Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ryanboi1111,
You need to use the Forum Search function. This has been discussed many times before.

tonymacx86 Forum Rule #1:
1. Read, & Research Before Asking Questions.
Please use the search function before creating a topic. The question that you ask, may have already been answered. ;)

I have in many cases the same set up as the topicstarter. Although, i have three last questions which is very hard to find ( or confusing/contradicting :p )

1. I have a double gtx 680 setup (sli), i see they got them to work, but is it already fully supported? Im mostly using it for cuda the cuda cores. Ifnthey are, thats great. I've also read that a Gtx 670 is much cheaper and nearly does the same. I calculated and it's maybe better to get 3 of them in SLI and then get the asus gtx 670 cu2 top? ( i guess the performance would be better ). A 1250w psu should be able to handle that.

2. Is speedstepping & sleep supported with the cpu or not? I've read ful support ...but then again not with this?

3. Also Whats the use of memory raisers? I see that in quite some high end build

Some minor unimportamt question; is the bluetooth alreadynworking? And if yes, does it do wake on bt?

polobear said:
Cuda:

the nvidia 6 series is optimized for single precision calculation, power consumption and noise...so for games. If cuda libraries get optimized, this might help kepler.
Right now, some application are better supported by 5 series chips. depends on your application.

No sleep without sleep enabler, no speedstep.

Memory raisers are used in Macpro, little daughterboards holding the RAM modules...not used in PCs. What you might have seen are ram coolers? Thats marketing crap, even over clocked ddr3 needs no special cooling.

bluetooth is fine, as sleep is not working properly...go figure...

Thanks for clearing that up :)
I know you mentioned it in my build post already too.

The cuda stuff. Its mostly for adobe programs. AFter effects can use multiple cards so far only, perhaps premiere too but not entirely sure anymore. PS etc use single cards still.
Bit of the dilemma for me. Perhaps its better to get the 690 because its made into a single card. Altho i saw the 680 card is supported..the 690 card im not sure. (its going to be the cs6 cloud package)

I also want to build for the future,.. To be frank, i think its best to wait a lil while, unfortunately im not able to wait for another year until like the 7xx cards are out, and have ivy-bridge-e. really tough decision, especially since i can only get one pc every 3 years on 50%, excl tax even. Thats why i go all out with amproper system for day to day use ;)

Was perhaps planning to get some cooling for ram, but thx for the warning :)

Edit: i think i will actually leave the sandy-e alone since it still has the pcie 2.0 insted of 3.0. I think with processing power to the gpus it will make a significant improvement in near future.

gitaarwerk said:
Edit: i think i will actually leave the sandy-e alone since it still has the pcie 2.0 insted of 3.0. I think with processing power to the gpus it will make a significant improvement in near future.

Rampage IV extreme says PCI-e 3.0. Have it switched to 2.0 in bios cause I'm using GTX 570 HD 2.5GB (2.0), but as it is now, all nVidia (and AMD too, I think) PC GPUs are showing PCI-e 1.0 speeds in OS X, and you Probably will never see a performance difference anyway. My card benches just as fast as any of the same on PCs.

Curious. The pci support is on the mobo fine. It's just that the processor doesn't support this. Can also put a single new xeon on it, but i prolly have to get another mobo, or just a whole complete different system. The options are kimitless at the moment, but im very cautious with the rumors and actual upcoming new tech. Feels im in between :x

elteadogg said:
I was able to get the Blackmagic card to work, and I'll detail what was involved along with other issues along the way. ... Needless to say this machine is amazing and got me through 3 weeks of seriously intense video work.

elteadogg: Really glad to hear you got your Blackmagic card working! I'm in the same boat, editor/graphic design (Avid, Final Cut, After Effects) and am going to be building the exact same system with the same Blackmagic card. I'd love to hear what tweaks you made and any other thoughts.

FutureX

gitaarwerk said:
Curious. The pci support is on the mobo fine. It's just that the processor doesn't support this. Can also put a single new xeon on it, but i prolly have to get another mobo, or just a whole complete different system. The options are kimitless at the moment, but im very cautious with the rumors and actual upcoming new tech. Feels im in between :x

PCIe controller is built in to the current generation of CPUs. That's why the IB chips support PCIe 3.0 on the Z68 boards with a bios update. There are certain electrical differences in what's required, but that seems to be relatively minor.

It's not really worth worrying about in any case. Only the most recent Graphics cards support PCIe 3.0 (6XX and 7XXX) and since no current graphics card can saturate a x16 link, about the only real area where this is likely to be important is that it gives a 3.0 x8 slot the equivalent throughput of a 2.0 x16. This is a help when you've got an 1155 socket board wt only 16 PCIe lanes and want to use multiple cards, but not very important when you've got 40 lanes of PCIe and plenty of slots.

So if i recall correct,... If i want to use an asus gtx680 cu2 top card,..in sli,..it wont be much of a problem on the extreme? I know the 680 yet supported on osx, but i might want to switch to win for the cuda support there.

( nowadays tech seems a bit confusing sometimes :))

Has anyone found out a way to control fan speed while in osx?

gitaarwerk said:
So if i recall correct,... If i want to use an asus gtx680 cu2 top card,..in sli,..it wont be much of a problem on the extreme? I know the 680 yet supported on osx, but i might want to switch to win for the cuda support there.

( nowadays tech seems a bit confusing sometimes :))

The 6XX cards are not a good choice if you are doing any sort of 3D or math work. They're fine for video editing and such, which is single precision, but their double precision math is as bad as 1/8 that of the 5XX cards.

It's possible to have two nVidia cards in SLI in a hackintosh, but they won't function as SLI'ed. Just two separate graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back