Contribute
Register

Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi w/ Thunderbolt 4 Hot Plug - i7-11700K Rocket Lake - 6800 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a cleaner version,

Hi, is this thread just on the Asus Z590-I, or have you transitioned the thread to Asus Z690-I ? I'm interested in a build on the ASUS Z690-I Gaming WiFi. Should I be following this thread, or another, and if so which? Should my build just follow the huge CaseySJ's Intel Alder Lake thread?

If this thread is now on the Z690, are you still on an MacPro7,1 model and would you recommend that?

Hi, is this thread just on the Asus Z590-I, or have you transitioned the thread to Asus Z690-I ? I'm interested in a build on the ASUS Z690-I Gaming WiFi. Should I be following this thread, or another, and if so which? Should my build just follow the huge CaseySJ's Intel Alder Lake thread?

If this thread is now on the Z690, are you still on an MacPro7,1 model and would you recommend that?
Hey @tecemac, this thread got a little hijacked. Its really for the Z590i but more recent posts have to do with the Z690i Gaming Wifi board. I have been following CaseySJ's thread and got the beginning of my EFI from there. Yes I recommend using MacPro7,1.

Hi,
I have made a build very similar to this but I am having some strange issues.

My parts
Asus z590i
Intel i7 11700k
Gigabyte Radeon 6900XT
GSkill trident 3200Mhz ram (32gb)
Samsung 970evo (macOS)
Samaung 980Evo pro (win10)
850w PSU

I have not replaced the wifi/BT card yet as im waiting for it to be shipped.

I have installed Big Sur and I used the EFI directly from here. I added my serial information and changed the scan policy so i could see all boot partitions.

when i load up macOS (it loads up fine) My PC restarts usually within 5 minutes and depending on that devices i have plugged in it might happen faster.

I have tried rebuilding the Config.plist file and removing unnecessary drivers from the efi folder, but the issue persists. I have been working on this for about 48 hours and i have no idea what the issue could be. I was starting to think i got a bad board, but the windows side works without any issues.

EDIT: I attached my EFI folder

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi,
I have made a build very similar to this but I am having some strange issues.

My parts
Asus z590i
Intel i7 11700k
Gigabyte Radeon 6900XT
GSkill trident 3200Mhz ram (32gb)
Samsung 970evo (macOS)
Samaung 980Evo pro (win10)
850w PSU

I have not replaced the wifi/BT card yet as im waiting for it to be shipped.

I have installed Big Sur and I used the EFI directly from here. I added my serial information and changed the scan policy so i could see all boot partitions.

when i load up macOS (it loads up fine) My PC restarts usually within 5 minutes and depending on that devices i have plugged in it might happen faster.

I have tried rebuilding the Config.plist file and removing unnecessary drivers from the efi folder, but the issue persists. I have been working on this for a about 48 hours and i have no idea what the issue could be. I was starting to think i got a bad board, but the windows side works without any issues.
If you have no issues in Windows it's not a hardware issue . Did you overclock the RAM using XMP memory profiles or change memory timings? Have you checked your system temperatures running wither OS? Make sure your bios are correct too, load the optimized settings in the boot menu and then adjust per the first post.

Just a quick note, and not necessarily related to your restart issues, the 970EVO Nvme drive you are using eventually will begin to take longer and longer to boot due to an incompatibility with that model drive and how OSx performs trim commands. You can supposedly have data issues too and outright kill the drive reportedly. I would replace it when you can, the 980 you have shares the same issues (I've used both but not anymore). See the link below. I've switched over to Western Digital SN770 and SN750 models and had no issues.

If you have no issues in Windows it's not a hardware issue . Did you overclock the RAM using XMP memory profiles or change memory timings? Have you checked your system temperatures running wither OS? Make sure your bios are correct too, load the optimized settings in the boot menu and then adjust per the first post.

Just a quick note, and not necessarily related to your restart issues, the 970EVO Nvme drive you are using eventually will begin to take longer and longer to boot due to an incompatibility with that model drive and how OSx performs trim commands. You can supposedly have data issues too and outright kill the drive reportedly. I would replace it when you can, the 980 you have shares the same issues (I've used both but not anymore). See the link below. I've switched over to Western Digital SN770 and SN750 models and had no issues.

Thanks for the your response, i did load optimized defaults and reapply all the settings from the first post. at one point i did load the XMP profile for my ram but I disabled it while trying to troubleshoot the restarts. look over the bios again, and I will get a different NVMe for MacOS. would the issue with the 980 affect macOS since Win10 is installed, essentially i dont use the 980 for macOS just windows? (i can still return the 970...cant return the 980 tho)

Thanks!

Thanks for the your response, i did load optimized defaults and reapply all the settings from the first post. at one point i did load the XMP profile for my ram but I disabled it while trying to troubleshoot the restarts. look over the bios again, and I will get a different NVMe for MacOS. would the issue with the 980 affect macOS since Win10 is installed, essentially i dont use the 980 for macOS just windows? (i can still return the 970...cant return the 980 tho)

Thanks!
The 980 won’t affect performance in OSx

Ok so I’m back again after trying a few things I’m still having this issue. I went back and double checked my bios settings, updated the bios on the board. I even went back to the original EFI that you uploaded…and somehow it seems the issue got worse…when I boot my system crashes and reboots within about 2 minutes. I’m at a loss now and don’t know what else to try.
I guess I’ll keep researching to see if I can find some other answers

Ok so I’m back again after trying a few things I’m still having this issue. I went back and double checked my bios settings, updated the bios on the board. I even went back to the original EFI that you uploaded…and somehow it seems the issue got worse…when I boot my system crashes and reboots within about 2 minutes. I’m at a loss now and don’t know what else to try.
It's unusual for this to be happening in Big Sur, if you were using Monterey I'd say it was because of the Ethernet I225V issue. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-network-intel-i225-in-12-0-1.316528/

Its possible an update to Big Sur is causing the same instabilities, nothing I've read about but try disabling the ethernet port in the bios and see if the issue persists and report back

so i figured it out...it was the ethernet. i found a post around here that talks about the I225V being pretty much hit or miss...but also a post on another forum stating that I225V is natively supported. idk for sure but i got it to work.

i had to edit the config.plist that you provided and removed the DeviceProperties entry for the ethernet and i added a boot arg for dk.e1000=0

here are the posts i found that talks about it:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...5gbe-controller-stopped-working.313203/page-5

Thanks for all your work and your help.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try this version, I stripped out everything that isn't essential. No Thunderbolt support and no ethernet either but both can be added back in. Kexts and OpenCore have been updated as well. Copy it to a USB drive and and boot from it, wouldn't hurt to reset Nvram as well, hit the space bar at the OpenCore menu of you don't see it.

Attachments

• AsusZ590i OC7.9.EFI.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back