Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my odyssey seems to be over for the good!

As I said, I found a sealed 9980XE for 1500€ and these are the results:

2 cores @ 5GHz / 4 cores @ @4.7GHZ / 18 cores @ 4,4GHZ / AVX Offsets 5-6 / AutoVoltage / 360 AiO Push/Pull

I don't think there's any power to squeeze more, do you guys??

View attachment 417006View attachment 417007

Very good scores. How are the temps?

Did you change CPU Input Voltage to 1.21 and offset CPU Uncore to about -0.005?

That will help with stability in macOS. AVX should be ok between 4-5 but see what's more stable.

You can definitely get more out of this if you are willing to increase temps, up to you. I clocked mine back down so it's between 72-74k for multi score because I want to stay under 80c.

Very good scores. How are the temps?

Did you change CPU Input Voltage to 1.21 and offset CPU Uncore to about -0.005?

That will help with stability in macOS. AVX should be ok between 4-5 but see what's more stable.

You can definitely get more out of this if you are willing to increase temps, up to you. I clocked mine back down so it's between 72-74k for multi score because I want to stay under 80c.

With those clock and voltages set to Auto (I'm a newbie in OC, I'm scared to manually input voltage values), temps are in the 80/85 in full AVX load - 70/75 in SSE instructions. Keep in mind I got 2 cores at 5 GHz, 'cause I don't want to lose anything in single. That said, my unit seems unable to reach 4.5 on all cores, dunno if it's voltages related or cooling related or silicon related... anyway I'm really happy with these performances, I've neve had a system this powerful... you know mate, our systems are pretty similar, they SCREAM! Ahahah :clap:

With those clock and voltages set to Auto (I'm a newbie in OC, I'm scared to manually input voltage values), temps are in the 80/85 in full AVX load - 70/75 in SSE instructions. Keep in mind I got 2 cores at 5 GHz, 'cause I don't want to lose anything in single. That said, my unit seems unable to reach 4.5 on all cores, dunno if it's voltages related or cooling related or silicon related... anyway I'm really happy with these performances, I've never had a system this powerful... you know mate, our systems are pretty similar, they SCREAM! Ahahah :clap:

Yes, they are indeed damn fast. And I believe they will be close to what the upcoming 28core Mac Pro will be at. Most likely we will beat their Single core speed and match the multi core or even surpass it with a little more bump in speed.

The 9980XE's are well binned so I doubt you'll have issues at x45/x46 multiplier, but you will need a better cooler most likely.

I was easily able to do x45/x46 (I stuck with x45 for a while) easily and it never surpassed 82-84c under full load (I run Cinebench R20 on loop since it's the closest to real world scenario)....and Prime 95, the middle option (In Place Large FFT) runs like butter for a long time with the same temp. The small FFT option is useless and will burn the house down and this is the reason I set the max temp to 84c in the BIOS.

Other than that I believe I'm running at x41/x42 right now on all cores and it's performing fantastically and under 80c (hovering around 78c/79c) on a Cinebench loop.

Since I couldn't run 128GB 3600MHz RAM on this CPU, I ordered 128GB 3200MHz RAM and I am hoping it will run well. Plus it costs half the price of the 3600 :thumbup:

Also Cinebench R15 hits the AVX really hard, Cinebench R20 not so much. Check the temps with both and if you can loop both that would be awesome.

I have also moved over to OpenCore and have a pretty perfect setup running and am very happy. It is much more difficult to set up than Clover but not impossible. I gained ~1k in multicore after going to OpenCore. Can't explain why, but it just happened.

And I believe they will be close to what the upcoming 28core Mac Pro will be at. Most likely we will beat their Single core speed and match the multi core or even surpass it with a little more bump in speed.
Here's the Geekbench scores from a 28 core Xeon W-3175X with no overclock. OS was Mojave 10.14.5.
It can be very easily overclocked. Some LN2 overclocking fanatics have hit 5.7 GHz with one.

From LTT youtube channel

A 4.7-4.8GHz overclock is quite easy using a decent-sized radiator and premium CPU block. An interesting thing to note, too, is that 28 cores and 56 threads complete the benchmarks so quickly that the chip doesn't have enough time to really heat up.
Tom's Hardware.

Here's the Geekbench scores from a 28 core Xeon W-3175X with no overclock. OS was Mojave 10.14.5.
It can be very easily overclocked. Some LN2 overclocking fanatics have hit 5.7 GHz with one.

View attachment 417054 From LTT youtube channel

Tom's Hardware.

Yep, seen that. But can't overclock a Mac :mrgreen:

And LN2 is unrealistic. Great for benchmarking and beating top scores.

The 28c Mac Pro is going to have a lower base clock and a higher boost clock than the W-3175X, most likely single threads are going to be lower than 5500 and Multiscore around 74-76k.

I guess we will find out in September.

If these Gigabyte boards ever get back in stock we can install the W-3175X and overclock to 5GHz.
Have the new Mac Pro's performance, probably even much better, a few months early. I think that
Newegg does have some in stock but they ain't cheap.

The 28c Mac Pro is going to have a lower base clock and a higher boost clock than the W-3175X, most likely single threads are going to be lower than 5500 and Multiscore around 74-76k.

I rather doubt. In the geekbench database you can find W-3275, which will differ only in the size of the supported RAM.
The results W-3275 Multiscore are below 40K.

Oh I have built an X299 Prime deluxe/i9-7900X/Asus Rog Vega 64 machine starting way back when KGP started his thread and I have never run into this issue but here goes hope someone can help.

The last working version of official clover that I seem to be able to use is v4972
I checked for an update and v5018 showed up so I updated like usual and Clover gui loaded but macOS entry had disappeared

so i payed around and added the default clover apfs driver and that made macOS show back up but it would not boot just solid black screen.

to get clover working properly again I redownloaded KGP's most recent EFI folder from the guide then installed clover v4972 over it and copied all my kexts/patched ACPI ssdt's/clover config but i did not mess with any drivers i left whatever KGP had in the folder and whatever Clover installer upgraded.

I thought it was v5018 so on another drive I Installed a fresh copy of v4988 copied all my config stuff and same black screen and no boot.

I noticed that with 4988 there was a change made to clover's organization of drivers in the installer that is also present in v5018.

this is the very first time a clover update has done this to me, do I also need to update my kexts like lilu and whatnot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back