Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tommyhollander
What shilooh said.

I wouldn't describe things like getting to the boot screen as an issue, in most cases its just boot flags you have to test by trial and error. It can take some time to figure out what boot flags you need to boot sucessfully. Once you have made it into the os, or to the installer, everything should be fine. Once installed, change your org.chameleon.boot.plist file according to your typed boot flags, either manually with textedit or use the chameleon wizard and you're up and running.

You'll find the most common boot flags here in this thread or as a big summary in the tonymac wiki.

No need to wait..... All your hardware doesn't need to match.
I wouldn't describe things like getting to the boot screen as an issue, in most cases its just boot flags you have to test by trial and error.

Thanks both! The thing is, I don't have the hardware yet, so it is hard for me to imagine what issues I will encounter, and how hard it will be to solve.. I don't mind to spend time, but do want it to work
After yours and shilohh comment, I thought to go for it! But then again I found this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-c...page-iv-extreme-hackintosh-2-630-3-570-a.html

They have the same mobo and i7 4930K and still have no success. Will it work with Uni- /multibeast, or do I have to find an other solution?

I'm thinking a pair of 280s might caus all native kexts to load and work.
That sounds good, but I don't prefer to be the first (early adapter), and don't want to wait much longer. I thought there is more experience and support with the GTX 770 (4GB). Or are there disadvantages I might not be aware of? For example, In case I want to add a second GTX 770 in the future, that's possible right ? And CUDA will stay supported, I hope, as the Imac still has the GTX 775/ 780.

if I were building today, I'd buy a 4930K and it would be a tough choices between the R4E and a P9X79-E WS.

I searched a lot, but didn't find advantages (for me) to go for the R4E instead of the P9X79 Pro
http://motherboard.findthebest.com/compare/430-501/ASUS-P9X79-PRO-vs-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme

But again, maybe I'm not aware of other things, so to be safe (and have better luck with OSX 10.9) I'll go R4E.

So this is what I'm about to purchase. a final check would be really appreciated a lot.
(if I need to post it in buying advice, let me know, and I'll remove it here)

Intel Core i7 4930K (3,4GHz) (not overclocked to start with)
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
MSI GEFORCE GTX770 4Gb
Samsung SSD 840 Series Pro 256GB (OSX)
Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x8GB DDR3 1866 C or 2133 ( Black) Though I read many Asus boards here have G Skill memory, is that better?)

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 / OR Scythe SCMG-3PCGH Mugen 3 Rev.B PCGH
Noctua NF-P12, 120mm (the store that will build it, will give advice for more fans if neccesary)

DO I need? TP-LINK WLAN Adapter TL-WDN4800 450Mbps PCI-E
LG Blu-ray Writer BH16NS40
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl USB 3.0
Seasonic X Platinum PSU 760W 760-XP

Already own in my current mac pro
- Lacie eSATAII (3GBS) PCI-express card (2 ports)
Belkin Firewire 400, 3 port PCI Express Card
2 x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda
Samsung Pro SSD 256 GB

MANY THANKS!

Hi,

I am building my new hackintosh, but I am having some issues to put the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011, with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 , and 3970x processor.

I have to put the socket 2011 in the motherboard back part, but later the Noctua its not possible to connect to it, checking the photos upload of this thread shows a different part that I have not got, find attached the

Should I buy this part?

Helppp!! :oops:
thanks...

photo. Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 4.59.17 PM.jpg

@ tommy
I've heard that new revisions of 780 and Titan have broken OpenCL in OS X till nvidia releases a driver fix. Not sure if it applies to the 770 as well but I'd look into it. Afaik there are users with 280 having great success but you should look into it for yourself as well. Not trying to push you to AMD but the OS X support should be unparalleled. Btw I love my nvidia cards!!!

I've heard that new revisions of 780 and Titan have broken
@shilohh
I know the new 780's don't work (only older ones) that's why I would go for the GTX 770 (it works OOB). I also wrote something (refering to another website) but that was removed (So I think that was not allowed)

I sincerely would appreciate a final 'check' on what I wrote below. If you don't have the time, I understand.
Thanks!

@shilohh
I know the new 780's don't work (only older ones) that's why I would go for the GTX 770 (it works OOB). I also wrote something (refering to another website) but that was removed (So I think that was not allowed)

I sincerely would appreciate a final 'check' on what I wrote below. If you don't have the time, I understand.
Thanks!
Everything looks ok but I can't say for sure without owning it all. Love my gSkill mem. I will say that you'll have better luck buying your memory in one matched kit than starting with 16 now and trying to add another 16 later, if that was what you were planning. If you think you'll want more later, buy it all now in 1 matched kit. This has been recommend on Asus's rog forum.

In the thread you linked to, the users needed a patched kernel for that version of OS X. I think this is solved in 10.9.1 but I've heard for sure in 10.9.2. They added support for new IB-E CPUs with the release of the 2013 Mac Pro. Until 10.9.2 is released you may need to use a patched kernel or the 10.9.1 update for the 2013 Mac Pro might update the kernel but I'm not sure. Either way, there is a fix. Was it you who posted on rampage's site as tommy? If so, his stuff works and I think he may have included the patched kernel in one of his releases.

@ jenue
mine came with everything. You should contact the merchant and inform them that you are missing the hardware.

Hi shilohh, did you change the socket that cames in the motherboard for the one calls xsocket 2011?

thanks a lot!

Asus-X79-Motheboard-Seminar-45.jpg

@MK500

Thanks! I want a similar build
• i7 4930K
• Rampage IV extreme/ p9X79 pro
• MSI GTX 770 4GB (or2 GB)
• 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

But before I purchase I'd like to know, If something is not (as easy) compatible (so I can change)
Is there a good guide for this ? I didn't find one, so I hope you can help
A few questions before I purchase everything:

1. Can I use your guide? Or are there too many differences in hardware?
2. Is your guide up to date? If not could you please change it in the first post and mention the date?
3. Is still everything functioning? If you ran into troubles, please share it in the update.

@MK500 @Leumas @jojjo23 @SamuTnT @stefanhuberfilms @ivanski123 @jojjoj23 @exte1977
and others

In this thread I've read many people with many different problems. This worries me a lot, as I found much more issues than solutions.

ARE YOUR ISSUES FIXED? if so it would be very good if you post the solution (or final result) here somewhere as well. Perhaps update the same post of the issue, with the solution? Then people like me can find their problem more easy in 83 posts in only this thread already

Thanks to shilohh i've got the multimplier going to x12 to x40 but about the random freezes no solution yet, one thing i can say is that it happens 2-3 times in a row every time i boot in osx, after taht 2-3 times finally it boot and stay stable and i can keep the system up for hours and it never happen again.....really don't know waht it can be...

Thanks to shilohh i've got the multimplier going to x12 to x40 but about the random freezes no solution yet, one thing i can say is that it happens 2-3 times in a row every time i boot in osx, after taht 2-3 times finally it boot and stay stable and i can keep the system up for hours and it never happen again.....really don't know waht it can be...

@SamuTnT
That sucks man. I suppose it's not the Motherboard (as it functions with others). There must be a way to solve it, right? Kernel/ DSDT /Kext / less overclock? Did you look everywhere (online)
Or could it be a combination of hardware? If I were you, I would realy hate it. Spending much money for a system, that doesn't function (or are you using Windows)

I wouldn't describe things like getting to the boot screen as an issue
@stefanhuberfilms, and what about SamuTnT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back