Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
¿Its possible to add the steps to get the speedstep that works with overclock in this guide please?
This is awesome, thanks a lot. :)

This is how to get the Mother Board to control stepping. Should have OS controlled stepping soon which will require different settings but for now this works giving 2 states. 12 and whatever you set your turbo ratio to be.

In BIOS:

Ai over clock tuner = manual or auto (if your ram requires xmp, find all the settings from spd info and set them manually. Also set the frequency and voltages manually to match xmp).
EIST (SpeedStep) = disabled
C1E = enabled
All other C states = disabled or auto

Make sure NullCPUPowerManagement kext is installed.

You will want to use offset mode for vcore so your vcore and temps will drop when the CPU steps down to 12. My offset is -0.050 to get me to around 1.266 at 44. Just make sure your vcore is stable in stress tests and at idle. If you go too far negative with offset, you can lose stability at idle.

I'll post pics of my settings later.

I'll post pics of my settings later.

thanks for your help i will try this!

Oh if you post the pics of your last settings will be awesome, are you running mavericks yet?

Thanks!

Still use 10.8.5 but I have a 10.9 install for testing. I won't switch fully to Mav until all the Mac Pro 6,1 components are added to it. Probably 10.9.2 or 10.9.3.

Hey I'm back with a very minute dilemma. So I build "the moof machine" not to long ago and found it was Hackintosh compatible so "why not" was my philosophy. A friend of mine told me to benchmark it using NovaBench and when I did I came to a shocking halt at my score (click). Two zeros under CPU! Either this is a bug in the program or I did something wrong in the post-install.

Again my hardware is:
i7-3970x
ASUS RIVE
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
32 GB RAM

Also the reason I ask here instead of someone with my CPU is last time I was not able to get help from someone with my CPU.
Going to run a benchmark tool in Windows now to see if this is a potential bug or if I screwed up / forgot something.

UPDATE: Instead of rebooting into Windows, I just ran another benchmark on OS X and while I didn't score a 0, my score for a [email protected] was less than I expected. Guess I have to reboot into windows after all and run the tests in good 'ol executable exe form.

Just updated to mavericks and now none of my usb 3.0 ports work properly on my RIVE build. I can mount a drive but data either comes in or out very slowly or corrupted. Please advise!!!

Just updated to mavericks and now none of my usb 3.0 ports work properly on my RIVE build. I can mount a drive but data either comes in or out very slowly or corrupted. Please advise!!!

Just inject a generic USB kext unless you've tried that already.

Hi guys, my specs are:

i7 3970x
Asus rampage 4 extreme (bios 4206)
16gb geil evo veloce 2133MHz
74gb wdraptor sata hd

i've been able to get Maverick up and running, but i have some little annoying problems:

1- randomly the system hangs-up, green-or-blue-or-gray colored screen and no response at all, all i can do i press the reset button

2- the cpu multiplier is always set to x35, no adaptive multiplier (usually in windows it goes down to x12 when not under load)

anyone experiencing these problems?

Hi guys, my specs are:

i7 3970x
Asus rampage 4 extreme (bios 4206)
16gb geil evo veloce 2133MHz
74gb wdraptor sata hd

i've been able to get Maverick up and running, but i have some little annoying problems:

1- randomly the system hangs-up, green-or-blue-or-gray colored screen and no response at all, all i can do i press the reset button

2- the cpu multiplier is always set to x35, no adaptive multiplier (usually in windows it goes down to x12 when not under load)

anyone experiencing these problems?
For speedstep, Everybody with a SandyBrige-E CPU. IvyB-E CPUs are supported in the latest beta of OS X but not SB-E. New Mac Pro is IB-E Xeon. There is a bin-patched AICPUPM kext in the works to get 10.9.2 to accept SB-E CPUs for speedstep but for now, you can read back to the BIOS 4206 settings I posted that will get you 12 and your set turbo (OC) only. However, that might mess things up in windows because you need to set EIST to disabled.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...e-core-i7-3930k-successful-80.html#post732921

Not sure about your crashes but you might want to look into manual voltage settings for better stability.

For speedstep, Everybody with a SandyBrige-E CPU. IvyB-E CPUs are supported in the latest beta of OS X but not SB-E. New Mac Pro is IB-E Xeon. There is a bin-patched AICPUPM kext in the works to get 10.9.2 to accept SB-E CPUs for speedstep but for now, you can read back to the BIOS 4206 settings I posted that will get you 12 and your set turbo (OC) only. However, that might mess things up in windows because you need to set EIST to disabled.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...e-core-i7-3930k-successful-80.html#post732921

Not sure about your crashes but you might want to look into manual voltage settings for better stability.

Hi! Thanks, i've found your setting yesterday while searching on the forum, tried it and it works exactly as i want, from x12 to x40 (i've seen also some mid values like x34-x36, don't know if they can be real, btw isn't that primary) :D

For the bios settings i'm going to save a profile for osx and a profile for win (thanks to asus magic bios :D :D ), as i don't want to use a bootloader i'll keep the two oses separated so to boot each of them i have to go thru the bios, it is not a big problem to switch from one profile to another! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back