Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

UPDATE:
I have updated to 9901 with a regular BIOS update procedure. It successfully changed my NVM version to NVM31. After being able to boot up and reloading my BIOS profile. Thunderbolt 2 works again, and Thunderbolt control center shows that NVM31 is my current version. I wonder if It would be a good idea update to BIOS 2103
This is really good news. By the way, Asus website clearly points out lack of TB1/TB2 support with BIOS 2204. So BIOS 2103 is the last compatible version.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 11.29.45 AM.png

I have updated to 9901 with a regular bios update procedure. it succesfully changed my nvm version to nvm31. After being able to boot up and reloading my bios profile. Thunderbolt 2 works again and Thunderbolt control center shows that nvm31 is my current version. I wonder if It would be a good idea update to bios 2103.
If you're confident that you can revert to 9901 and you're willing to try 2103, you're very welcome to be a guinea pig and try.

Asus deserves credit for clearly indicating the Thunderbolt issue, and for having provided custom BIOS 9901 upon request. Users remain responsible for carefully reading the fine prints, and assessing whether there is a reason to upgrade BIOS in the first place—if the system works the default answer is "no".

It's still unclear to me if I can down/up-grade from 2103 to this 9901 BIOS version with normal methods (EZ-Flash or similar)?

Other more general question is: the update of ME/BIOS involves the adoption of Rocket-Lake CPUs (in substitution of Alder-Lake one) regarding the stability of the system?
I want to give this a shot. I just realized I am actually in 2204 and my Thunderbolt controller is in NVM36. This Thunderbolt update gave me tb hotplug support for my audio interface, and I was so happy. I didn't realize it would disable Thunderbolt 2 support.

UPDATE:
I have updated to 9901 with a regular BIOS update procedure. It successfully changed my NVM version to NVM31. After being able to boot up and reloading my BIOS profile. Thunderbolt 2 works again, and Thunderbolt control center shows that NVM31 is my current version. I wonder if It would be a good idea update to BIOS 2103.

The BIOS version that is regression locked on DDR5 motherboards is 2305 at the moment. So if you have 2103 or before, if you install 2204 or 2305, they will also update your thunderbolt firmware to NVM36.

9901 exists because many z690 Thunderbolt users (incl me) complained to Asus. At first they said it was impossible to downgrade the NVM, but they eventually released a special BIOS to allow a Tthunderbolt NVM downgrade. If you are on 2204, you can install 9901 as bridge BIOS, it will rollback your Thunderbolt NVM from 36 to 31. And then you can either stay on 9901 or install 2103.

However, if you install 2305 on a DDR5 motherboard (say you were on 2103 and you install 2305), you're F'd. It will update your NVM to 36, and you're stuck, you cannot install 9901, you cannot go back. And NVM36 is bugged out.

Since Asus knows that NVM36 is bugged out, it is puzzling why they released 2305 with NVM36 with no ability to install 9901...

If you're confident that you can revert to 9901 and you're willing to try 2103, you're very welcome to be a guinea pig and try.

Asus deserves credit for credit for clearly indicating the Thunderbolt issue, and for having provided custom BIOS 9901 upon request. Users remain responsible for carefully reading the fine prints, and assessing whether there is a reason to upgrade BIOS in the first place—if the system works the default answer is "no".
There was no such fine print in Dec. 2022 when 2204 was released! It's not until months of issues that they finally updated the website. And yet they released 2305 with the same known buggy NVM36, with no mention of the known issues with NVM36, and no mention that 2305 is regression locked on DDR5 motherboards, so it is a one way ticket to chaos.

Last edited:
I wonder if It would be a good idea update to BIOS 2103.
With 2103 installed, you can still reverse to 9901. However, note that you can NEVER downgrade your ME without an SPI flasher. Asus suggests to update to ME 16.1.25.1885 with BIOS 2103, and the corresponding ME to 9901&1720 is 16.0.15.1735.

Actually, I wonder if you have already updated your ME to the latest 16.1.25.2020 (corresponding to both 2204 and 2305). Asus requires to update ME seperately (not included in BIOS update, although ME part is actually included in BIOS image). You can check your current ME version in BIOS.

Asus deserves credit for clearly indicating the Thunderbolt issue, and for having provided custom BIOS 9901 upon request. Users remain responsible for carefully reading the fine prints, and assessing whether there is a reason to upgrade BIOS in the first place—if the system works the default answer is "no".
I totally get that, I really wanted to upgrade to 2204 at the time due to the thunderbolt hotplug support. I have a thunderbolt 2 device I rarely use and didnt care for it. it's just a nice to have if I can get both thunderbolt 3 and 2 supported properly.

With 2103 installed, you can still reverse to 9901. However, note that you can NEVER downgrade your ME without an SPI flasher. Asus suggests to update to ME 16.1.25.1885 with BIOS 2103, and the corresponding ME to 9901&1720 is 16.0.15.1735.

Actually, I wonder if you have already updated your ME to the latest 16.1.25.2020 (corresponding to both 2204 and 2305). Asus requires to update ME seperately (not included in BIOS update, although ME part is actually included in BIOS image). You can check your current ME version in BIOS.
I have the latest ME from 2204 and am running with 9901. I honestly haven't seen any issues, my mac, windows and linux drives all boot up just fine. thunderbolt work well, performance seems identical except booting times are a little slower. I get some hangups with a dark screen before bootup. I'm yet to upgrade to 2103. I will post my results then.

I don't know why but I have a some weird situation:

IMG_1693.jpg

I remember quite well that I updated the ME under Windows 10 but for soma strange reason it didn't work for me. I'm still on ME v. 16.0.15.1620 even if I have v. 2103 of BIOS.

May it be the culprit of some instability of the system I've had lately?

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Just updated from Bios 9901, I was using the latest ME version 16.1.25.2020 with no real setbacks to my configuration besides boot times. I am now running BIOS Version 2103 with the same ME and everything booted much faster. I still have my Thunderbolt 2 and 3 devices working as expected. Since Downgrading my Thunderbolt controller to NVM31, I did loose Thunderbolt hot plug support. But its not as big of a deal as losing Thunderbolt 2 support.

If anyone is in the same situation, I didn't struggle at all to make these changes coming down from BIOS 2204 to 9901 and the 2103. I will post if I see any issues regarding performance or instability

If anyone is aware of any possible downsides of having a mismatched ME version and BIOS version, please let me know.

Last edited:
Hey all, random question inspired by the Designer thread:

Since we're using "RestrictEvents.kext," is 3842 the correct decimal for 13700k (for the Processor field in Platform info)? I'm assuming 'yes' as it's still an i7 8-core (like 12700), and I'm totally functional. But the real question is what would the hex be for 13900k?

I've looked into the Applesmbios.h on GitHub and dang if I can find even 0F02 (3842).

Thanks in advance!
J

Last edited:
Back