on, the board won't POST. This has been verified by some YouTube reviews as well. - It can be very slow to post after making BIOS changes. Still haven't figured out why, but it takes long enough that you think you made it unable to POST but then it ultimately does after a very long wait. - Drivers... ugh. I have installed Win11 and then installed the associated drivers multiple different ways, and each way results in unknown PCI and SMB Bus showing up as unsupported in Device Manager. I've tried everything to resolve this, and nothing has fixed it. I have no idea what components are missing drivers - but I've installed every driver from Asus' website as well as Intel's Driver Update and nothing fixes this. VERY annoying.
or:
Bad luck purchase..! As with encountering, Dead RAM Slots, Audio Out Issues, (Asus Drivers?) Shoddy Construction (Be Extra Gentle with GPU Card Release Button, Very Fragile

Can they be true? Did you experience similar issues in your build?​

I have Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and also the same problem with 4 modules. XMP does not work. With 2 modules there is no problem.

I have Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and also the same problem with 4 modules. XMP does not work. With 2 modules there is no problem.

@ori69 @Cavid72

I've been having similar problems with my Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard and I discovered this when I updated my BIOS. It happens every time I update the BIOS. I have 4X 16 GB DDR4 3600.

The work around for my situation is as follows:

After the update, I reconfigure the BIOS settings, including setting XMP to Profile 1, BUT I manually configure the speed to much lower, ie., 2400. Then reboot. If it doesn't load successfully, I have to reset the CMOS, unplug the power, reseat the RAM sticks, then try a lower speed. As soon as I find the lowest speed, I reboot, set the speed a bit higher, eg 2666, then reboot. If it fails, then I do the CMOS reset, RAM reseat all over again. Eventually through this iterative process, I can get back up to 3600 and it is stable.

I have no idea why it works, but it works.

I find that if I make too big of a step up in speed, it will not POST and I have to start all over again. The secret is to boost the speed in small steps.

Vendor 0x1002
Device 0x73AF

Hope this is what you were looking for. Thank you
Yes this is what I wanted to see. Device 0x73AF is not supported by macOS, but fortunately we can spoof it to device 0x73BF instead. This is done by adding a Device Property to config.plist for the GPU, as shown here:
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 3.16.48 PM.png

Note that the device ID is specified in reverse byte order, hence BF73.

Yes this is what I wanted to see. Device 0x73AF is not supported by macOS, but fortunately we can spoof it to device 0x73BF instead. This is done by adding a Device Property to config.plist for the GPU, as shown here:
View attachment 545303

@CaseySJ -- I think to spoof the XTXH cards, we need to name the bridge in the ACPI path with an SSDT? This is the method that we've been using here

View attachment 545303
Hi Casey, I tried that but did not work for some reason. Can you please check my config.plist and see if everything is ok. I even added BRG0 in the ACPI folder but to no avail. Thanks again

Attachments

• config.plist
    38.2 KB · Views: 28
  • SSDT-BRG0.aml
    108 bytes · Views: 26
Hi Casey, I tried that but did not work for some reason. Can you please check my config.plist and see if everything is ok. I even added BRG0 in the ACPI folder but to no avail. Thanks again

@steve20677 - The BRG0 file needs to be specific to your motherboard. The one that is included with OpenCore is for Gigabyte mobo's and it looks like you have an Asus.

If you post a screenshot of your IORegistryExplorer, searching for GFX0, we can help you make a custom SSDT that will work with your system.

We need a screenshot like Ioregistry.png picture in this post.

A new BIOS 1403 has dropped for the Asus Z690 models.

@steve20677 - The BRG0 file needs to be specific to your motherboard. The one that is included with OpenCore is for Gigabyte mobo's and it looks like you have an Asus.

If you post a screenshot of your IORegistryExplorer, searching for GFX0, we can help you make a custom SSDT that will work with your system.

We need a screenshot like Ioregistry.png picture in this post.
Thanks tedyun, hope the attached files and EFI are enough

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.53.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.53.36 PM.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.22.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.22.13 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 31
  • EFI.zip
    44.7 MB · Views: 33
Back