Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

PS: on the ProArt's manual there are TWO PLED indicated, which one are you using?
I believe I was using the wide connector that has + and - pins side-by-side in a single plastic housing.

The Amazon PrimeTV app works just fine on my Asus Z690-i Gaming WiFi under Monterey.

Some questions:
  • Do you mean MacPro7,1 (not iMacPro7,1)?
  • There is no 10GbE network on this board; are you referring to Asus ROG Strix Z690-i or Asus ProArt Z690-WiFI?
SOLVED, turned I use DP (macOS) to HDMI (monitor) port cable which broke signal HDCP signal protection. Replace with normal HDMI cable and it works.

Yes, sorry, some confusion, MacPro7,1. I was referring to ROG Strix which doesn't have the 10Gig card. Here is my config.plist, what could I've done differently to get it working?

Thanks

Attachments

• config.plist
    38 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Anyone experienced a broken intermittent sound on Bluetooth devices (Apple AirPods i.e.)?
I have the Broadcom BCM94360CD PCI-Ex 1x card (Fenvi T919) in the last PCI-Ex 16x slot and all the other BT connected devices are working perfectly: mouse, keyboard, and also Handoff and Continuity are working perfectly.

The Amazon PrimeTV app works just fine on my Asus Z690-i Gaming WiFi under Monterey.

Some questions:
  • Do you mean MacPro7,1 (not iMacPro7,1)?
  • There is no 10GbE network on this board; are you referring to Asus ROG Strix Z690-i or Asus ProArt Z690-WiFI?
I use iMac20,1, which is based on a CPU with an iGPU, but as we know the iGPU on Alder Lake isn't working in macOS. Is DRM working for you out of the box without the need to do 'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes' ?? For me, Safari isn't loading Amazon Prime or Netflix or even Apple TV. But everything works in Chrome... I'm tempted to try out MacPro7,1

I use iMac20,1, which is based on a CPU with an iGPU, but as we know the iGPU on Alder Lake isn't working in macOS. Is DRM working for you out of the box without the need to do 'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes' ?? For me, Safari isn't loading Amazon Prime or Netflix or even Apple TV. But everything works in Chrome... I'm tempted to try out MacPro7,1
With MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 we get DRM support without needing the defaults write operation. Specifically:
  • tv+ content in tv app works
  • DRM content in music works
  • Netflix in Safari works
  • PrimeTV app works

On my particular board, I was never able to upgrade BIOS without running into a boot loop. Other than that, the board was solid. Not sure what the root cause is, but here's the latest status on the repair:

View attachment 549623
Received an update on my RMA today.
  • Seems that a particular part will be replaced. There's no mention or description of the faulty part.
  • Replacement part will arrive July 1.
  • Warranty will be extended by 3 months.
Thoughts:
  • I believe in repair versus wholesale replacement; why waste a perfectly good board if just one part fails?
  • I am curious to know what the faulty part is; will see if they are willing to provide that information.
  • I am curious to know why this part failed; is it a systemic issue with the part, a random manufacturing defect, or what? I wouldn't want the board to fail again.
  • Total turnaround time will be over a month. That's a long time for someone who might not have a second system, but fortunately the delay does not really bother me.
Please be aware that overseas shipments for some repair part orders are currently on hold, which may result in delays to our standard product repair times. If you are receiving this email, it means that your RMA has been impacted by this unforeseen delay. Below is more information about the status of the pending part and when we shall expect to receive.

RMA#: -------
Serial #: -------
Part ETA:2022/07/01

We are sorry for any inconvenience that may result from this issue. ASUS will be extending the warranty on your unit by an additional 3 months from its current warranty end date as a thank you for your patience and understanding.

Please rest assured that we will work diligently to resolve the issues you reported with your device and return your unit to you as quickly as possible!

With MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 we get DRM support without needing the defaults write operation. Specifically:
  • tv+ content in tv app works
  • DRM content in music works
  • Netflix in Safari works
  • PrimeTV app works
I'm going to test this later. I believe your EFI uses iMacPro? And the corresponding CPUFriend frequency vectors? If I wanted to use MacPro7,1, what frequency vectors should I use?
  • Seems that a particular part will be replaced. There's no mention or description of the faulty part.
Thoughts:
  • I believe in repair versus wholesale replacement; why waste a perfectly good board if just one part fails?
  • I am curious to know what the faulty part is; will see if they are willing to provide that information.
  • I am curious to know why this part failed; is it a systemic issue with the part, a random manufacturing defect, or what? I wouldn't want the board to fail again.
  • Total turnaround time will be over a month. That's a long time for someone who might not have a second system, but fortunately the delay does not really bother me.
I hope you get it back soon. Those are very good questions hopefully they provide with answers so you get some insight into the problem. A BIOS update is a very common thing to do, especially for new Intel microcode that may address vulnerabilities or tune performance, or other bug fixes, or in the case of upcoming Raptor Lake, add CPU support when a new CPU is available. I've noticed that Asus' BIOS updates have addressed some tb4 bugs I was seeing... I have a TB4 dock that would not wake up from sleep if the 'DTBT Go2Sx Command' was enabled. But 1505 has apparently addressed this issue.

But a BIOS update should not cause boot loop issues. I hope they address it.

Last edited:
Thoughts:
Typical RMA Asus to End User conversation. "Your motherboard has been found to be defective and will be replaced under warranty. We will be repairing or replacing the board at our discretion and turn around times are typically 2 to 4 weeks"

Typical End User Response. "&$%*&....4 weeks??? What am I supposed to do in the meantime without my desktop?"

CaseySJ Response "That's fine, I have 14 other systems I can use, thank you for the update"

@dehjomz

I’m using MacPro7,1 with the CPUFriend vectors from iMacPro1,1. Works just fine.

Back