Contribute
Register

Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi w/ Thunderbolt 4 Hot Plug - i7-11700K Rocket Lake - 6800 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Leesureone @CaseySJ

Maybe I wasn't lucky with the Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi. But I wasn't able to get Thunderbolt working properly.

I was once able to Hotplug my TB-SSD. And then macOS crashed. And since then I couldn't get it working again.

And I could never get my Razer Core X with the W5500 running. So macOS was only booting in the mode where the CPU is generating the graphics.

Even in Windows it doesn't get detected.

And I tried everything. Several BIOS versions, Enable/Disable Native OS Security, Enable/Disable Force GPIO Power, Enable/Disable the TB-SSDTS, different TB-SSDTs...nothing worked.

Even in Windows with the Windows Boot Manager I have TB-issues now. My TB-SSD is not detected anymore.

So I will switch back to my Z590i Vision D tomorrow. At least Thunderbolt was working when the devices where plugged in before turning on the PC. Even daisy chaining TB devices and attaching the eGPU behind my OWC TB4-Dock worked. The only caveat with the Vision D is, that you don't have Hotplug. But at least TB is working with all my TB devices (TB SSD, OWC TB4 Dock and Razer Core X eGPU Case).

Best,
Chris

That's got to be disappointing, Thunderbolt always worked for me on cold boot with devices plugged in. It was just getting hot plug working that was the fight.

Can you maybe share screenshots of all your BIOS pages? Especially subpages in the Thunderbolt settings. That would be very nice. Maybe it is something in there. But I think I kind of grilled the TB controller. Because it is stuck in „no security“ mode when I open the Windows Thunderbolt settings.

Can you maybe share screenshots of all your BIOS pages? Especially subpages in the Thunderbolt settings. That would be very nice. Maybe it is something in there. But I think I kind of grilled the TB controller. Because it is stuck in „no security“ mode when I open the Windows Thunderbolt settings.
Of course, here are several but most settings are typical and I'm sure you are familiar with them.

220101233135.png
220101233149.png
220101233203.png
220101233212.png
220101233234.png
220101233246.png
220101233246.png

I had issues on an MSI board that Thunderbolt would drop out after doing updates and could not figure out why, turned out resetting the NVRAM was the issue.

Thanks for the screenshots . Appreciate your help.

How did you resolve the NVRAM reset issue?

I just meant to get Thunderbolt back up and running on either OS it took an NVRAM reset. I don’t remember having that be an issue with this board, just throwing it out there

Just confirming you are using the port closest to the wifi antenna connectors and not the USBc port???
Untitled 4.png

:D Yes. But I have to admit, at first I was thinking both USBC are Thunderbolt. Because I was also thinking about buying the Z690 version of it, which has two Thunderbolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back