Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I had a similar experience as Casey, three different boards no issues. Max temps typically around 80 under high stress
There's a bunch of stuff on the internet -- and I believe everything I read :lol: so if YOU all care to read:

80c is probably pretty typical, and not indicative of much of an issue, but who knows? Could washers (or the Thermalright, or a custom metal base) give you lower temps? I'm just wanting to address the (supposed) issue from the start before it becomes a problem.

Intel has admitted to the issue (partly) FWIW.

Thanks all,
J

There's a bunch of stuff on the internet -- and I believe everything I read :lol: so if YOU all care to read:

80c is probably pretty typical, and not indicative of much of an issue, but who knows? Could washers (or the Thermalright, or a custom metal base) give you lower temps? I'm just wanting to address the (supposed) issue from the start before it becomes a problem.

Intel has admitted to the issue (partly) FWIW.

Thanks all,
J
There are reinforcing brackets being made that I would use before trying washers. I don’t know how available any of them are at this point and I don’t know if they are universally compatible. You’d think so but best not to assume and end up with some rectangular paper weight.

There are reinforcing brackets being made that I would use before trying washers. I don’t know how available any of them are at this point and I don’t know if they are universally compatible. You’d think so but best not to assume and end up with some rectangular paper weight.
yeah still not widely available yet from what I'm finding

Fascinating, thank you!
I’m curious, ‘though, what are your max temps?
Best,
J
In most cases the temps hover between 20C and 30C. But during peak loads (which happens only occasionally) I've seen 50C to 55C. This is on the i5-12600K with a Lian-Li 240mm liquid all-in-one cooler. I believe my i7-12700K has shown approximately the same behavior, but it is cooled with an Arctic 280mm liquid all-in-one.

Monterey 12.5 Public Beta 1 is now available. Not sure what's new, but it installs and runs fine.
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 1.54.43 PM.png

Hi all, just reading through this thread, great work, just trying to confirm if this will work on the Z690 Formula, I note some conversations with @dehjomz who looks to be using that board too, is there much of a change required or can someone point me to a Formula specific thread, all searches seem to point me to this one? Cheers

Hi all, just reading through this thread, great work, just trying to confirm if this will work on the Z690 Formula, I note some conversations with @dehjomz who looks to be using that board too, is there much of a change required or can someone point me to a Formula specific thread, all searches seem to point me to this one? Cheers
We’ll just need to remap the USB ports and possibly modify one or more DeviceProperty PCI paths.

We’ll just need to remap the USB ports and possibly modify one or more DeviceProperty PCI paths.
Awesome, I'll give it a go over the weekend, had a flood in my apartment last year and lost my z490 build and have not tried the Z690 just yet as there was no real starting point for the formula. Looking forward to getting this up and running.

Monterey 12.5 Public Beta 1 is now available. Not sure what's new, but it installs and runs fine.
View attachment 547914
Hello CaseySJ,

On the attached picture, GPU is AMD RX 6600XT. Somewhere I read that this GPU is natively supported on Monterey. Does this AMD RX 6600XT GPU require Boot Argument agdpmod=pikera. Once I also came across a Youtube video showing that this GPU does not need this boot argument.

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G with RX6800XT and 12700K. Is there much benefit in getting the Z690 Pro Art and DDR5? other then having Thunderbolt 4

Back