Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a bad DP cable. Get a better insulated one

I have the same problem and I've tried four different DP cables (all certified five star cables). Whatever it is, it's not the cable. I still think it could be a MB/Sound card incompatability, but in Windows with that same motherboard, with the AMD drivers, it produces perfect sound (I dual boot, actually, I triple boot - macOS, Windows, Linux). Both Linux and mac have the problem, and Windows, which has the official AMD driver, does not have the problem.

Anyone have experience with this board? I have a SAGE/10G coming was thinking of getting this instead.

Anyone have experience with this board? I have a SAGE/10G coming was thinking of getting this instead.

a couple users here have reported it’s working + onboard 10g. Bummer there’s no thunderbolt header on this board though.

I was really close to buying one on eBay but decided to wait for the Cascade Lake X refresh boards. Hopefully, with Ice Lake coming out soon Apple starts using the integrated Intel WiFi 6 since newer boards come with that.

So, just to verify my findings when my Radeon VII was in my Z370, I asked @pastrychef to check the audio on his Asus Z370-G system which now has a Radeon VII in it, and he reported no audio distortion (post #731 on his Z370 thread):

This suggests that it is either the Asus X299 architecture on their Prime Deluxe boards or the X299 Architecture itself that is the primary cause of the static distortion that comes from the DP to Monitor Audio when on macOS....

While it could still be a bad driver from Apple, or perhaps better said, non-optimal driver from Apple, the Radeon VII works for the most part on non-X299 systems......so the driver that is currently being used for the Radeon VII from Apple, however deficient it might be, still can't be all that bad.....

a couple users here have reported it’s working + onboard 10g. Bummer there’s no thunderbolt header on this board though.

I was really close to buying one on eBay but decided to wait for the cascade lake x refresh boards. Hopefully with ice lake coming out soon Apple starts using the integrated intel WiFi 6 since newer boards come with that.

Thank you for the info. Yeah the lack of TB3 header was the one concern. I am getting the SAGE/10G today and will report my findings. Hoping to swap the boards tonight (watercooled systems are a headache to swap) :(

So, just to verify my findings when my Radeon VII was in my Z370, I asked @pastrychef to check the audio on his Asus Z370-G system which now has a Radeon VII in it, and he reported no audio distortion (post #731 on his Z370 thread):

This suggests that it is either the Asus X299 architecture on their Prime Deluxe boards or the X299 Architecture itself that is the primary cause of the static distortion that comes from the DP to Monitor Audio when on macOS....

While it could still be a bad driver from Apple, or perhaps better said, non-optimal driver from Apple, the Radeon VII works for the most part on non-X299 systems......so the driver that is currently being used for the Radeon VII from Apple, however deficient it might be, still can't be all that bad.....

Is your monitor an LG by any chance?
There is another user complaining about this on another forum (they have Prime Deluxe). They have LG too. I have LG as well.

I will report my findings with SAGE/10G swap tonight. It will be the first thing I test after swapping.:wave:

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Yeah the lack of TB3 header was the one concern. I am getting the SAGE/10G today and will report my findings. Hoping to swap the boards tonight (watercooled systems are a headache to swap) :(

Is your monitor an LG by any chance?
There is another user complaining about this on another forum (they have Prime Deluxe). They have LG too. I have LG as well.

I will report my findings with SAGE/10G swap tonight. It will be the first thing I test after swapping.:wave:

While I have an LG Monitor, its currently in storage, so no, I'm not using an LG Monitor. The monitor I'm currently using is an AOC, and it has the scratchy sound when used on my X299 with the Radeon VII.......

@mm2margaret from initial testing of the SAGE/10G....regarding DisplayPort scratchy audio....it seems have fixed it and that problem is not there anymore. I rebooted 5 times already and none of the times was there any DP scratchy audio. Usually in Prime Deluxe II a simple reboot would cause this issue to arise.

In the process of fixing USB/Wifi/BT and testing 128GB RAM issues etc....but that's my initial impression. Hope this helps.

I have not tested this on Prime Deluxe II, but have you tried a different PCIe port for the Radeon VII? Just a thought. I did not try it because my watercooling tubes were too short to switch PCIe slots.

Last edited:
Not surprised by your findings so far. I knew there was another Sage/10G user who reported no audio issues with the Radeon VII, so it makes sense. I would have been more surprised had you found that your Sage/10G had the audio issue. I always suspected that the architecture of the so-called Prime Deluxe was anything but "prime" except in terms of the dollars Asus guts your bank account with when you purchase this board.....

I have external speakers and I don't need to change any time soon. I will change boards later. Perhaps Apple may eventually improve the driver, but as I always suspected, it's not Apple's issue, not really, it's the Prime Deluxe that is the issue......

EDIT: One question. What about the 10G card/chip? Are you able to use it? Or is it one of the Aquantia chips that you can't use in macOS?

Last edited:
Not surprised by your findings so far. I knew there was another Sage/10G user who reported no audio issues with the Radeon VII, so it makes sense. I would have been more surprised had you found that your Sage/10G had the audio issue. I always suspected that the architecture of the so-called Prime Deluxe was anything but "prime" except in terms of the dollars Asus guts your bank account with when you purchase this board.....

I have external speakers and I don't need to change any time soon. I will change boards later. Perhaps Apple may eventually improve the driver, but as I always suspected, it's not Apple's issue, not really, it's the Prime Deluxe that is the issue......

EDIT: One question. What about the 10G card/chip? Are you able to use it? Or is it one of the Aquantia chips that you can't use in macOS?

The SAGE/10G is $619 at Grooves-Inc if you're in Europe, or $702 at SuperBiiz, it seems like a really good board.

My 128GB memory issues totally went away as I ran Memtest for 8 hours and there were zero errors.

Regarding the 10G chips, I have it disabled for now and am using the Aquantia/Sonnet Solo10G card but the onboard 2 ports are Intel X550 10G ports and the EEPROM has to be modified. I will try that a little later when I set everything up. Currently having to do some work arounds for the front USB3.0 ports since the onboard USB3.0 port is just 1 and no USB2.0 ports anywhere not even onboard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back