Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to ask something. I have exact the same build but different mobo (asus p9x79 deluxe) which is not working well with hackintosh and i want to upgrade to your mobo (rampage) But before doing this; is it possible to multi boot this system? Win 7 and osx? Thanks.
Yeah, no problem. I run my R4E with 2 SSDs(Samsung 840 Pros), one with OSX 10.8.3, and the other with Win7 64bit. You can either boot to windows through Chimera/Chameleon, or manually select the boot disk with the motherboard's quick select on boot.

So they dont conflict? For example i have a ssd and 2 tb hdd. i want to use osx on ssd and windows on hdd. What are the steps for making this setup. Is there a guide? Or is it that simple; ill setup my osx first and install it to my ssd then i ll install windows on hdd and ill select which os to use with quick boot options only? Thanks.

Can i use the new gtx 680 card which comes with 4gb vram. Does ml 10.8.3 fully support it? Thanks.

Can i use the new gtx 680 card which comes with 4gb vram. Does ml 10.8.3 fully support it? Thanks.
Yeah, it should work OOB. In the past there was a >2gb vram fix, but I'm not sure it's necessary anymore.

So they dont conflict? For example i have a ssd and 2 tb hdd. i want to use osx on ssd and windows on hdd. What are the steps for making this setup. Is there a guide? Or is it that simple; ill setup my osx first and install it to my ssd then i ll install windows on hdd and ill select which os to use with quick boot options only? Thanks.

It's probably in the guide; but when you install Windows, make sure the Mac drive is disconnected. You can reconnect right after installation. The Windows installation process likes to mess up the Mac drive.

They play nicely together. I just hold F8 at power up and choose which OS I want, and have been for a year.

MK500; which OS should i install first and does 10.8.3 ml fully supports the new gtx 680 cards with 4gb vram? Thanks.

You will install 10.8.3 by creating your Unibeast USB stick using another Mac or Hackintosh. You must buy it first from the App store on that machine. If you have no other Mac or Hackintosh available you will need to buy Snow Leopard DVD also, and that will be a more complex process that I have not tested.

I believe the 680 4GB will work fine; but I only have tested the 2GB. You should probably find someone with that same video card to make sure it works. Video cards can sometimes be finicky in Hackintosh, so I highly recommend using one that is confirmed working by at least one other person.

You may need the >2gb fix kundica mentioned; but I'm unfamiliar with how this fix works.

Note that while the 680 is great for gaming and most things; I recommend the 580 for CUDA work (like After Effects). The 680 isn't as fast at CUDA as it should be. Look for posts about this earlier in this thread; there's lots of details on CUDA. The 680 is something of a mixed bag. It is faster in some things and slower in others than the last generation. It's a bit more gaming focused.

I am a 3d Modeler. I am using 3D softwares like Autodesk Maya and Luxology Modo. For example in Modo, the renderer uses GPU. I am not a hardcore game player but when a good game comes, i definetely play it. For example far cry 3, bioshock infinite, black ops 2. This is the reason also for installing windows with multiboot. So which card do you suggest me? By the way i know how to install hackintosh. I did before. It just didnt like my hardware. I have a similar setup like you now. I bought rampage IV. Only the graphics card left.

Edit: I bought Zotac GTX 680 4 GB =) Now i am ready to install this masterpiece according to your great guide. Ill let you know the results in Monday. Thank you again for your great guide!

Edit: I bought Zotac GTX 680 4 GB =) Now i am ready to install this masterpiece according to your great guide. Ill let you know the results in Monday. Thank you again for your great guide!

Great! Please help me test my guide by following the steps exactly as written and letting me know if there are any problems at any point. Or if you find something I can clarify better.

Also, I would be VERY THANKFUL if you could take a picture of the SATA ports from the side of the RIVE board. An edge-on picture. I'd like to show a picture outlining which are ASMedia and which are Intel, but I can't take that picture without removing my motherboard. There doesn't seem to be a picture like this anywhere that I can use. I need a picture like this one from vr-zone, but obviously without the watermark:

edge_pic_vrzone.jpg

Thanks for your help making the guide better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back