Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now it’s decided to stabilize! Completed Cinebench R20 5x in a row and consistently got almost 7k. GB5 just finished running a third time getting 14-15k on multi core.

I didn’t change a thing. WTF? :think:

Sounds like an early Christmas.

Probably not for production. The released version of 10.15.3 will be out in about a month, then it might be worth trying. I have both Mojave and Catalina on different disks and can boot to either. So, I'm not stuck using Catalina and this allows me to do a full test without being committed to one or the other.

I will say that day to day, on routine tasks, I am using Catalina. I have cut a few videos (using Resolve) and haven't had any issues. But some programs still don't work on Catalina. Media Composer is one, and Pro Tools just announced a version that will support Catalina. So it's still early days for Catalina.

But, your original post was about lockups. And if you're having lockups/freezes in Mojave, that I can't explain, because it never happened to me in Mojave. If you have situations where the hardware just stops working (mouse freezes, display freezes and you have no choice but to reboot), I would not look to the OS first, I would think about the hardware first, and that means, to me, bios version, memory and bios settings, make sure those are working properly and your settings there are correct, then think about the software.

If, by freezing or lockup, you mean something else, then it might be good to specify what that means. Do you have a situation where an individual program stops working, and you can get out of it, but still have control of the computer? Or is it really a full lockup, where nothing works, and you have to either hit the reset button, or shut down the computer entirely?
Data point here RE: lockups
I recently installed the security updates for 10.13.6 (Hackintosh) and 10.14.6 (real MacBook Pro) and have since had 1 lockup on each machine. Mouse cursor is still able to move, but everything else is frozen. Has never happened on either machine before installing the security updates.

Yes, I think I have followed the guide correctly. I know that TSCAdjustReset is required. A few pages ago I posted help with adjusting the TSCAdjustReset for 18 cores, but my newly created kext wouldn't install correctly. I thought that was why it kept locking up. Someone else posted theirs and I used that (it installed correctly). Apparently that wasn't the issue, or at least not the only issue. The next time it locks up, I'll post the error.

Here's my config.plist and screenshots of drivers and kexts. I removed the serial# etc from the config file (hopefully!).
It wouldn't install? Did you copy it to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other? That is a simple file copy. Are you installing these into Library/Extensions?

Yes, I think I have followed the guide correctly. I know that TSCAdjustReset is required. A few pages ago I posted help with adjusting the TSCAdjustReset for 18 cores, but my newly created kext wouldn't install correctly. I thought that was why it kept locking up. Someone else posted theirs and I used that (it installed correctly). Apparently that wasn't the issue, or at least not the only issue. The next time it locks up, I'll post the error.

Here's my config.plist and screenshots of drivers and kexts. I removed the serial# etc from the config file (hopefully!).

The only thing I can see is that your drivers in the Drivers folder seems old, and I don't see Whatevergreen in your kexts folder. Your screenshots don't show the dates of files, but it's been a while since the drivers had the -64 in their names. It's useful to keep these up to date, as best you can. Not sure there's anything here that's really important. And, I don't see anything really out of sorts in your config.plist, either. Some small details that might improve your system to a minor degree, but nothing I see that could cause lockups.

But you've posted that you haven't had a lockup in some time, so maybe, magically, it's fixed. Merry Christmas!

I was trying to install the kexts and try to keep clover/kexts/other to a minimum per:

I'll start looking up updated versions of kexts, which probably isn't a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK. Both Win10 and Ubuntu work reliably. Especially Ubuntu. I set my 2x RTX's to work for almost a solid week (>90% GPU util each) without fail. Back on High Sierra, I did the same thing with 2x GTX1080's, but alas, no more nvidia support for GTX, and there was never support for RTX! :cry:

I'll work on some troubleshooting (ie, remove RTX's) today. Hopefully the lockups won't return on restart!

Crap, I took a screenshot of the wrong driver folder (stupid clover!). Take a look at this one...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.09.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.09.36 AM.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Data point here RE: lockups
I recently installed the security updates for 10.13.6 (Hackintosh) and 10.14.6 (real MacBook Pro) and have since had 1 lockup on each machine. Mouse cursor is still able to move, but everything else is frozen. Has never happened on either machine before installing the security updates.

Well, that's a thought.....something to consider for sure, if you rely on Mojave, that is. You know, I can't recall if I ever bothered to update to the latest security update. I might not have.....hmm......not going to do it now because I really don't need to, but maybe @GovtDoctor should review this.....

Last edited:
I was trying to install the kexts and try to keep clover/kexts/other to a minimum per:

I'll start looking up updated versions of kexts, which probably isn't a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK. Both Win10 and Ubuntu work reliably. Especially Ubuntu. I set my 2x RTX's to work for almost a solid week (>90% GPU util each) without fail. Back on High Sierra, I did the same thing with 2x GTX1080's, but alas, no more nvidia support for GTX, and there was never support for RTX! :cry:

I'll work on some troubleshooting (ie, remove RTX's) today. Hopefully the lockups won't return on restart!

Crap, I took a screenshot of the wrong driver folder (stupid clover!). Take a look at this one...

I have a lot of respect for @jaymonkey but I think he's dead wrong on this. For years now, I have installed my kext files only in the kext folder in Clover, and also only in the kext folder in OpenCore, and, more importantly, I have had much much less problems that those who install some kexts in /Library/Extensions/ and .../others/ in a kext folder.

Overwhelmingly, on other sites, users routinely install their kext files only in the kext folders on Clover or OpenCore.

Particularly in the case of OpenCore, I have never seen an EFI or a user not use the kext folder in OpenCore for all of their kext files. Other moderators on this site, such as @pastrychef also puts his kexts only in Clover and OpenCore kext folders.

So, you can choose, and save yourself some time and trouble, if you want.

EDIT: You know, there is one thing that I noticed in your config.plist. You had some USB port limit patches enabled. If you are using kgp's USB kext, or some modified version of it, you should not need any USB patches in your config.plist and you should consider disabling them (test and disable, of course).

Last edited:
A Small Rant about the cesspool folder on almost all Macs: /Library/Extensions/!

This folder often contains kext crap from almost every 3rd party vendor on the planet. It's usually a mess. I regularly monitor this folder on all my Macs and I often have to delete kext crap from there. Why do you want to keep that folder clean?

For two reasons. One is obvious, kext files from third party vendors will load there even if you've deleted the application, or you are not using the hardware that requires a third party kext. That means you are loading kexts into memory that support nothing.

The second reason, that more specifically relates to Hackintosh users, is to make sure that the kexts you load in Clover don't also exist in /Library/Extensions/! I can't tell you how many problems users have when they have one version of a kext in /L/E/ and another version loading in Clover! Guaranteed mess is what I call it.

Something to consider for everyone when troubleshooting problems on your computer. Also, this is why a lot of folks do a complete new install of a new version of macOS - to get rid of the crap they've accumulated over the years.

Rant is now over.

EDIT: Of course, if you remove a kext from /Library/Extensions/, you should do it with care, and be ready to put it back in case you've accidentally deleted a file you really need to boot your computer. I delete files there all the time, but I have cloned boot disks that I can use any time if I make a mistake.

There is a free and wonderful utility: Appcleaner. It doesn't always get everything that some crap applications install, but it does do a pretty good job of cleaning your system. But you still need to monitor /L/E/ to make sure you're not loading old kexts that you don't need.

Last edited:
The one thing I know of, that works better with kexts installed to kextcache... is on laptops with certain audio chipsets, if the ALC patch is injected, they need a couple of reboots for sound to start working whenever anything rebuilds the kernel cache. Granted, that's a pretty limited problem, but it shows that the advice to install to /L/E is not for nothing.

The thing to make absolutely clear, though: Set InjectKexts to Detect! No doubt about it, when some are loading from cache, and some are injected - that's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back